Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM

38 posts, read 138,035 times

Advertisements

So i am a hairstylist in the d.c area thinking about a move to Seattle. I hate overly hot summers and overly cold winters my comfort level is chilly to warm and i love overcast and rain.

Being a stylist means that i have to like the hair and fashion where i live and I am not a fan of west coast hair. I find it to be overly blonde and done up.... boring

I like thinks a bit more messy/funky than LA

is Seattle right for me?

also im curious to how cold or hot it gets on a personal level there. is it like jacket cold or like snow boots and ear muffs. same with summer. is it ever warm enough to swim in the ocean without a wet suit?

thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM

701 posts, read 2,031,278 times
I think upper 40's is kind of the average temp during the winter... So not too cold, but it's that, coupled with the rainy drizzle and it can be fairly miserable.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hood View Post
Being a stylist means that i have to like the hair and fashion where i live and I am not a fan of west coast hair. I find it to be overly blonde and done up.... boring

I like thinks a bit more messy/funky than LA
West Coast hair? Overly blonde and done up... interesting... Definitely not the style here. Au Naturale is mostly the style here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hood View Post
is Seattle right for me?

also im curious to how cold or hot it gets on a personal level there. is it like jacket cold or like snow boots and ear muffs. same with summer. is it ever warm enough to swim in the ocean without a wet suit?

thanks for the help
We don't always get White Christmas... more likely a wet rainy one.

During the summer, Puget Sound doesn't feel cold to me. I do know some people wear wetsuit. When I caught a crab during rowing, Lake Washington didn't feel cold at all and this was early winter.

But its all relative... You just might like it here, it's very mild weather-wise. My friend who is a Seattle Native is currently living in DC, definitely wants to come back home.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,347 times
Seattle is PERFECT for you. I moved from D.C. 12 years ago, you will love it. If you are looking to work at a good salon here that suits your style, look into Gary Manuel Salon and Seven. And btw, I have consistently had the exact hair styles you describe and you see a lot of that on the street here, especially in the downtown area.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,853 times
I would take a cool Seattle summer over DC any day. It would be awesome to wear a sweater early in the morning for a change during the month of August. To breathe clean, cool, crisp air on a sunny morning.

From late May to mid-September, it is HOT, HUMID and HAZY every...single...day in Washington, DC. Our air quality has been coded orange and red for the entire summer. We had may be 5 or 6 days when high temperatures were UNDER 90 degrees F in DC. DC had 100 degree (plus) for like four days in a row during a week in July. We are not talking about a desert kind of heat that you find in California or Arizona...you are breathing and walking in a sauna! One hundred degree temps with 60 percent humidity. The air is so thick that you can cut it with a knife. I am sick and tired of walking three blocks and my shirt is already drenched in body sweat. GROSS! It has been unusually hot on the East Coast this summer. The electric bills are outrageous because of the A/C running 24/7 nonstop since late May. I hate Mid-Atlantic summers with a passion.

I would trade a season of a steamy, swampy hell in DC for nine months of cloudy, cold and wet Seattle weather.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:06 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
To Nick Hood and coldbliss: Both of you make good points about Washington D.c. weather compared to Seattle weather. D.C. sounds so much hotter than NYC and Boston in the summer! But both regions (PCNW and Northeast) do have their positives about weather/climate.

Im from the Northeast too and I like Seattle weather a lot of the time. I like cloudy/rainy days but I also like sunny warmer days and Seattle does have those days too.

Seattle definitely has good air quality most of the year. The code red air quality for D.C. sounds scary. I dont think Seattle ever had code orange/red air quality before. Most days are "code green" air quality with a few days per year that get to code yellow, which is moderate air quality.

There were about 5-8 days since Early July that got to 90-95 degrees but there were many more days that were 70s-mid 80s for highs and 50s for lows as well as days I had to wear a sweater the entire day with highs in the mid to upper 60s and lows in the 50s.

Yesterday(August 31) I had to wear my winter coat outside the entire day because it was 55 degrees and rain most of the day and with a high at 58-60 degrees briefly for a few hours, and I enjoyed the weather, but thats rare for a day that cold for July-September in Seattle. However, there were many days in May and June I had to wear a sweater and even a winter coat all day, even into Late June, with some days with highs in the 70s mixed in back then. Within a few days the highs will be sunny and in the upper 70s and I will enjoy that as much as the rain and winter coat weather yesterday. I heard it got up to 95 degrees in parts of the Northeast yesterday!

Overall, Seattle's winters usually arent that much warmer than Washington D.C. winters. You still would have to wear a winter coat a lot of the time, but it is a bit warmer than winters there and it is noticeable. Only 5-8 days on average with highs below freezing per year. The Puget Sound(semi oceanic) and the lakes can get warm enough to swim in during the warmer months. However the Pacific Ocean coastline is COLD all year but still nice pristine coastline!

I think going to Seattle from Washington D.C. will be a great change and break from D.C but still having some/most of the things you had in the D.C. area while experiencing a different city and you will enjoy it. I certainly have(But I am from NYC.) And its great to see someone else(if you move here) that wont complain about the weather here and actually enjoy it!

Last edited by ; 09-01-2010 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: