Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 AM

82 posts, read 101,081 times

Advertisements

Bay Area native, been in LA 4 years as actor/sales--customer service..Spoiled by LA falls/winters/springsthough summerscan be hot and smoggy....It's November and 90 degrees and the sunset is still at 6PM which helps with SAD/Depression. LA rules for late fall winter--spring is a draw--Seattle has the better summers and early fall.

Been to Seattle alot as 2 friends reside there--love the lower cost of living, beauty (nature freak) and proximity to Portland, nature, BC, 3 National Parks...

My experience is that I could get bored in Seattle and I'm afraid I'd miss the opportunities that exist in LA as an actor...I have great friends in LA, lots of connections, love the climate, love the proximity to the hills/ocean..It's the cost of living, drivers, noise, sprawl etc etc that get me.

As a Norcal Native Seattle is a like the Bay Area but wetter, greener, darker cheaper...But Seattle has very little in common with LA except this a West Coast city..>Would love to hear from LA peeps that moved to Seattle...Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,657,577 times
I grew up off Sepulveda Blvd - and 77th, in Westchester til I was a teenager.

As an adult I lived in Seattle for 5 years. But do not know if my experience is what you are looking for as an opinion. I moved back to Calif last year (as I could not handle the Seattle weather)

Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,839,074 times
I have not lived in LA (I do NOT like my visits there!)
I have lived extensively in Seattle -- and San Francisco.
I understand what you are saying -- but not what you are asking.
Are you asking for anecdotal experiences / opinions of life between L.A. and Seattle - because you are considering that as a move?
If so, I wonder why you aren't also considering returning to Nor/Cal? Or are you that too?

I split a lot of my time now (retired) between NorCal and Puget Sound. I maintain home base in the San Juan Islands since moving out of Seattle 10 years ago -- and staying in the Bay area (keep a boat as residence there), camping around mostly NorCal, some along the Central Coast (CA) ... very little south of Central Coast.

It would be hard for me to stay exclusively in NorCal or Seattle anymore. Love them both! The trip back and forth is worth it every time. SoCal you can keep.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 PM

260 posts, read 765,539 times
I grew up in cuver city and moved to Seattle in 2004. Here in Seattle, I love the beauty, hiking trails, views, weather and the city of Seattle itself. I miss the happiness factor of those from LA. People in Seattle seem so serious and stare at you if you are laughing like laughing "is just not done here." Do others feel the same way?????

Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,753,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarrior View Post
Bay Area native, been in LA 4 years as actor/sales--customer service..Spoiled by LA falls/winters/springsthough summerscan be hot and smoggy....It's November and 90 degrees and the sunset is still at 6PM which helps with SAD/Depression. LA rules for late fall winter--spring is a draw--Seattle has the better summers and early fall.

Been to Seattle alot as 2 friends reside there--love the lower cost of living, beauty (nature freak) and proximity to Portland, nature, BC, 3 National Parks...

My experience is that I could get bored in Seattle and I'm afraid I'd miss the opportunities that exist in LA as an actor...I have great friends in LA, lots of connections, love the climate, love the proximity to the hills/ocean..It's the cost of living, drivers, noise, sprawl etc etc that get me.

As a Norcal Native Seattle is a like the Bay Area but wetter, greener, darker cheaper...But Seattle has very little in common with LA except this a West Coast city..>Would love to hear from LA peeps that moved to Seattle...Dave
Okay, with me:

Teen years in Boston
5 years in LA (moved at 18)
1 year in SF
1 year 3 months in Seattle
Back in SF for the last year

I thought Seattle was really boring relative to SF and LA, and found people to be less outgoing and approachable. Some people don't mind this; I do. I had a really tough time up there, and while I was "quiet" by LA standards, I was "loud" by Seattle standards and generally just didn't fit in.

On the upside, it's cleaner, safer, and - yes - cheaper. Opportunities for acting will be exponentially lower than LA, but then, there are more opportunities for acting in LA than basically anywhere else... except maybe NYC if you're looking for stage work.

I moved back to SF as soon as I had the opportunity and have never once regretted the decision. Ultimately, I will most likely move back to LA, but for now, I'm happy here.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,314,878 times
The acting scene here is more for low-budget and artistic or independent films. No big-budget films have been here in a while to my knowledge.

I never lived in LA, but I found people in Seattle to be more "real" than LA people. More in tune with the outside world, and generally less into judging people on the car they drive, clothes they wear, etc. MUCH MUCH less "fashionable." Remember, this is tech city - Boeing and Microsoft and Amazon and Google and a gaggle of other companies around here ensures a laid-back atmosphere where people are more interested in what you do vs. what you wear. That reflects in the social life ... people are much more reserved and only befriend those who are in the same social clubs (e.g. the mountaineering club).

