Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,312,053 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm the odd duck out. I married when I was 27, and have a grad degree. But I met the right person. And that's what counts most. That being said, very few of my friends are married, and most of my friends are in my age group (25-35). I think the comment about marriage coming later for white collar professionals is true - it takes longer to get all that education and then get established. Further, we don't have the money out of college like our parents or grandparents (who got their education from the GI bill most likely) to pay it off quickly. So, we're stuck paying debt for the first 5-10 years. Meanwhile we're earning more and we want to enjoy the rewards that all that hard work for the first 21-25 years of our lives were spent working for.

I don't have regret marrying, but I am confident that if I didn't marry then I'd be ... enjoying the fruits of this world, in many ways. But since I did get married and I feel inside that I'm ready for kids, that's what counts most.

So don't feel wrong about not wanting to marry early. I'd say, do it when you're ready. Too many people these days get married without being mature enough to understand what marriage is or what comes with the territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 AM

807 posts, read 2,250,999 times
Good post ^

Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,439,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
But I met the right person. And that's what counts most. .
Very true.

Quote:
So don't feel wrong about not wanting to marry early. I'd say, do it when you're ready. Too many people these days get married without being mature enough to understand what marriage is or what comes with the territory.
That's the key here, Anders. It is not something to be rushed. Seattle is a great place to be single.

Take a breath, you've got plenty of years left to be legally bound to somebody.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,654,906 times
Quote:
I guess I'm the odd duck out. I married when I was 27, and have a grad degree.
Age 27 is not married early - it's the average age - and right in the Late 20s to Mid 30s range I mentioned. Most people consider "Early" as age 24 or younger
And of course mental maturity is in there too (I've met many mature 24 year old and super immature 27 year olds) but I was trying to keep it simple

Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 AM

918 posts, read 1,687,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Age 27 is not married early - it's the average age - and right in the Late 20s to Mid 30s range I mentioned.
Depends where. F.i. in Indiana, everyone is already divorced at least once by 27

Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM

172 posts, read 440,998 times
Marriage is devotion. If your not devoted, don't get married. My wife and I were married in our early 20's and had a kid while in college. We both worked part time jobs and managed to attend school full time juggling the kid back and forth between classes since we couldn't afford day care. We now both have our degrees in communications and math education. Such trials have strengthed our marriage. I now hope to make it to grad school soon and am preparing to take the Gmed.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

542 posts, read 1,473,638 times
I got marred at 31, which was a perfect age for me. My experience was I grew up and changed a LOT throughout my 20s, and while I think this continues through your entire life, there is a lot of getting to really know yourself that happens through your 20s and even into your 30s, once you are away from your parents and on your own. While this will continue through your life when you have a partner, it's good to spend time by yourself and allow for that to happen.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,743,984 times
All the first time pregnant people I know are between 30-37. Marriage happens 1-3 years beforehand.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 PM

402 posts, read 1,018,002 times
You don't even know yourself at 21 years of age, let alone another person. People develop and evolve over time as their lives change and they experience different ups and downs. It's better to wait until you have experienced life a little IMO. Then you know who you are, what you want, and what you will accept.

Right now you should be enjoying your life and having fun. In fact, you should be doing that at any age. If you find someone you fall in love with while enjoying life, obviously you will get married. You shouldn't have a predetermined notion of when and how that will happen though. You should just let it happen.

In a word, relax!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,687,723 times
Well I wasn't meaning that *I* wanted to get married, I just wanted to know about the Seattle community more so. I wanted to know what kind of environment I should expect before I got my hopes up making friends only to find out they won't be available for the most part like my situation here. Personally I know I can't handle such a commitment right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area