Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 AM

14 posts, read 36,140 times

Advertisements

Hmm
Adding an extra 200 for Electricity/gas and even 100 for Internet/ph/Cable the estimate still remains around 3400-4100 a month which seems to be pushing it at 60k but still affordable :S Come to think of it, I may have to tap into the emergency funds more than I would have liked...

But still, it is reassuring to have at least one opinion that its livable

Of course I am looking for more perspectives but nor, thanks a lot Inkpoe for your kindness and taking the time out to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barooq View Post
Xanathos
"You H1(b) types" seems degrading.
Moving seems like a better option intellectually ( try living as agnostic and raising a son to honor rationality rather than religion in my country) and in the long run technically as well. I would have a much bigger chance working on cutting edge technologies here than I have anywhere else.
I understand the resentment in your tone but as I said, the purpose of this thread is to access whether a life in the means I described is possible or not, instead of determining the integrity of my employer or the long term risks.

In that regard, I would love your input regarding the bills ... Based on your experience, what do you pay, living where you live?

Inkpoe
My bad... Gentlelady it is
There was no resentment there. Just being factual. I will say this, though: If you took offense to phrasing like that, which wasn't even denigrating, you're going to be in for something of a surprise when you get here. Trust me, you will hear resentment, and it will look/sound nothing like what I posted. You imported guys don't bother me all that much individually, because there's no threat to me. On a larger scale, there's clearly a problem in the US, but that's another topic for another day. There are a lot of people in our industry who aren't so fortunate/secure though, and they let will their feelings be known to you. I've seen it/heard it. You need to prepare yourself for it, because it will happen.

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand: I could tell you what my bills are going to run, but it wouldn't really have any useful point of comparison for you, seeing as how I live in a 7,400 square foot house, whereas you're looking at a 2 bedroom apartment, so there's a size discrepency. Obviously, the utility costs to keep that heated, watered, etc. are significantly higher. I will say that I highly doubt you'll be able to get your utilities under 300 a month.

You also need to fire up a paycheck calculator to see what your actual take home is. You may be making 60k a year, but at the end of it all, you'll probably only actually take home 45000, if that. I'm not sure what the tax rate is on 60k, as that's pretty low for the IT industry, so I don't have any point of reference as to what that actually equates to as I've just never talked to anyone who was at that level. But Uncle Sam needs his cut and the old people need their free health care and monthly stipends. Tack on to that any 401(k) contributions, the costs associated with purchasing your own health care (as a couple + 1, you're looking at a few hundred a month), etc. etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 AM

Well
I am generally thick skinned. I am sure I will be able to handle. I am treating this job and the move as more of a fresh start and I know the salary is pretty low but as long as its livable I am ok with that.

Thank you for the reply and honest opinion.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
...seeing as how I live in a 7,400 square foot house,...
Is that a typo or are you renting a room in one of the Microsoft founders homes? That's not a house, it's a congressional district.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:56 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
I think the 300 for internet/phone/cable TV is actually too high. Comcast promotes these " bundle" specials with all three for the first year at 129 dollars per month, and then it goes to 179.That doesn't include cell phone. I don't have a "bundle", just internet and cable, and it runs about 130, with taxes included. The land line phone runs about another 30 per month.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,599,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
There was no resentment there. Just being factual. I will say this, though: If you took offense to phrasing like that, which wasn't even denigrating, you're going to be in for something of a surprise when you get here. Trust me, you will hear resentment, and it will look/sound nothing like what I posted. You imported guys don't bother me all that much individually, because there's no threat to me. On a larger scale, there's clearly a problem in the US, but that's another topic for another day. There are a lot of people in our industry who aren't so fortunate/secure though, and they let will their feelings be known to you. I've seen it/heard it. You need to prepare yourself for it, because it will happen.

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand: I could tell you what my bills are going to run, but it wouldn't really have any useful point of comparison for you, seeing as how I live in a 7,400 square foot house, whereas you're looking at a 2 bedroom apartment, so there's a size discrepency. Obviously, the utility costs to keep that heated, watered, etc. are significantly higher. I will say that I highly doubt you'll be able to get your utilities under 300 a month.

You also need to fire up a paycheck calculator to see what your actual take home is. You may be making 60k a year, but at the end of it all, you'll probably only actually take home 45000, if that. I'm not sure what the tax rate is on 60k, as that's pretty low for the IT industry, so I don't have any point of reference as to what that actually equates to as I've just never talked to anyone who was at that level. But Uncle Sam needs his cut and the old people need their free health care and monthly stipends. Tack on to that any 401(k) contributions, the costs associated with purchasing your own health care (as a couple + 1, you're looking at a few hundred a month), etc. etc.
I think most people would find the phrase "You H1(b) types" to be insulting. And "you imported guys"...

Places of work have codes of conduct. Maybe you don't abide by one, or have one, but anyone on the workplace who "let their feelings be known to you" will likely end up in HR with a warning or out on the street unemployed. Barooq, ignore this buffoon.

I am absolutely cracking up at "I never talk to anyone who is at that level (60K a year)"...as you move about your 7,400 foot house, all bowing and scraping before you!

Such class.

Today's word:

[SIZE=3]blo·vi·ate[/SIZE] (blv-t)
intr.v. blo·vi·at·ed, blo·vi·at·ing, blo·vi·ates Slang To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner:

Last edited by AlohaHuey; 11-09-2010 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Dictionary lesson

Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I think most people would find the phrase "You H1(b) types" to be insulting. And "you imported guys"...

Places of work have codes of conduct. Maybe you don't abide by one, or have one, but anyone on the workplace who "let their feelings be known to you" will likely end up in HR with a warning or out on the street unemployed. Barooq, ignore this buffoon.

I am absolutely cracking up at "I never talk to anyone who is at that level (60K a year)"...as you move about your 7,400 foot house, all bowing and scraping before you!

Such class.

Today's word:

[SIZE=3]blo·vi·ate[/SIZE] (blv-t)
intr.v. blo·vi·at·ed, blo·vi·at·ing, blo·vi·ates Slang To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner:
Ha ha. Love your comments.
Rereading the posts by Xanathos, however, I actually don't think he realizes how dismissive he sounds.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,374 times
Oh... and I love the new word, "bloviate"!
Had I known it last month, when I joined this forum,I would have adopted "The Bloviator" as my online name.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,599,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Oh... and I love the new word, "bloviate"!
Had I known it last month, when I joined this forum,I would have adopted "The Bloviator" as my online name.
Some words just sound so perfect for their meaning. Bloviate is one such word. "The Bloviator" is an excellent handle!

Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Well Guys (AlohaHuey and PollyGlott)

Coming back to th original query, would you share your opinions?
See, as I said I do want to come and thats clouding my judgment. From the thread so far, all I got is that I will be able to make it Maybe I want to see it that way ...

So what would you say regarding the cost and whether the estimate that I put forward is accurate or not ?

Waiting for your response...

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area