Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 AM

240 posts, read 534,696 times

Advertisements

In my search for a rental home, I have found a couple homes very near to Judkins Park. When I have looked for homes in the Leschi area, these homes have popped up. I haven't heard much at all about this area. Is it nice? Should I worry about anything if we were to live there?

I live in Ohio and we may need to decide on an area before we head out there, so any help would be appreciated. When we have visited, we've very much liked Leschi, Seward Park neighborhood, Columbia City, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,338 times
Judkins Park is a subsection of the Central District and it's not a very good neighborhood. I definitely would not want to walk around there after dark. There is a lot of drug activity, numerous shootings, muggings etc. It's probably one of the worst areas in the city of Seattle.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:31 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mea-oh View Post
In my search for a rental home, I have found a couple homes very near to Judkins Park. When I have looked for homes in the Leschi area, these homes have popped up. I haven't heard much at all about this area. Is it nice? Should I worry about anything if we were to live there?

I live in Ohio and we may need to decide on an area before we head out there, so any help would be appreciated. When we have visited, we've very much liked Leschi, Seward Park neighborhood, Columbia City, etc.
Judkins is a little grittier than Leschi and Seward Park, and lacks the coolness of Columbia City. There's no retail to speak of right in Judkins other than a good hamburger place I think is called Charlies.
But..The 1-90 bicycle/pedestrian path runs through Judkins, so you can bike to Leschi/Mercer Island, and west to Rainier Avenue. It's nearby to a lot of things. Down the hill within fairly easy walking distance is 31st Ave S., with a nice and reasonably priced Italian restaurant ( That's Amore) and a bakery/cafe. Depending on where in Judkins, you could also be within walking distance of the Mt. Baker light rail station...also not far from Lake Washington neighborhoods of Mt. Baker and Leschi. Also real close to the Central District, and All Purpose Pizza ( good) at 29th and Jackson.
The Judkins area has a whole bunch of tennis courts, including the city owned indoor tennis center, and the Blue Dog Park off leash area. Also real close is the Bradner Park gardens, with is an offshoot of Wallingford's Tilth organization.

So it's kind of a tradeoff. I don't think it's dangerous except for maybe some small parts, and you'd know those when you were there. Parts of Judkins remain relatively poor and run down, and other parts are perfectly fine. It's definitely a convenient location. It's less gentrified that some neighborhoods around it. But mostly it's OK, with a few really cool old houses.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 AM

It's a very convenient neighborhood for buying crack and picking up hookers.
Be careful on the I-90 bike path and tunnel, there have been assaults and muggings of bicyclists in broad daylight recently.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Hey southking500: tell me how you really feel!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM

You asked for some advice and got it ...
tell me how you really feel mea-oh.
Ready to be another Central District urban pioneer and overpay for a house in an area where you will hear gunshots nearby at least once a week? Where some your neighbors have zero courtesy shouting and fighting in the middle of the street at 3 am, honking horns or blasting music. Where people throw trash in the streets and you will be panhanded right in front of your house? I could go on and on with stories I heard from a friend who lived there for years.
The CD is known as a bad area of Seattle and Judkins Park is not one of the better parts of the CD.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Did you not see the smiley face I put in my message?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 PM

I do appreciate your feedback. For someone who doesn't know Seattle very well, this is helpful.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Sorry to be a downer about Judkins Park. I'm sure someone will post a message saying how much they love it there: the old houses, diversity, close to Capitol Hill etc.
But you should at least be aware that it is a high crime area. Someone with street smarts will most likely not be victimized but the quality of life of everyone in this neighborhood is dragged down by the behavior of a couple hundred gang members, addicts, drunks whose turf is the streets of Judkins Park.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 PM

No problem. I had a concern that it might be a little shady, which is why I asked the question. Where I live in Ohio now, it's not the greatest but not the worst area. I certainly understand what you're describing. Truth be told, we like Seward Park or Columbia City the best. But it's always worth seeing what is all out there. Thanks for your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area