Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,899 times

Advertisements

Currently, I'm 17 and a senior in high school. I live in Ohio but am for sure traveling to the west coast to pursue a career in game design. There is a school in Redmond that I have grown particularily fond of, but it doesn't have dorms. I've grown worried about what I'm going to do because I'm going to be fresh out of high school and thrown into the real world. No more mom to pay for everything... haha.

Anyways, my mom is a single parent with two kids. We have an apartment in Ohio which I believe is only $450 a month to rent. Shes a waitress at a local restaurant and can barely afford all the bills she has that, in total, probably adds up to around $650-$700 a month.

I've done my research online and it looks like I cannot find apartments any lower than $700 a month. With the cost of living, food, phone bills, and depending on if utilities are included, the cost every month can exceed $900. I think. I'm going to be going to college, and I'm going to have to find a job... My problem is, I'm not going to make enough money to even pay the rent every month by making minimum wage if thats all i can find.

So, I guess my inquiry begins here. With the cost of living higher out there, do jobs pay higher to accomodate? Does anyone have any suggestions on some of the best places to live? I'd like to stay kinda in between Redmond and White Center or atleast a reasonable distance between both. I'll be commuting to White Center a lot as well.

Thank you ahead of time for any advice you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheet of paper View Post
Currently, I'm 17 and a senior in high school. I live in Ohio but am for sure traveling to the west coast to pursue a career in game design. There is a school in Redmond that I have grown particularily fond of, but it doesn't have dorms. I've grown worried about what I'm going to do because I'm going to be fresh out of high school and thrown into the real world. No more mom to pay for everything... haha.

Anyways, my mom is a single parent with two kids. We have an apartment in Ohio which I believe is only $450 a month to rent. Shes a waitress at a local restaurant and can barely afford all the bills she has that, in total, probably adds up to around $650-$700 a month.

I've done my research online and it looks like I cannot find apartments any lower than $700 a month. With the cost of living, food, phone bills, and depending on if utilities are included, the cost every month can exceed $900. I think. I'm going to be going to college, and I'm going to have to find a job... My problem is, I'm not going to make enough money to even pay the rent every month by making minimum wage if thats all i can find.

So, I guess my inquiry begins here. With the cost of living higher out there, do jobs pay higher to accomodate? Does anyone have any suggestions on some of the best places to live? I'd like to stay kinda in between Redmond and White Center or atleast a reasonable distance between both. I'll be commuting to White Center a lot as well.

Thank you ahead of time for any advice you may have.
Redmond and White Center? Why on earth would you do that? That's roughly 25 miles into the teeth of traffic. If you want cheaper rent and lower commuting costs, head east or north, not south or west.

Are you referring to Digipen? I was under the impression that was really tough to get into and that they have a huge backlog.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Redmond and White Center? Why on earth would you do that? That's roughly 25 miles into the teeth of traffic. If you want cheaper rent and lower commuting costs, head east or north, not south or west.

Are you referring to Digipen? I was under the impression that was really tough to get into and that they have a huge backlog.
Thank you for the suggestion. The reason why I want to be closer to White Center is because I have somebody who lives there that I kinda want to be closer to. I plan on commuting to White Center very often.

Yes, I was refering to Digipen. I was just really interested in the school. It seems like a perfect fit for what I want to do. If its too hard to get into, I'll still try, but I'll look at other nearby schools that offer something similar. I was looking at the Bachelor's of Science in Game Design. Most other places I look at, focus on art more than programming. I'm not quite on the level of a college art student so I decided to go into the programming more...

Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
18 yr old college freshman have a gang of roomates to help pay the bills.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM

232 posts, read 804,752 times
I don't know the answers to your questions, but just wanted to say, wow, I'm impressed at the amount of responsibility and independence you have for a 17 year old. Good luck....

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM

24 posts, read 50,081 times
Rent a one bedroom aptment and share with three other students. that will help you save big. goodluck.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM

404 posts, read 1,030,631 times
We're in the same boat, except I'm down in Texas and will be applying to UW soon. The only difference is I've lived in WA for most of my life.

Like others have suggested, having roommates is necessary in order to keep the costs down. I'd look into getting a room at a house for $400-$450. It's certainly doable. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
18 yr old college freshman have a gang of roomates to help pay the bills.
Yeah I gotta meet people out there! Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
I don't know the answers to your questions, but just wanted to say, wow, I'm impressed at the amount of responsibility and independence you have for a 17 year old. Good luck....
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKRN View Post
Rent a one bedroom aptment and share with three other students. that will help you save big. goodluck.
Thanks. Ill certainly consider this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
We're in the same boat, except I'm down in Texas and will be applying to UW soon. The only difference is I've lived in WA for most of my life.

Like others have suggested, having roommates is necessary in order to keep the costs down. I'd look into getting a room at a house for $400-$450. It's certainly doable. Good luck!
see, I wanna go to Digipen in Redmond. But if I can find a course in UW or SU that fits what i need, I'd certainly take a shot at those.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKRN View Post
That would be hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: