Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 25,141 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating to Seattle. Looking into the Capitol Hill or Wallingford neighborhoods. Are these areas safe/affordable for a family of 4 (both kids under 4)?

Expected salary is around 70k though nothing is nailed down yet.

Would a family this age/size seem out of place in these areas? Should I just give up and move to Bellevue?

We are considering these areas due in part to the ability to actually walk to everything we need.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Wallingford is more for the family then Capital Hill, Capitall Hill is more the hippies and college scene. It's a bit more "dangerous" because of the bars and clubs etc - so the late evenings it gets a bit rowdy. It's not a family place to be, but if you like REALLY urban and funky then there you go.

People live in Bellevue for clean streets, and nice homes, quiet neighborhoods that are safe for children to play and many many family things to do. OH and the school kick ass.

Since your kids are under 4 you probably haven't had to think of schools yet. I would advise you to start thinking about it. I would kill to be in the kitchy areas, but I moved to suburbs for my kids to have a better education. But it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
it also depends on what part of Capitol Hill. Lower Capitol Hill I would not regard as great for kids, not the Pike/Pine corridor or Broadway, but between around 12th up to about 19th, and north of or adjacent to Volunteer park is quite nice and kid friendly, just not so affordable.
Wallingford is a nice choice if you don't want to be in Bellevue.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:46 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,048 times
I don't see too many strollers until about 12th Ave and above. If I had a kid I would like to be around Volunteer Park but alas, $$$.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 25,141 times
Great responses so far. Thanks for the specifics!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:33 PM

57 posts, read 112,263 times
While using Google street view of the international district, I saw two different couples walking strollers with children in them, and they seemed dressed like everyone else.

Is 70k a year the total income from 2 salaries, or just one salary as your post seems to indicate? If its one salary, the spouse could potentially score some kind of non traditional job. I've seen lots of interesting and varied jobs, such as babysitting where you can bring your own child and medical transcription working at home. A 2nd salary that doesnt require the child to be in day care can be a big help.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
I lived in several locations on Capitol Hill. Most of Capitol Hill is denser than most of Wallingford, but the north end of the hill, anywhere north of about Roy Street is pretty magical, particularly east of 15th. Some gorgeous old houses and some unique spectacular views. 15th and 19th have some good shops and restaurants. 45th Street in Wallingford is teeming with good restaurants,and has a generally older populace than the Capitol Hill denizens ( except North Capitol Hill)...When I think of the stereotypical aging liberal ex hippie, the guy with the gray ponytail and Birkenstocks and driving a Volvo or Subaru wagon adorned with bumperstickers that say things like " I have a worm bin and I vote", I think of Wallingford.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromGA View Post
While using Google street view of the international district, I saw two different couples walking strollers with children in them, and they seemed dressed like everyone else.
But that isn't an indication that they live in ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingzero View Post
Should I just give up and move to Bellevue?

We are considering these areas due in part to the ability to actually walk to everything we need.

OP, there are many areas other than Wallingford and CH that would also provide the walkability factor. The elementary schools in that area (and Madison Park) are well ranked. Are you looking for the urban factor?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,803 times
Capital Hill is not so family oriented. More family oriented areas include Ballard, Phinney Ridge, Green Lake (closer to Green Lake than Aurora), Wallingford, Fremont and Upper Queen Anne. And Magnolia.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,496 times
Check out Green Lake/Wallingford. Good family area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area