U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM

10 posts, read 33,208 times

Advertisements

I wonder if I'm asking for the impossible here. My husband and I are considering a reloction from the S.F. Bay Area up to the Seattle area. I am born and raised in the Bay Area and we love so much about it. However, due to the economic/political fiasco and ridiculous cost of living, we are seriously considering Seattle. We already nixed Portland due to the poor economic/job sector.

So here is my dream wish list and of course, we know we'll have to be flexible. What are your recommendations for suburban neighborhoods?

1) We are a hispanic/caucasian family with a 4 yr. old. We both have master's degrees in social work and are looking for a generally liberal community with some diversity.

2) Great schools are a priority. I think we're leaning toward the Eastside. I'm getting too old for the hustle and bustle of city life. Bellevue sounds expensive so thinking maybe Issiquah or Sammamish?

3) We like the idea of living in a more woodsy area but I'm thinking most places are going to be surrounded by trees and lush greenery?

4) Will likely have a housing budget of 400K-500K. We would just be looking for a solid 3 BR home and sq. footage is not as important to us as charm and character.

Appreciate any feedback you all have. I can already tell I love Seattlites after spending most of the day laughing and reading previous posts. Looking forward to great coffee, micro-brew, music, great people and natural beauty.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 PM

9,638 posts, read 26,235,114 times
I like Issaquah and Sammamish, but I wouldn't call either one especially liberal or diverse. The 5th legislative district which serves that area has two state representatives, both Republicans.
I don't anybody would bat an eye about a Hispanic/Caucasian family in either Issaquah or Sammamish, but they're not especially diverse places.
Bellevue is more diverse both ethnically and economically. Yes, some parts of Bellevue are really high priced, but not all of it.
Also, if living amongst liberals takes priority, you might want to consider parts of Seattle that are away from the hustle and bustle of city life, and fell somewhat suburban, even though they're within the city limits. Places like Wedgewood, Ravenna, Bryant, Matthews Beach, or even the northern suburbs like Edmonds, Lake Forest Park, or Bothell.
I could happily live in Issaquah and I'm a liberal. But keep in mind you won't be in the majority. It's not extreme right wing land...I think the majority of folks there are fiscally conservative but socially moderate.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM

404 posts, read 991,441 times
Eastgate (south of I-90) would be great for you. It's green, fits your budget, is zoned to Bellevue schools, and is a great place to raise a family. The location is great as well. You can hop on I-90 and be in Seattle quite fast if you live there.

Eastgate Elementary was also recently rebuilt, so your child would be attending a very nice school once he/she starts. All of the students south of I-90 in the Bellevue/Eastgate area are zoned to Newport High School, which, along with all of the other Bellevue high schools, ranks among the Top 100 nationwide in terms of test scores.
eastgate wa - Google Maps

Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 AM

7,760 posts, read 15,176,823 times
Charm and character is subjective. What do you classify as charm/character?

I would point towards Bainbridge Island.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 AM

14,129 posts, read 29,987,064 times
Isn't finding a job in that field pretty hard, not even to mention two in the same general area? Not sure I'd be that picky about location.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,296,307 times
Relative to the SF area, the Eastside might seem more conservative, but as a whole Washington politics are pretty progressive in terms of the ballot issues. I think you would enjoy living in Issaquah/ Sammamish and your price range is perfect for a 3 bedroom in that area. The schools are fantastic (we are in Issaquah School District), the air is clean, the parks are gorgeous, hiking and skiing are close by and lakes surround. The area is definitely wooded and it is more so than in some parts in the city. We live in the Pine Lake area in South Sammamish and it is really special to us. Hope you find your perfect spot!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 PM

10 posts, read 33,208 times
Default Reply

Yes, I keep getting drawn to the Issaquah/Sammamish area, it's just so darn pretty and wooded. We're also considering the Bryant/Ravenna area in the city if jobs dictate. There is a possibility my husband may be placed in Tahoma, perhaps me in Bellevue for work, in which maybe Maple Valley would be the best compromise? Thanks to the previous posting about Pine Lake as this is a particular area of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area