Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM

148 posts, read 765,414 times

Advertisements

rocco,

There's supposed to be a great pizza place in downtown north bend. Prehaps you could visit one day and report back to us?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
rocco,

There's supposed to be a great pizza place in downtown north bend. Prehaps you could visit one day and report back to us?

I wonder if that's the Italian place right in the center of town?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 PM

148 posts, read 765,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I wonder if that's the Italian place right in the center of town?
Courtesy of VeronikaW it is called the "Pizza Place." From what I've heard, they make a pretty solid Chicago-style pie.

Here is their website: The Pizza Place | Homepage | Best Pizza in the Valley

Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Ok, thanks, gallo and Veronika ...I'll check it out when I get the chance.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:38 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I have to say, that place was recommended to me by another website, and it was very disappointing. We ate there not long after arriving here. Closest thing to Chicago pizza in the Seattle area so far is Wallingford Pizza.

V. =)

Old 07-03-2007, 09:09 AM
KLW

14 posts, read 57,310 times
Being a one-hour from Chicago Midwesterner born and raised, a lover of Chicago pizza, and past North Bend resident of 8 years, I wouldn't recommend the Pizza Place for Chicago pizza. It advertises itself that was but isn't! I agree, Wallingford Pizza is the closest thing to Chicago pizza I found living in the Seattle area for 11 years.....and we looked! If you're in North Bend specifically, Jay Berry's has the best pizza, but I wouldn't say it's Chicago style per say. Great Asian food in WA, which we eat often and love, but not so great pizza, so we eat that a lot when we "go home"!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 41,772 times
Also from Chicago- we know our pizza! Chicago style anyway We weren't that impressed with Wallingford's, although it wasn't horrible, probably a second to DelFino's at University Village. We think DelFino's is much closer to Lou Malnati's...Giordano's....Gino's.....Uno's (Chicago classics). Although for some reason at DelFino's they call a classic Chicago deep dish a "stuffed pizza" and their "deep dish" is nothing more than an extra thick crust. Not sure why? If you want classic Chicago deep dish there- order the stuffed.
Delfino's Pizza - Chicago Style Pizzeria - Seattle, Washington

Flying Pie in Issaquah (also now in Renton Highlands) is our overall favorite for pizza in the Puget Sound area. They don't do Chicago deep dish, but their sausage is right on the mark- just like in Chicago- big chunks- definitely not sliced- no wimpy, mild little pellets either like you find a lot around here. It's a little on the spicy side but if you are a Chicagoan you will appreciate it. Chicago knows their sausage. Flying Pie is definitely reminiscent of many a Chicago pizza joint.
The Flying Pie Pizzeria - Issaquah, WA

We've heard lots about this place in North Bend (from people not from Chicago ) but haven't been and probably won't now after reading these posts- thanks fellow Chicagoans, we trust your judgement!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 PM
KLW

14 posts, read 57,310 times
Oh, I forgot about Flying Pie in Issaquah! Back in the days when we lived in Issaquah and when I wasn't a vegetarian, it's the only pizza we would eat because delftblue is right....they are the only ones w/ good sausage! And prior-Midwesterners know their sausage! I would recommend Flying Pie also......

Old 07-30-2007, 05:58 PM

10 posts, read 41,772 times
Ok, so we went to The Pizza Place in North Bend- after I said we wouldn't- because we were hungry and almost curious about how far off the mark their deep dish really was.

Positive comments: The server was very nice.

Not-so-positive comments:
Let's just say we talked about how bad it was the whole length of our 40 minute car ride home. Much of it was laughter actually. First of all, it's not deep dish that they offer, it's thick crust that they are calling deep dish. When it got to our table my husband and I looked at each other in horror. He was ready to take it back and ask if the chef made a mistake. It was no mistake. The tables around us all had a very thin crust. Also we knew it was an "attempt" at deep dish because of the order of the toppings: crust, cheese, meat, sauce (which is the only thing they got correct about calling it deep dish).

The sausage was terrible- flavorless & small meatball shaped rounds of which there were probably only one or two per slice of pizza.

The pizza itself looked like a frozen pizza from the supermarket, hardly worth the $16+ (for a medium) we paid for it.

A deep dish pizza is normally made in a cheesecake style pan- or any similar pan that has two inch plus tall, very straight sides. In fact, it really should resemble a cheesecake in shape and heft. Deep dish pizzas are tall and very, very heavy. This pizza was like thick crust Dominoes. Deep dish pizzas do not resemble a traditional pizza like that. Not even close. Again, think cheesecake shape.

The thing that made us the most upset was that we feel it's just such a huge misrepresentation of what Chicago Deep Dish is. If a person had never been to Chicago, had heard about deep dish, was excited to go and try it, went to The Pizza Place and had their deep dish- they would be eating the WRONG THING! That person would walk away thinking- how is this any different than a thick crust pizza? What's all the hype about?

It's just plain wrong.

And don't get me started on the decor.......felt like we were in the cafeteria of an old folks home circa 1982 with a few Chicago-esque posters slapped on the wall. The ceilings were really great though, wooden beams and slat board. The place could be really fun if they used a little creativity..... and got a new owner/cook.....or maybe just a refresher course back in the Windy City.

Stay away if it's deep dish you're after!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area