Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
That's a pretty good list. I just hate getting guilt tripped. I'm living on a tight budget myself so I couldn't see myself giving money to every bleedin' person. I'd be homeless too.
Guilt Trip?? What guilt? Those people will eventually die like you & I will no point in slowing the process for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
It's really easy - just say "No." Or ignore them. It's what I do. And I sleep very well at night.
I agree with this. Bums prey on the soft, weak & lost. The only humans one should care for is the ones we know personally. Anyone that fails in life deserves to be washed away. Its not our jobs to save them.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,765 times
Default Seattle a Ghetto

Some of my friends went to Seattle over the summer and said that it was a ghetto. There definition of ghetto might differ from mine but this is what they said.
They said there were homeless people everywhere and it was dangerous.

I didn't believe them so I came here to ask of its truthfulness. I don't mean to bash but I felt the need to ask because I thought Seattle was a nice city.(I have only been there once though)

Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
We do have a lot of homeless people that are aggressive and/or intrusive. However, it's not the case that these homeless people are the ones committing all the crimes.

Perhaps Seattle was too urban a experience for your friends?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
Seattle is one of the safest and least ghetto cities I have ever been in. There is one area in Belltown that I felt uncomfortable walking around at dusk with my small children, but in general, the city is totally non-threatening, extremely safe, clean, and absolutely not ghetto at all. Los Angeles is much more ghetto than Seattle, and parts of San Francisco as well.

There are a lot of homeless people in Seattle (though not more than in San Francisco), and certainly not more than I've ever seen in any large city.

I see your location says you're in Orange County. That's currently where I am, and where I went to high school. If your friends are from Orange County, too, then I could see why they would call Seattle ghetto. The general attitude of people from Orange County tends to be, "If it's not stucco, under 25 years old, filled with BMWs or Mercedes, beige and/or shiny, it's ghetto." Heck, Laguna Beach has a huge population of homeless people and it's not a large city, and most people I know in Orange County don't refer to it as ghetto (because it's not).

V. =)

Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Seattle is one of the safest and least ghetto cities I have ever been in. There is one area in Belltown that I felt uncomfortable walking around at dusk with my small children, but in general, the city is totally non-threatening, extremely safe, clean, and absolutely not ghetto at all. Los Angeles is much more ghetto than Seattle, and parts of San Francisco as well.

There are a lot of homeless people in Seattle (though not more than in San Francisco), and certainly not more than I've ever seen in any large city.

I see your location says you're in Orange County. That's currently where I am, and where I went to high school. If your friends are from Orange County, too, then I could see why they would call Seattle ghetto. The general attitude of people from Orange County tends to be, "If it's not stucco, under 25 years old, filled with BMWs or Mercedes, beige and/or shiny, it's ghetto." Heck, Laguna Beach has a huge population of homeless people and it's not a large city, and most people I know in Orange County don't refer to it as ghetto (because it's not).

V. =)
You hit it right on the spot, they live (and work) in OC. So that is probably the attitude they had. I think why I didn't get the same feeling they did in Seattle is because I spend half my day in LA. LA is much more ghetto than Seattle I think. I have only been there once though(last year) so my judgment could have been wrong because I did a bunch of touristy things

Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
Honestly, I too am used to stucco/new builds little boxes on the hillside etc. So when i started living in various places across the country i was like man so many run down ghetto looking places (only perception, because thats generally where the ghettos were in Phoenix)

I now have learned to appreciate the beauty of various architecture and developed communities.
I will be in Seattle for a few days in the next few months, i have heard it is not even close to ghetto, I can't wait to finally see what it is like.

I will mention, While in San Francisco...throughout the majority of Downtown I felt it was as safe and walkable as could be..although i didn't travel around it much at night so who knows?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
There are a lot of homeless people, there is no arguing that. Or I should say there are a lot of "homeless" people. I suppose it deserves quotations since most of them are not, in fact, homeless.

Ghetto, however? It's one of the cleanest, most modern, safest big cities in the world. Seriously, I know people who live in small town Oregon that absolutely HATE going to downtown areas of large cities that love Seattle because, as they put it, "it doesn't 'feel' huge, but it does at the same time" and "I can walk around downtown and feel completely comfortable".

There's no real hostility in the air up here. You aren't gonna come across a corner full of 'bangers, or a sidewalk laden with people in some huge rush to get from A to B while having a hostile look on their face, etc. Everybody is very laid back and mellow. The people in Seattle "stroll" as opposed to march.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 20,173 times
FWIW, your friends should visit some of the less stellar DC areas (e.g., L st SE) or NW Baltimore....now that is "ghetto", as you call it. I realize that it's pristine like Vancouver BC but there are a whole lot worse out there.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
Some of my friends went to Seattle over the summer and said that it was a ghetto. There definition of ghetto might differ from mine but this is what they said.
They said there were homeless people everywhere and it was dangerous.

I didn't believe them so I came here to ask of its truthfulness. I don't mean to bash but I felt the need to ask because I thought Seattle was a nice city.(I have only been there once though)
Your friends sound like soft, pampered douchebags.

If you want to see a real ghetto, visit Chicago or Detroit.

Homeless people don't make a "ghetto"...

Seattle's homeless are most visible around Pike Place and Pioneer Square, but to label the entire city "ghetto" shows the appalling ignorance of the person making the statement. Tell them to stay in Mayberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area