People here also don't want to commute by car everywhere if they can avoid it (many do though).

Fall here can be astoundingly beautiful with all the foliage changing colors. Brilliant reds, yellows, purples, oranges, etc. This year was spectacular in my neighborhood!

And yes ... the rain may get to people with SAD. But IMHO, there's vitamin D pills for that. It's helped a few friends of mine who have a hard time dealing with the rain in the fall. It's not a major problem in summer and late spring (typically ... this year had a VERY late spring).

And to each their own - I found SF to be ghastly, dirty, overly expensive and overcrowded.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:40 AM

263 posts, read 527,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The acting scene here is more for low-budget and artistic or independent films. No big-budget films have been here in a while to my knowledge.

I never lived in LA, but I found people in Seattle to be more "real" than LA people. More in tune with the outside world, and generally less into judging people on the car they drive, clothes they wear, etc. MUCH MUCH less "fashionable." Remember, this is tech city - Boeing and Microsoft and Amazon and Google and a gaggle of other companies around here ensures a laid-back atmosphere where people are more interested in what you do vs. what you wear. That reflects in the social life ... people are much more reserved and only befriend those who are in the same social clubs (e.g. the mountaineering club).

People here also don't want to commute by car everywhere if they can avoid it (many do though).

Fall here can be astoundingly beautiful with all the foliage changing colors. Brilliant reds, yellows, purples, oranges, etc. This year was spectacular in my neighborhood!

And yes ... the rain may get to people with SAD. But IMHO, there's vitamin D pills for that. It's helped a few friends of mine who have a hard time dealing with the rain in the fall. It's not a major problem in summer and late spring (typically ... this year had a VERY late spring).

And to each their own - I found SF to be ghastly, dirty, overly expensive and overcrowded.
Overly expensive? Sure
Dirty? In parts
Overcrowded? Not if you're an urban type
Ghastly? No way

Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM

62 posts, read 160,153 times
If you like the climate of LA and living in a large metro area, do yourself a favor and please don't move here. You won't last. If you truly need a break from LA, come up for a year (or even a summer) and then go back to SoCal.

I moved here from DC over the summer: hated the east coast humidity and was annoyed with traffic, sprawl, etc. Guess what? I'm cold and going crazy from the geographic isolation of the area. Seattle is a great city...for a certain type of person, and it doesn't sound like that person is you (at least from what you said in your original post). Many people here take winter vacations to get away from the chill and lack of sunshine. If you are only unhappy with the weather during the summer in LA, you may want to just deal with it or take a summer vacation to a cooler locale.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,657,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie74 View Post
If you like the climate of LA and living in a large metro area, do yourself a favor and please don't move here. You won't last. If you truly need a break from LA, come up for a year (or even a summer) and then go back to SoCal.

I moved here from DC over the summer: hated the east coast humidity and was annoyed with traffic, sprawl, etc. Guess what? I'm cold and going crazy from the geographic isolation of the area. Seattle is a great city...for a certain type of person, and it doesn't sound like that person is you (at least from what you said in your original post). Many people here take winter vacations to get away from the chill and lack of sunshine. If you are only unhappy with the weather during the summer in LA, you may want to just deal with it or take a summer vacation to a cooler locale.
I agree with this 100%.

I felt "trapped" and "suffocated" by the weather. SO cold for such a long time. And then put really low dark clouds above you and closed in hills around you and water ways/lakes to try and navigate. It was hard. And this from someone who was born and raised in LA with terrible traffic and urban overcrowding!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM

452 posts, read 1,317,164 times
I live in Southern California. I’ve have never lived in Northern California or Seattle, but have visited very often.

Weather wise, the coldest and dampest is Seattle. The warmest and most mild is Southern California. In between in NorCal.

Seattle was the greenest.

The people in Seattle (just my impression) seemed more reserved and more serious. Some may say more down to earth. NorCal (mainly the Bay Area is most liberal in general of the three). SoCal people were more outgoing, but also very image conscious. I noticed people in Seattle and to a lesser extent, NorCal drive more “conservative” cars while people in SoCal drive flashier cars since the culture down here is more “car-centric”.

I think the cost of living is higher in NorCal and SoCal than Seattle. Seattle and NorCal (Bay Apre specifically) is more concentrated. SoCal and LA Area is more of a sprawl so you would have to drive longer distances and encounter more traffic.

These are just my impression. Each place has a place for a certain type of person. I don’t believe one is better than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area