Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM

43 posts, read 88,949 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm trying to get a feel for how much people who live in Seattle area spend outdoors. I currently live in San Diego and we're moving to Seattle in June. In San Diego, year round, we can be outside. It doesn't matter how big your house is, because as long as you have a yard and the beach, then who wants to be indoors in 70 degree weather year round?

I've found a house on craigslist in Greenlake that has a beautiful back yard for my toddler to play and dog to throw the ball to...and is walking distance to everything we need (child hates the car seat). But, the inside of the home is just OK - dated and older appliances but clean. If this was San Diego, I wouldn't think twice, I'd get it because we spend little amount of time indoors.

So, that is why I'm asking you guys. Do you stay inside a lot during the fall/winter/spring months and only head outdoors in the summer? I know it mists/rains a lot there and it's cold (40 degrees is cold to me)...but I'm sure we'll get used to it. Do you see people outside exercising and walking year round? What's it like?

I'm trying to decide if I should stay within the city of Seattle and be able to walk everywhere but have just an OK smaller home - 1600 square feet (which is what I do in San Diego) or live in a more affordable area (like Issaquah, Renton, Shoreline etc) and have a bigger and newer house?

thanks!!!

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM

282 posts, read 807,198 times
I would say it depends on your tolerance for the elements. As you may know, at least 2/3s of each year is gloomy/rainy. You'll see people out running or cycling in the cold/wet and others only do it when it's nice out.

Depends what you can handle.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,795 times
People - many moms with little ones - walk, jog or run around Greenlake all year 'round. Great place to be outdoors!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,269,453 times
We moved here from AZ when our kids were toddlers. You just can't spend as much time outside as you can in warm places like San Diego. You'll need more square feet than you need in CA.

It's not warm and the kids get cold, wet, muddy. You can mitigate this some by building a deck or patio for mud-free trips outside but it's not the same as being able to run around the yard. In the summer when our kids were older they ran around the neighborhood, but we don't live in a congested area with lots of traffic and there is a great park at the end of the street.

I would worry less about dated appliances than how much light the house gets and if there is room inside for kids to play. A mud room is a must if you have a dog.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,845 times
You can spend as much time outside as you like - just have the proper clothing. No, you won't be in shorts & tank tops in February, but you can certainly put on a shell, or a fleece vest, or a baseball hat, weather depending.

I have 2 kids and live at Greenlake. I go outside every single day myself to go for a run around the lake or to the store. Yes, there can be truly miserable days with sideways rain - but they are VERY rare. Generally in the fall & winter, you'll get some combination of clouds, drizzle, and broken sunshine, sometimes all in the same outing.

As a Greenlake resident, I actually have learned to appreciate the cloudy days more - keeps the crowds down at the park. Your kids absolutely will not care if they're dressed right.

The only think that really keeps me from heading out? Super-windy days, of which we'll get a dozen or so a year.

The summers here are actually nicer than San Diego's, IMHO, with crowds to match.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:50 PM

151 posts, read 548,425 times
You will always see some people out jogging/biking in the rain, or any other non "ideal" weather. When it is nice out, the parks and walking areas are full of people.

I guess it depends on how dedicated you are. Although, I would not want to be out playing in the back yard with kids when the weather is misty/rainy and cold.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM

368 posts, read 695,840 times
There's no way to spin it, coming from San Diego you're trading down in weather. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the outdoors and have fun. But often you plan something for outside and it's just not comfortable like in the warmer sunnier climates. It's windy & wet.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM

43 posts, read 88,949 times
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think about a mud room or having a deck...good thought and will look into this. So, if it's only misty, then does the ground get really wet and muddy there? That's what I'm thinking, my dog is addicted to the ball and I have to throw it to her atleast once a day...the backyard is GORGEOUS on this house...here is a pic..

this is just ideal for my toddler and dog and there are fruit trees in the yard. So, do you think this backyard will turn into a muddy mess in the fall/winter/spring?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM

368 posts, read 695,840 times
Late fall, winter, spring. My grass floats a little in the winter, and it has good drainage. My four year old doesn't care, and he comes home muddy from daycare anytime they get outside this time of year. Kids like mud.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 PM

151 posts, read 548,425 times
During the late fall, winter, and spring, the yard doen't get much of a chance to dry out....

A daily mist or "spit" tends to get things pretty wet, much more then one would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area