Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,226 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We may be moving to Seattle for my job (making $43,600 annually). My wife stays at home with our 6-month old son, and is not likely to work in the next few years. We have savings enough for a downpayment, and would love to own a small house... but is this even possible in Seattle on my salary? We are very frugal, but even then the housing prices I'm seeing online are way out of my range for anything decent...

My brother used to live in the area and suggested the Ballard neighborhood as a place we would love to live. We love to walk (we usually go on 1-2 hour walks every day, plus we love longer hikes when we have time), and having parks and museums nearby would be great as my son grows up.

My job involves visiting businesses all over Seattle and to a lesser extent the rest of the state, so we really can live anywhere in the greater Seattle area. We love the idea of living in a walkable neighborhood in the city, but I just don't know if we can afford it (I'd love to pay less than $150,000 for a house, but could possibly imagine going up as far as $200,000).

Is it possible/worth it to live in the city... if so, is Ballard a possiblity in my range, or do you have other suggestions? Recommendations for realtors?

If not, where would you recommend looking instead in the larger Seattle area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
I would not recommend you move here for that salary and with those house price expectations.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I would not recommend you move here for that salary and with those house price expectations.
I would have to agree. With that salary and those housing price requirements you will not be happy in Seattle. I don't even think you'll find anything in that range except maybe 1 bedroom condos, in not great areas. Use a website like www.redfin.com and you'll see what's available.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
The odds of buying a house for that price range in the Seattle area is long gone. If there is a house near DT Seattle for less than 200K, it'll be snapped before the end of the 1st day on the market.

Unless you have the patience to go through the foreclosures (but even that has its caveats) it would be best to rent, look for a townhome/condo close Seattle -OR- branch out up north or south of Seattle, your odds of finding a house in that range increases as you get the further away from Seattle. Start at a 12 mile radius and expand from that point, odds are you'll find something closer from the South of Seattle but it won't be "decent" or come with a good school district.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,338 times
There plenty of houses and condos in the greater Seattle area for under 200K. You'll have to live at least a 45 minutes drive out from downtown Seattle in south King County or north Pierce County if you want a house. You can also look north to Everett/Marysville. There are probably no houses available in your range any closer but I have also seen 2 bedroom condos on realtor.com in Kirkland, Edmonds, Bothell, Renton, Des Moines and Tukwila for under 200K.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
You're certainly not going to find a house in Ballard for 200,000. Maybe 350 if you're lucky.
But there are houses a 20 minute drive from Seattle that are under 200, or close to it. Real houses, not condos. But they are in areas not considered hip and cool, areas not famous for having good school districts.
For example, the 98178 zip code has homes for less than 200. 98168 also. Probably 98188.
I just previewed a couple of houses in the 98178 zip code that are listed for 225 that were actually pretty nice.
But it's not an area where you can walk to the bookstore or the food co-op.
Of course, your other option is to rent. You can rent a fairly nice smaller home in a nice neighborhood like Ballard for around 1400 and up. It also makes sense to rent at first when you're moving to a new place, so you can explore neighborhoods and really see if you like the area after all.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,226 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you all for your thoughts! We certainly aren't opposed to condos/townhouses either

Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM

31 posts, read 104,879 times
To be honest, I wouldn't even try to buy a house on that salary, even if you can find a sell price that somehow fits.

The true cost of ownership, especially in this area, is much, much higher than just the sell price. From an article I saw last year, I believe 43k would put a family of 3 in the poverty level in the Seattle area.

You can get by if find something cheap to rent, but I wouldn't even think about owning right now. Wait until you can double your take home pay. Either by your wife going back to work or you increasing your earnings.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 AM

625 posts, read 1,389,896 times
Sounds like you have a few things to think about: what size place do you need/will you be having more children? will your future income go up (i.e. if your wife starts working in a few years). And at least in the meantime, are you comfortable with condo living or renting? A condo certainly seems doable around $200 from what I've seen, maybe less?

One thing to check out may be downpayment assistance thru the housing programs in Seattle. This may help close some of the gap, if you have savings already even better.

Although given closing costs and cost of resale, it may make sense to rent for 2-3 years, then when you are more comfortable income-wise, buy something. If you buy a condo as a "starter" home, it may not appreciate much in 2-3 years and the costs of resale would more than eat up the appreciation. Plus at $43,000 per year, and with one child, you are unlikely to see any tax benefits from a mortgage. And, you want to be careful about condo pitfalls - does the HOA have sufficient capital reserves? Are they planning, or have a repair coming up that requires, a major assessment on the owners? Is the balance of renters to owners unfavorable for resale?

I looked at Seattle too and one thing I found out are there are many "infill" townhomes in north Seattle areas like Ballard and Green Lake. While still out of your (and my) range, I realized that I could live in these attractive neighborhoods for around $300,000. Int he same neighborhood where a 50-year old 1,100 sq. ft. bungalow (and I don't mean a really cute historical one) goes for $400,000, I could buy a 1,500 sq. ft., brand new 3 Br townhome with a small front yard for $299,000 - $350,000; and a 2 BR in the 200's.

Also, I have no idea, but is Seattle housing going to come down in price in the coming years? If so, buying could be risky (again, I have no idea what the forecasts are) unless you plan to keep it for a long time.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 PM

10 posts, read 18,848 times
As a recent transplant from southern California, you should not make this move....you will be very hard pressed to find a house for that price in even a marginal neighborhood...it is expensive here..both housing and food, gas etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area