Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:26 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,567,139 times

Advertisements

LA for 4 months. As the song ordered me to do, I left before it made me soft.
SF for 1.5 years. Fantastic city, but couldn't get over what I was paying for the "privilege" of living there.
Seattle for 3 years a decade back, and have been back for a short while now.

The people here aren't more serious, just more introverted as a whole. Extroverts have a hard time reconciling it, and chalk it up to being serious. It's a techie thing. Not as pronounced in San Francisco because SF itself isn't reliant on techies, as SV is a geographic "one-off" from the city itself. End result, you end up with a more "typical" big city crowd. LA isn't even a comparison to either of these cities, as it's all show-n-glow, all the time.

Weather...more cloud than San Francisco. Let's put it this way: I've already got a vacation in Kaui scheduled for February to provide some respite from the rain season. It's something that people who find they can't handle the weather here seem to not realize to do. LA again, completely different ballgame.

I dunno man, you're comparing three things here: A honeycrisp apple, a sweet tango apple, and a couch. One of these things is not like the others. THe other 2 come down to personal taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
LA for 4 months. As the song ordered me to do, I left before it made me soft.
SF for 1.5 years. Fantastic city, but couldn't get over what I was paying for the "privilege" of living there.
Seattle for 3 years a decade back, and have been back for a short while now.

The people here aren't more serious, just more introverted as a whole. Extroverts have a hard time reconciling it, and chalk it up to being serious. It's a techie thing. Not as pronounced in San Francisco because SF itself isn't reliant on techies, as SV is a geographic "one-off" from the city itself. End result, you end up with a more "typical" big city crowd. LA isn't even a comparison to either of these cities, as it's all show-n-glow, all the time.

Weather...more cloud than San Francisco. Let's put it this way: I've already got a vacation in Kaui scheduled for February to provide some respite from the rain season. It's something that people who find they can't handle the weather here seem to not realize to do. LA again, completely different ballgame.

I dunno man, you're comparing three things here: A honeycrisp apple, a sweet tango apple, and a couch. One of these things is not like the others. THe other 2 come down to personal taste.

Bingo. +1 to you.

And yes, Seattle is inedible. LOL.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 PM

571 posts, read 1,165,484 times
Have not spend any time in the Bay Area, but much time in SoCal. I love it as a weekend getaway from Seattle. To live there - ever - no. It's sprawly, dirty, less educated and crime ridden compared to Seattle. I am a Pacific Northwest lifer- those that can't stand the weather are entertaining to me.... and a little weak. Take your damn vitamins and deal, or move along. We'll (along with Portland and Vancouver) continue our advancement of Cascadia with or without you.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:46 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,867,280 times
Re: introverted, serious people in Seattle. I don't know where everyone else lives but in my particular neighborhood (Seward Park, Lakewood, Columbia City), people are very outgoing, friendly and approachable. For example, dinner at a local place last night, almost the entire restaurant was involved in one big conversation with each other and the owner. Lots of laughter, lots of fun ...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM

82 posts, read 101,034 times
I am wanting to get out of LA due to the high cost of living--sorry I wasn't more clear...I' m looking to hear from folks from Southern California who have successfully permamenently relococated from SoCal to Seattle..

Thanks !

Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Default Clarification

Sorry to be unclear all:

What I am looking for is folks who have successfully relocated from Southern California to Seattle.

My questions:

1) How did you deal with (from a depression standpoint) the shorter, darker, wetter days of fall-winter ?
2) In general: Deal with the rain--cold--overcast days ?
3) Find a romantic partner (I'm single and zooming in quickly on the big 5-0 :-)
4) Find community ?
5) Find a job ?

I am an extremely friendly, smiling, extroverted type---is Seattle gonna be a fit or is it even more unfriendly than LA/Socal ?

I summary I am looking for a place to call home (find partner, community--friends, job, own home).

Thanks ! Dave

Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 AM

To the person who said, "I moved back to Calif last year (as I could not handle the Seattle weather)"

That's what I am afraid of !

Last edited by newarrior; 11-19-2010 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: not clear

Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 AM

Default I haven't considered to the Bay Area....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I have not lived in LA (I do NOT like my visits there!)
I have lived extensively in Seattle -- and San Francisco.
I understand what you are saying -- but not what you are asking.
Are you asking for anecdotal experiences / opinions of life between L.A. and Seattle - because you are considering that as a move?
If so, I wonder why you aren't also considering returning to Nor/Cal? Or are you that too?

I split a lot of my time now (retired) between NorCal and Puget Sound. I maintain home base in the San Juan Islands since moving out of Seattle 10 years ago -- and staying in the Bay area (keep a boat as residence there), camping around mostly NorCal, some along the Central Coast (CA) ... very little south of Central Coast.

It would be hard for me to stay exclusively in NorCal or Seattle anymore. Love them both! The trip back and forth is worth it every time. SoCal you can keep.
Due to the cost of living

Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM

6,793 posts, read 8,985,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarrior View Post
To the person who said, "I moved back to Calif last year (as I could not handle the Seattle weather)"

I'm not in Seattle, but I did live in Oregon for two years. I wasn't able to spend a lot of time in Seattle, but I know that it's a beautiful place. I'd much rather live in Seattle than in Portland. I love the view of the water in Seattle. I have two recent classmates from grad school who are from Oregon, but are living now in Seattle. They seem to really enjoy it.

However, the winter in PNW, especially Seattle, can be VERY dark, gloomy, rainy, etc. It is common for people to go away to Hawaii, California, Idaho or elsewhere to get some sunlight. Many people suffer from SAD and find it difficult to stay there. I managed to get used to it because I had to be outside all the time anyway. I didn't have the option of just staying inside. It may sound funny, but it really helped to have a fireplace. You can also get a light box which will help.

I have in-laws in Orange County so I spend a lot of time in SoCal. I can tell you that the climate in LA is 180 degrees away from the climate in Seattle. If you haven't already, I would get on a plane and visit Seattle for a week between now and end of January. You'll get the worst of the weather. I know that in Eugene we would sometimes get snow for 3-4 days. I don't know if Seattle gets snow during the winter.

If you love outdoor activities then you will probably love Seattle. Just like Oregon, people are into hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, etc. The ocean is farther away and beaches are very different from LA. That's balanced by the fact that you can see Puget Sound from many parts of Seattle.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,655,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarrior View Post

I am very extroverted too - Seattle chewed me up and spit me back out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area