U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 PM

10 posts, read 31,898 times

Advertisements

As we continue to research our Seattle relocation from the S.F. Bay Area we have heard two complaints from ex-Seattles (so I assume their perspective is a bit skewed). So at risk of opening a can of worms, what truth is there to the following rumors we've heard?

1) Bellevue is an elitist neighborhood and is looked down upon by "everyone" else in the Seattle metro area.
2) Seattlites don't like people from California and it's very hard to be accepted as a transplant.

As I said, these are simply rumors and not at all anything we have seen or experienced ourselves. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,120,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomezlcsw View Post
As we continue to research our Seattle relocation from the S.F. Bay Area we have heard two complaints from ex-Seattles (so I assume their perspective is a bit skewed). So at risk of opening a can of worms, what truth is there to the following rumors we've heard?

1) Bellevue is an elitist neighborhood and is looked down upon by "everyone" else in the Seattle metro area.
2) Seattlites don't like people from California and it's very hard to be accepted as a transplant.

As I said, these are simply rumors and not at all anything we have seen or experienced ourselves. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
1) You'll hear a lot, and I mean a LOT of people here say something like "You know, I know a number of people that love the East side and wouldn't live anywhere else, but I just don't get it or understand the appeal". I got this 2 or 3 times when people asked me where I was looking for a house after I relocated here. This loosely translates to "I can't afford to live on the East side, so I'm going to try and tell myself that where I'm at on the North side is awesome and that 2 hours I spend in traffic between Northgate and Downtown isn't so bad". East side residents aren't looked down on by anybody else. It's just that there is quite a bit of envy, and with that comes a little resentment.

2) Seattlites don't really give a rat's ass where you come from, so long as you're cool and don't try to push some sort of weird agenda on any of us. For example: If you're into a kosher, gluten-free, macrobiotic vegan lifestyle....fine, that's your thing, nobody cares. But if you're outside of a major pedestrian area with an A-Board screaming about how everybody should convert to your weird-ass diet, then you won't be well-liked.

This, incidentally, is the single biggest reason I left Portland for Seattle. I got tired of the endless amount of people trying to push their extreme nonsense on me.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 PM

9,638 posts, read 24,981,736 times
1. Bellevue is a pretty big and diverse city. It is looked down upon by some people in Seattle proper, who feel that Bellevue represents crass displays of materialism without sophistication. But there's a lot more to Bellevue than the fancy stores and shiny big buildings in downtown Bellevue. Not everyone there lives in a fancy new house. And most people in the Seattle area don't look down upon Bellevue.

2. Seattle is full of transplants. I know some native Seattleites, but most people here are from somewhere else. In the early 90's, Californians were moving here and paying full prices for homes, and were blamed for rising home prices. But that's pretty much a thing of the past, and Californians are not being blamed for falling home prices. We can't blame them for everything. Very few people are going to care that you're from California , as long as you drop the "the" from freeway names. When in Seattle, it's not " The 5" or " the 405". It's " eye five", or " 405".

Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 PM

18 posts, read 38,998 times
Wow. That seems like such a subtle thing. "the 405" vs "405".

Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,327,400 times
1. Living in Bellevue is like living in any suburb. Living in the city of Seattle is a completely different experience. WHo cares where you live, except you?

2. Maybe among old crusty Emmett Watson types who grew up watching JP Patches, but most people don't care where you are from. They will expect you to tire of the weather and move back within three years, however.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM

2,800 posts, read 5,016,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisjack View Post
Wow. That seems like such a subtle thing. "the 405" vs "405".
Not sure it's a big deal though, just that people here will find it strange to hear I-405 or I-5 referred to as "the 405" or "the 5". I think that's something only done in a couple of places, the rest of the country- Seattle, included- just refers to them as Interstate x. I can't believe that would cause anybody to be upset, though- just something that, if said, screams "I'm from California". :-)

Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
1)
This, incidentally, is the single biggest reason I left Portland for Seattle. I got tired of the endless amount of people trying to push their extreme nonsense on me.
That boggles the mind. Either you are majorly thin-skinned/wimpy or way overexaggerating.

Who moves out of state because you can't say "no, go away"?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
1) You'll hear a lot, and I mean a LOT of people here say something like "You know, I know a number of people that love the East side and wouldn't live anywhere else, but I just don't get it or understand the appeal". I got this 2 or 3 times when people asked me where I was looking for a house after I relocated here. This loosely translates to "I can't afford to live on the East side, so I'm going to try and tell myself that where I'm at on the North side is awesome and that 2 hours I spend in traffic between Northgate and Downtown isn't so bad". East side residents aren't looked down on by anybody else. It's just that there is quite a bit of envy, and with that comes a little resentment.
Not quite.

A lot of the people who look down upon the Eastside are from the city of Seattle, where homes are every bit as valuable as homes in Bellevue. Those people decided that they would rather not live among Targets, strip malls, Wal-Marts, chain restaurants, golf supply outlets and perfumed Gene Juarez and Abercrombie & Fitch stores, and instead live in an interesting city with mom & pop bakeries, restaurants and quirky attractions like The Troll.

Some people love the suburbs. Fine for them.
Some love the city. Fine for them.

Envy has nothing to do with it. The only resentment seems to be toward the perpetually self-absorbed, which, for some reason, congregate at Gene Juarez and Abercrombie.

Last edited by AlohaHuey; 11-17-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM

807 posts, read 2,101,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
The only resentment swems to be toward the perpetually self-absorbed, which, for some reason, congregate at Gene Juarez and Abercrombie.
...and then dress up to dine at Maggiano's or Olive Garden.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,324,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
...and then dress up to dine at Maggiano's or Olive Garden.
You forgot Palomino ... *shudder* worst overpriced Italian mass-manufactured garbage in the history of the planet.

Fools don't know about the awesome places near Pioneer Square (all owned by the same guy apparently)!

There is a sense of us vs. them attitude when it comes to the East side, but not a whole lot. The popular attitude is East side people like to wear Abercrombie and have nerd parties and are all stuck up Microsofties who are there simply to make the cost of living more expensive. The popular attitude is the West Side people are a bunch of North face wearing, uppity, aging hipsters who like potholes and aggressive bums who will rob you given half the chance.

The reality is much different. Typically people really don't care and just a matter of preference on where you live. Suburbia is (slightly) more easy on the wallet and more car dependent. Seattle is not so car dependent and has all the things that people need but closer together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area