Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times

Advertisements

Dear people of Seattle,

Over the last day or so, it has come to my attention that you are not accustomed to the foreign substance which has graced our fair city. It's called the white shroud. Or, more commonly, snow. And, contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, it is not a magical substance which actively sets out to seek and destroy. After spending a day amongst all of you and seeing more in the last 3 hours than I've seen in 3 years in terms of horrible driving strategy, I offer these words of wisdom so that you may more acutely participate in the wonder of "driving".

1) To the guy in the Acura MDX who made it halfway up the hill, slid back and almost hit me if not for my maneuvering, then made it up halfway again, and slid back again, I offer this advice: While it is indeed sound strategy to drive with care on the shroud and thus slow down, when going uphill, you should try to avoid hitting the base of a 35 degree incline hill doing only 11 miles per hour. When going UPhill, you actually want to go faster than normal. This is so when you get halfway up and hit a bit of ice and start to lose momentum, you've already got some steam built up to power you over the rest of the way. You will note that when I went around you and went up the hill after your 2nd failed attempt, I hit the base of the hill doing somewhere between 35 and 40. I hit the same patch of ice midway that you did, but I had enough momentum to push me past it. Don't worry about sliding "upwards" on a hill. It's quite easy to stop forward progress on an incline.

2) To the guy in the Ford pickup that was trying to pace me and ultimately ended up sliding off the road into a shallow ravine on a turn: I drive a German sportscar with the most advanced all-wheel drive system on the face of the planet. My soft-metal brakes have heaters/blowers on them that keep them dry even in wet conditions. You drive a rear-wheel drive pickup truck that obviously had no weights in the bed. I don't care that you watch NASCAR every Saturday and think you're Dale Earnhardt reincarnated, you can't do the same things in your truck that I can in my car, and that includes travel at the speeds I was traveling at. And yes, that's what I told the police officer. Unless you're in an Audi, a BMW, an AWD Volkswagen, or perhaps an Outback, leave the machismo in the house before you pull out of the driveway.

3) Ice tends to accumulate more in shade, and tends to stay icy in shade longer. When I'm in a heavily shaded area and tap my brakes repeatedly, I'm testing for traction. This is not your cue to try and pass me on a 2 lane road. The blinky brake lights are not Morse code for 'make an illegal maneuver on slippery surface'. You almost killed that lady on the bicycle when you slid into the bike lane before recovering. I'm looking at you, Mr. Prius owner.

4) To the kid at the Issaquah Best Buy parking lot trying to do the doughnuts: Turn off your mom's car's traction control. This is why you weren't able to get spun all the way around. And try waiting until after nightfall when the lot is empty before going out and doing that. Fewer cars to worry about, and the ice is generally more solid/less slush.

Source: First time I ever drove a car was in the dead of a Northern Michigan winter (and every subsequent lesson for the following 3 months). 4 years living in Boston. 3 years in NYC. Snow has existed for a really long time. It's not rocket science, folks.

Last edited by Xanathos; 11-23-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
2) To the guy in the Ford pickup that was trying to pace me and ultimately ended up sliding off the road into a shallow ravine on a turn: I drive a German sportscar with the most advanced all-wheel drive system on the face of the planet. My soft-metal brakes have heaters/blowers on them that keep them dry even in wet conditions. You drive a rear-wheel drive pickup truck that obviously had no weights in the bed. I don't care that you watch NASCAR every Saturday and think you're Dale Earnhardt reincarnated, you can't do the same things in your truck that I can in my car, and that includes travel at the speeds I was traveling at. And yes, that's what I told the police officer. Unless you're in an Audi, a BMW, an AWD Volkswagen, or perhaps an Outback, leave the machismo in the house before you pull out of the driveway.
How funny. DH was basically "pushed" into a ditch by a Ford PU truck as well. The driver came careening down a steep hill (which we live on)... just speeding until he realized the brakes doesn't really work on the hill (which should be closed as they never plow it and rarely sand it). DH had to drive into a ditch to avoid impact (as did another driver coming uphill). Ford finally crashes into a steeper ditch. When DH finally drove out of the ditch, the Ford driver demanded help. Lots of choice words there.

Also... adding into the PSA:

** If you have bald tires, your butt should be staying home.

** If you have chains, you absolutely do not go 55-75 mph in it. The chains will fly off and you're endangering the drivers behind you!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
How funny. DH was basically "pushed" into a ditch by a Ford PU truck as well. The driver came careening down a steep hill (which we live on)... just speeding until he realized the brakes doesn't really work on the hill (which should be closed as they never plow it and rarely sand it). DH had to drive into a ditch to avoid impact (as did another driver coming uphill). Ford finally crashes into a steeper ditch. When DH finally drove out of the ditch, the Ford driver demanded help. Lots of choice words there.
Also... adding into the PSA:
** If you have bald tires, your butt should be staying home.
** If you have chains, you absolutely do not go 55-75 mph in it. The chains will fly off and you're endangering the drivers behind you!

Someone is going to make fun of me for this question, but who is "DH"?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
DH = Dear Hubby (My husband)... just another net speak

Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
DH = Dear Hubby (My husband)... just another net speak
Thank you!
I'm learning every day...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:22 PM

478 posts, read 784,871 times
Great post, X :^)

I'd add to this, 4WD doesn't compensate for your lack of driving skills (not directed at the OP). 4WD means that if you push it, you can spin all four of your wheels and be worse off than you would be in a 2WD.

When I lived in central Oregon, I'd drive over the Cascades to the west side about once a month. When the roads were snowy, I saw more 4WD's in a ditch than 2WD vehicles.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM

151 posts, read 548,324 times
This is why I took the bus today. Thankfully the one I needed was still running.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM

478 posts, read 784,871 times
Then there's the person who left her car parked at a 45° angle sticking out into the narrow street because she couldn't get it up her driveway and she didn't want to park it "over there where it was likely to get hit". If your car is blocking half the street, do you think that's the better option?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Oh dear, it was quite the treat going up SE 43rd Way into Sammamish last night. Lots of sweet looking rear wheel drive sports cars pulled over going no where fast. I was thankful to have FWD on my old van but found it challenging to keep my speed up to get up the hill (ala advice from OP) because it was bumper to bumper at 3pm. But I did just try to keep on moving forward and never stopping which made the difference. I realized I probably need new tires sooner than later!! I was born and raised in the Midwest and lived my time in CO, so I know how to drive in the snow thankfully. But most people here don't so I find it best just to STAY HOME. It's a good excuse to let the pace of life slow down so I can clean out closets!

Thankfully the buses were still running so my DH could get downtown for the most important meeting of his life today. He is almost done with a 2 hour commute home after doing 2 hours this morning.

Happy Thanksgiving all you CD folks!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:27 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I was going to write something sarcastic, but then I got curious, and would really like your opinion. I assume you are driving a BMW with their version of AWD? What's your opinion of Mercedes 4Matic? I've driven a car with and without it. I've learned from experience that it's not a perfect solution but I haven't had to deal with any icy hills since getting an S-class with 4Matic. I do know that a C240 with all season tires is worthless on an icy incline, as I found out in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area