Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 18,115 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone in the Seattle area,

I'm seeking feed back on living in Issaquah, Sammamish, Bothel or open for suggestions. I'm a young retired african american lady, single, in my mid 40's, very active and relocating from Southern California. I'm so tired of southern cal and looking to retire in a friendly environment. I don't have issues with driving to go out for entertainment as a matter of fact I enjoy going to many areas away from home for all of my life, just to get out and about however, I perfer living in an upscale neighborhood thats quite and safe. Enjoy all the basics - bike riding, golf, movies, love out door concerts, BBQ in backyard etc, wine tasting, you name it. Looking for a better tax scale than California . I'm open to other cities in Seattle area as well, all opinions welcome. Thanks so kindly for everyone's input!

Last edited by youngretiredandactive; 11-12-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:17 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Well, Seattle's big tax draw is no income tax, which does you no good if you're retired. We tend to tax you to death on other things (sales tax pushing 10%, prop taxes, gas taxes, etc.).

That being said, this city is certainly a better fit than the one I saw your similar post in. The most affluent areas of town are Mercer Island, Medina, and Bellevue though - not so much Issaquah or Bothell - though those are nice, too.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the input..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Well, Seattle's big tax draw is no income tax, which does you no good if you're retired. We tend to tax you to death on other things (sales tax pushing 10%, prop taxes, gas taxes, etc.).

That being said, this city is certainly a better fit than the one I saw your similar post in. The most affluent areas of town are Mercer Island, Medina, and Bellevue though - not so much Issaquah or Bothell - though those are nice, too.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
You might enjoy Bainbridge Island, walking distance from the ferry dock, as well. An easy ferry ride to downtown Seattle. From a safety standpoint the police spend almost all their time on alcohol related issues: underage drinking and adults who drive drunk (often ferry riders from Seattle), basically the same type of stuff you find on Mercer Island.

I lived there for 15 years and can give you the scoop about its unique culture (they make Portlanders look like industrialists). Minus: getting to the airport is time consuming.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngretiredandactive View Post
Hi Everyone in the Seattle area,
I'm ... retired ... in my mid 40's
Can't help you with info on Seattle (I'm headed that way for retirement myself), but I just want to say: Retired in your 40s? Lucky you! Congratulations, and enjoy!!! (I'm jealous...)

Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM

304 posts, read 850,667 times
Here you go:
African American Women's Group- Seattle -Tacoma - Eastside (Redmond, WA) - Meetup

Unless you've got a baby to push around in a stroller with the other gals, I think you might find Issaquah to be a bit too suburban for an active single woman. Sammamish has very little diversity. It is a very wooded town with a strong Mormon community. If you're Mormon, you might love it. However, if you're planning to kick up your heels and drink alcohol on Friday nights, you would be better off in Bellevue, Kirkland or Mercer Island. Even then, you'd get tired of the small nightlife scenes there and you'd end up driving to Seattle. If you have the money, move to Magnolia in Seattle.

Unlike California, farther out areas here are more forested or farm-like without the majority Latino population. The communities here are extremely well established, meaning everybody in town has known everybody else for at least 25 years. You'll stick out like a sore thumb moving to a small town here. But don't take my word for it. Drive out by yourself to a small town 30 miles from the nearest city in the evening when the roads become two lanes lined by redwood forests and there are absolutely no street lamps for 30 minute stretches of highways. You'll find out fast how comfortable a city slicker can feel in that landscape.

Bothell is not far in distance but the traffic might become a problem for you. Then again, you're retired so you probably have all the time in the world to sit behind your steering wheel. If I were you I would be looking for a place within 10 miles of Seattle.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Vandy! you are funny..LOL,

Thanks for the input, I'm looking for comments that are very discriptive such as yours. Just so you know I don't drive out in the evening to any 2 lane area without lights... I think you know what I mean. You talk about a sticking out like a sore thumb, I may be a dead thumb instead. LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area