Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM

64 posts, read 216,127 times

Advertisements

I have been looking into a job opportunity in Auburn. I was thinking that I could live in Seattle and commute since it is a reverse commute, but I tried it today and it was just too much.

The problem I am having is finding a nice neighborhood with really good schools around Auburn. The closest highly rated schools seem to be at least 20 miles away, with the exception of Maple Valley. I have been to Maple Valley and it was ok, but for some reason, not really my style. I think it is all the new construction that gives it a cookie-cutter look to me.

I am willing to look into private schools, but the only private schools in the area seem to be religiously affiliated.

So, is Maple Valley my only option?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
redfin searches can be set to show area schools and their scores. You probably need to take the scores with a grain of salt but they are better than nothing. I like to set the max house price real low when looking at schools to keep the mls listings from filling the screen.

Our current governor grew up in Auburn, maybe that is an endorsement, maybe not.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:51 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
You could also check out Lake Tapps for the Dieringer school district, which is well rated. Lake Tapps is just south of Auburn. The con about the school district is that there is no High school. They go over to the next school district for that (I *think* the Bonney Lake district-- their high school is also well ranked).

Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM

292 posts, read 1,447,810 times
For what it's worth, two schools in Federal Way earned spots on Newsweek's Best High Schools List: Thomas Jefferson and Federal Way High.

But more important than crunching research numbers, what is important to you and your family in a school? AP classes? Courses of study? Clubs? Diversity? Make a short list and look for schools that offer those things.

Test scores tell you that the district is good at getting a group of students to meet a standard. If it's high school, that's a 10th grade standard, and it usually means they have had a pretty stable population of students to work with. But does that mean it's the best fit for your family?

For example, Mt. Tahoma High has 91% of 10th graders reading at a 10th grade level; Sumner 90%, Auburn Riverside 85%. If your student is in a stable, healthy, supportive home environment, is that range of scores really going to have an affect on him or her? But electives and extracurricular offerings might. And the communities might appeal to your family in other areas.

Personally, I would never move out to the Tahoma SD just for the schools. For one thing, a big consideration for me as a parent is the array of activities an area provides kids. There is not a lot to do in Maple Valley. And while you'll find drugs anywhere, the district had a big drug crackdown in 2007 ( Southeast King County News | Taking a stand against drugs | Seattle Times Newspaper ) Again, look at the big picture and pick a community for your family that works on all levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area