Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,008 times

Advertisements

I am a male in his late 20s who is currently in Richmond, Virginia. Right now, I work for an international healthcare assistance company arranging medical transports for people overseas. I'm also going to school studying IT for some CompTIA certifications and some other IT fields.

In short, I'm a geek who is studying to break into IT.

I visited Seattle a few months ago for about a week and really enjoyed it. The people were really friendly, the public transportation system was great, and the local music scene was fantastic.

Seattle is definitely a place that I've been thinking about moving to in the next couple of years, but I do have some questions about living in the area.

The first is jobs. The impression that I've been able to get is that jobs are pretty hard to come by in the area, but I'm not sure if that applies to the IT field or not. What is the job market like in Seattle? I know the recession has probably made it tough, but is it expected to improve soon?

The second is the cost of living. Right now I live in a great two bedroom apartment in downtown Richmond for about $975 a month. No utilities are included, so all told, the total is probably close to $1300 a month. I'm a downtown kind of person, and I'd like to have an idea what decent apartments in the downtown Seattle (and areas close to downtown) cost.

My third question is probably the hardest to answer. I'm a gay geek who's into gaming and music. I know Seattle has the music part covered, but if anyone could tell me what Seattle's "non-mainstream" gay life is like, I'd really appreciate it. Richmond's a pretty liberal city, but its gay life is pretty much limited to a few standard gay bars and drag shows, and while I like going out, that's not really my thing. If anyone has any insights into what Seattle is like in that regard, I'd be really interested to know.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
1) I recently relocated to Seattle. I found a job within 3 days. But I'm a senior level administrator/engineer with over a decade's worth of experience and more relevant certifications that make people drool. You're talking about obtaining CompTIA certs, which are entry-level certifications that will qualify you for Help Desk @ 12 dollars an hour. If you think you can live here on that, hey, see what happens. But keep in mind that the bottom of the IT pile (which is what help desk is, if you even consider it IT as opposed to the fringes of IT) has a lot more applicants for jobs than the Network and Systems Admins, so competition is higher.

2) Go to Craigslist and see what flats cost

3) As I said in another thread: This is Seattle. We don't give a rat's ass what your preferences/predispositions are. We judge you on your merits here. Nobody is going to care if you're gay or not. And lots of gamers here.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 PM

282 posts, read 806,828 times
Can you clarify where in "IT" you want to be? "IT" can mean many, many things depending on your definition.

I think the job market here isn't bad at all for well qualified individuals with great education and work experience, if you're just getting started, you may have to work a bit harder and settle for a lower standard of living until you can get some experience under your belt.

Rent wise, $1300 a month will get you a lot in many areas. Downtown itself may be a different story, but if you're flexible, you can probably get at least close to downtown. Buying a home here still isn't cheap, but rentals have been much more affordable as of late.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Can you clarify where in "IT" you want to be? "IT" can mean many, many things depending on your definition.

I think the job market here isn't bad at all for well qualified individuals with great education and work experience, if you're just getting started, you may have to work a bit harder and settle for a lower standard of living until you can get some experience under your belt.

Rent wise, $1300 a month will get you a lot in many areas. Downtown itself may be a different story, but if you're flexible, you can probably get at least close to downtown. Buying a home here still isn't cheap, but rentals have been much more affordable as of late.
He says he's pursuing CompTIA certifications. That means he's going down the systems/network path (Network+, A+, Linux+, Server+).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area