Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM

240 posts, read 534,647 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I know the question about where to live/rent has been asked a million times, and I have been lurking on the board for over a year now. But I have a new question/scenario to ask about, because our situation is getting a little clearer.

My partner and I have been planning to move to Seattle for over a year, and my partner has officially been offered a position. He is currently negotiating the salary, but he should earn between $225-$250k per year. I don't yet have a job in Seattle, but I work in non-profit and expect to earn around $40-$50k. My partner's job will be in Bellevue.

The issue facing us at the moment is our house where we live now. Because of the down economy and a home equity loan, we are upside down on our house. We are planning to rent it out when we move and then we'll sell it down the road.

Our initial plan was to rent a home in the Seattle area that is conducive to dogs. But now with the concern of our ability to rent our current home out somewhat in question, at least for a couple months, we're considering renting a really small place for six months or so, and then move to a bigger house that works better for dogs. This would enable us to pay two house payments if we had to (worst-case scenario).

This will also give us a chance to figure out which area of town is the best for us, because we're not sure at this point.

Thus we need at least a one-bedroom apt for less than $1,500 (preferably closer to $1,000) that is friendly for one big and one small dog. I searched on Zillow and found plenty of places, but there are so many it's a little overwhelming. I'm not crazy about having to go down multiple stories just to let the dogs out, but I suppose for six months I can stand it.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Do you prefer urban or suburban cookie cutter lifestyle?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Do you prefer urban or suburban cookie cutter lifestyle?
Funny, I always thought the small lots and houses in Seattle were more similar to each other than the variety you have in the different suburban neighborhoods.

Anyway, not to get to far off topic, Mercer Island is probably the most dog-friendly area in the county. It's the only town I'm aware of where dogs can be off-leash at most parks. It's an easy commute to Bellevue and Seattle so you won't be wasting time in your car when your dogs are home waiting to get out for a bathroom break.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 PM

240 posts, read 534,647 times
I don't know where. We may end up in a place like Columbia City permanently, but I don't know where we'll start out. I would personally love downtown Seattle, despite the lack of ease with the dogs. I'm not crazy about downtown Bellevue, but I could do it for a while. I suppose anywhere would be ok for a little while, but I prefer urban Seattle. But who knows.

I haven't seen any apartments in our price range on Mercer Island, but I'll keep looking. It's definitely convenient to both cities.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
If you actually physically show up to the apartment complex, then you can negotiate. I'm sure you can get deals at my complex, they're running a referral deal thing. MI is a very attractive option and in the future will only get more attractive. I was considering renting in the building kitty corner from my place because of the possibility of those turning into condos down the road, the light rail will (eventually) spring up on MI, and it is a very safe family and dog friendly community. For a rich enclave, it is actually pretty open to all types here, and if you ever do sell your other house or use it for income, then you could probably afford a house on the island. Mind you, a fixer upper, not a really nice home (those are in the $millions.), but still a place in one of the more desirable neighborhoods in the area with great schools.

I would continue living on MI if it wasn't for the fact I have to commute 45 min - 1 hr from work every day.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
If you think you might want to live around Columbia City over the long term, why not rent there first to see if you really like it?
It's not especially expensive, and nearby Genessee Park has a popular off leash dog area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area