Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times

Advertisements

I'm making another scouting trip to Seattle next month for a possible relocation. I grew up in NH and really miss eating whole-belly fried clams. This is about the only way clams come in New England. I found 2 places in San Diego that serve them, but does anyone know of a place in Seattle?

While I'm at it. Does anyone know a "New York Style" chinese restaurant? No, I'm not kidding. The chinese restaurants in the Northeast cook their chinese food with a slightly different twist. I'm sure it is nothing like what they do in China, but I love it nonetheless. For instance, the fried rice in most of the US is light brown in color. The fried rice in NH where I grew up is dark brown. I used to have a New York Style chinese restaurant near me in Orlando, but there are none close to me in CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Whole-Belly Fried Clams in Seattle?-img_0003.jpg   Any Whole-Belly Fried Clams in Seattle?-screen-shot-2010-09-23-10.39.51  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I'm making another scouting trip to Seattle next month for a possible relocation. I grew up in NH and really miss eating whole-belly fried clams. This is about the only way clams come in New England. I found 2 places in San Diego that serve them, but does anyone know of a place in Seattle?

While I'm at it. Does anyone know a "New York Style" chinese restaurant? No, I'm not kidding. The chinese restaurants in the Northeast cook their chinese food with a slightly different twist. I'm sure it is nothing like what they do in China, but I love it nonetheless. For instance, the fried rice in most of the US is light brown in color. The fried rice in NH where I grew up is dark brown. I used to have a New York Style chinese restaurant near me in Orlando, but there are none close to me in CA.
That's definitely a New England delicacy. Thought about replacing with fried oysters?

As for the fried rice, the reason why the rice is brown in color is because of the soy sauce. If it's light in color, less and lighter ("healthier", less sodium) soy sauce.

FWIW, I think Seattle's Chinese food is better than NY's (I highly recommend Yea's Wok in Newcastle).

Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM

217 posts, read 561,446 times
Ha Ha
I remember ordering fried clams in Boston with some local pals, I bit into them, chewed grit and spit them out.
They howled at me and said I was only used to the "howard johnson clams".
I thought they were playing some kind of cruel joke on me.
I love some fried clams but don't like the dirt those Beantowners seem to enjoy.
You can have it. blech!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
That's definitely a New England delicacy. Thought about replacing with fried oysters?

As for the fried rice, the reason why the rice is brown in color is because of the soy sauce. If it's light in color, less and lighter ("healthier", less sodium) soy sauce.

FWIW, I think Seattle's Chinese food is better than NY's (I highly recommend Yea's Wok in Newcastle).
Nah, oysters are about the only seafood I don't eat :^( As for the chinese food, I think it has a lot to do with what you grew up with. My favorite chinese food is from New England, followed by Germany. I'm an oddball. In my experience, the closer I get to China the worse the chinese food is LOL. I'd probably starve if I actually visited China and tried "authentic" chinese food.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
Ha Ha
I remember ordering fried clams in Boston with some local pals, I bit into them, chewed grit and spit them out.
They howled at me and said I was only used to the "howard johnson clams".
I thought they were playing some kind of cruel joke on me.
I love some fried clams but don't like the dirt those Beantowners seem to enjoy.
You can have it. blech!
I can imagine that. I'd probably do the same thing if I grew up elsewhere. That said, there has to be someplace in Seattle where I can find those gritty whole-belly fried clams...or maybe not. I flew some in last year to where I live. I even got me a new deep fryer. Emeril's job is safe. By the time I got done hacking on them they were like fried rubber.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM

217 posts, read 561,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
By the time I got done hacking on them they were like fried rubber.
I think the secret is high heat, super quick fry.
I couldn't imagine anywhere in town serving Northeast style (sandy bellies)fried clams and hope to stay in business.
It's surely an aquired taste.
Good luck finding them!

Old 10-08-2015, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
Default New England Fried Clams, YES! W/the bellies

This is ironic on several levels, the first being that I am a native Seattleite, now living again for the second time in San Diego County. I also lived in the Boston area, and I miss my fried clams. For those of you who have not had this experience, we are not talking about fried clam "strips", which you can find in the frozen section of your local market. To answer your question, no, there are no restaurants in the P.N.W. that serve our beloved clam. The reason being is that we do not have the correct variety of clams on the west coast to make them with. I was going through such withdrawals a few years ago in Seattle, that I was ready to order my Ipswich clams and have them sent frozen overnight. The price with the weight of the ice was around $145.00. I was excited when I found that there were not one, but two restaurants in San Diego County that had whole fried clams on the menu, but both places were a disappointment as there was something missing in the flavor, and the texture. Both of these restaurant import their clams from New England.
I was in Rancho Bernardo today at lunchtime, and stopped by the Bite of Boston, to ty it again. They were out of clams after the lunch crowd. I have not been back to the Studio Café as of yet, after all, every place deserves a second chance.
So, as far as Chinese food goes, I can only say that I have found only one good Chinese restaurant in north county, the flavor is vey different than what I am use to, and what they do to Chinese BBQ pork is a shame. Forget about any hot mustard.
My hunt continues for New England's fried clams, on the west coast. Mean while, I live very close to two outstanding Italian Restaurants in N.E. Vista, CA., and for this I feel blessed! Ciao! Jay

Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Try some fried razor clams, which is a NW delicacy. When I used to dig them as a kid down on the coast (Oyhut to Moclips), we'd clean, bread, and fry them right on the beach. Ummm good. Bring your own salt, pepper, lemon, and ketchup (or cocktail sauce).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area