Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,506 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can buy a chewie and or a wedge seat. My son cannot sit still in school (he's 6 and in 1st grade). The OT had school has suggested these items.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,311 times
Shove Ritalin down his gullet. That'll fix him.

A 6 year old who fidgets and is unfocused. Jamais!

Seems the problem is more with the teacher and school.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Shove Ritalin down his gullet. That'll fix him.
A 6 year old who fidgets and is unfocused. Jamais!
Seems the problem is more with the teacher and school.
Please don't be so quick to blame teachers!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I blame the teacher in this case, based on the available information in the post, because six year olds fidget and are unfocused in school, it's their job. The suggestion for such items is likely a request made by the school, as are the reports of "fidgeting and unfocused in school." Fidgeting and unfocused isn't particularly disruptive; more disruptive behavior requires action, obviously. However, the risk of stigmatizing the kid as a problem FAR OUTWEIGHS any trouble general "fidgeting and unfocused in school" can possibly cause.

Any teacher that recommends such devices for kids who "fidget and are unfocused in school" needs to seriously re-examine their career choice, or try another grade where the kids are less fidgety and more focused.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,403 times
Sounds like a normal child, parents are too quick to label their children as having ADD and drug all their children.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I concur with the above advice.

My further advice is to ask your kid whether he's bored and what does he find more interesting. Ask him what he wants to be when he grows up, and demonstrate that what he's learning is necessary for that job.

Wow him, too, with stuff. Like, WOW kinda stuff. Show him a muscle car, the engine, the car design, the lights, and the bells and whistles. Ask him what he thinks. Then rev the engine, make him go "WOW!!!!" Then tell him no matter how boring school is, he better learn it, because if he ever wants to do something like that in the future, he better learn.

Insert object of his desire in place of muscle car and adjust accordingly ...

I never would have went into engineering and continued being fidgety and bored in school if it hadn't been for my old man showing me a shuttle launch as a kid on TV. He then built a model rocket with me. THAT is the "cure" that most fidgety kids need. Unfortunately it requires work on your part, no easy fixes. Sorry, that's life.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
SCHOOL PACK - Sensory University

I'm going to take a different position here. There was no mention of a teacher, there was mention of an occupational therapist. Yes, lots of kids at age six are unfocused and fidgety, and that's to be expected. I'm not sure that the concern is about disruptiveness as much as things like eating pencils and crayons ( hence the need for a chewie) and falling off the chair and hurting one's self ( hence the need for a wedge seat.)

Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
I think the school is being reasonable. Are they suggesting the parent give him drugs? No. These are simple devices that can help the student feel more secure. They're trying to improve the student's chances for success. More importantly, they're doing this early on, before the child gets labeled as a troublemaker or gets held back because he can't sit still long enough to learn to read.

They are also trying to create a more conducive learning environment for the other students. Yes, fidgeting is distracting to both the teacher and the other students. Do you want your kid's teacher to be spending most of their time chasing distracted students?

Also, trying to reason with a 6 year old and lecturing them about their future isn't going to work. They don't have the delayed gratification thing worked out yet. Maybe by age 12.

Anyways, I hope that things work out well for your son.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I think the school is being reasonable. Are they suggesting the parent give him drugs? No. These are simple devices that can help the student feel more secure. They're trying to improve the student's chances for success. More importantly, they're doing this early on, before the child gets labeled as a troublemaker or gets held back because he can't sit still long enough to learn to read.

They are also trying to create a more conducive learning environment for the other students. Yes, fidgeting is distracting to both the teacher and the other students. Do you want your kid's teacher to be spending most of their time chasing distracted students?

Also, trying to reason with a 6 year old and lecturing them about their future isn't going to work. They don't have the delayed gratification thing worked out yet. Maybe by age 12.

Anyways, I hope that things work out well for your son.
The kid is already labeled.

Fidgeting and unfocused is a LOT different than toppling out of a seat and eating everything in sight. That isn't the problem as described by the OP. If that's the case, put a football helmet on the kid. He won't crack his skull and it's hard to eat anything through a facemask.

Last edited by AlohaHuey; 12-01-2010 at 10:05 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,427 times
Pollyglott you are right its too early to blame teacher they know better then parents how to handle kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post

mod interpose: to OP and all participants-- please take the conversation to our Parenting forum (you can start a new thread there). This thread should be discussing where to buy the seat mentioned otherwise, it doesn't belong in the local forum. Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-02-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area