Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM

19 posts, read 98,633 times

Advertisements

Back when George HW Bush was president he decided to attack atheists. Because of that, those who were irreligious started The Non Religious Left, trying to protect their freedoms. Being HW Bush was a conservative republican, they became democrats. Now conservatives, as they usually do, decided to attack and belittle anyone who doesn't believe in God.

We can thank HW Bush for The Non-Religious Left and Anarchists, and W Bush for MoveOn. They were born of necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 04:40 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
So in other words, we can blame extremists on both sides for the equal and opposite reactions they created

That's why I'm an extremist centrist

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Take a look at this. Seattle is not as irreligious as it seems...

Local News | Most in state believe in God, poll finds | Seattle Times Newspaper

I can appreciate how you must feel a bit isolated in Dallas. I am a Christian and conservative and I fit in really well there. LOL. But I have to say, I feel just fine here as well. Though I live on the Eastside and it's a bit more conservative and all, I still have plenty of friends that shun organized religion and that are more liberal than I. Diversity keeps life interesting and helps me challenge/and or strengthen my perspectives and beliefs. Don't move to Seattle just because you think there are more liberal atheists. You are going to need more than that to go on to make it a home you'll be happy in.

And I am guessing my husband of 16 years who at the time I met him told me he was not at all interested in the Christian religion but thought I was cool enough to hang out with initially would tell you he's glad he got out of his box and met someone different than him. He can even handle church now...who would have thought that could even happen? Not me. Not then. Life can take strange turns. It's good to be open to people who are different than you. Heck, you might find someone just like you who you realize you'd never want to date.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
James Carville - Mary Matalin

Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
Back when Jimmy Carter was president he decided to attack religious schools. Because of that, those of religion started what is now," The Religious Right", trying to protect their freedoms. Being Carter was a liberal democrat, they became republicans. Now liberals, as they usually do, decided to attack and belittle anyone who believes in God.

We can thank Carter for The Religious Right and Neocons, and Obama for The Tea Party. They were born of necessity.
Carter didn't attack religious schools. He taught in them, and continued to after his Presidency. What he did was attempt to revoke the tax exempt status of a few religious schools because they did not allow black people to attend.
The argument wasn't over whether the schools were religious or not. Those who opposed Jimmy Carter on this felt that as religious schools, they should have the freedom to choose who attends.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
James Carville - Mary Matalin
No kidding. If that marriage could happen, anything is possible. I'd love to be a fly on the wall of that house sometimes though...

Old 12-08-2010, 04:14 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
My husband and I usually cancel each other's votes out Sometimes I try to trick him and pretend I am going to vote a certain way just to see if he is opposing me and not my candidate!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,100 times
Default Singles Scene

Like anywhere there are people interested in the same things as you. You just need to know where to find them. Like yourself, I am not very conservative or religious. There are some great groups on meetup.com I can recommend, or you could try the group I just started up if you're interested in the arts: ARTSgenY (Dallas, TX) - Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/artsgeny/ - broken link) .

Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Reputations and cliches happen because they are often true. Dallas and a lot of Texas is generally more conservative and religious than the west. Seattle is not particularly religious and they don't mix politics and religion. The urban parts of Seattle and the Eastside are more liberal and not particularly religious (by percentage) but the further you go out, such as North and East, the more conservative it becomes, but still not necessarily religious. The eastern part of Washington is more traditionally conservative (I sort of wish Idaho would take them, they'd be happier).

It's like Northern California. San Francisco is more liberal, but if you go to the East Bay and more toward Sacramento, they become more conservative politically.

You would fit in Seattle politically and religiously, but you would be able to forget your political and religious definitions. You wear them now because you are standing out from those you know and it's a constant reminder. It sounds like your contrarian position allows you to be successful with a religious (or maybe agnostic?) website. Seattle might make you lose your mojo since there is nothing to get riled about.

In Seattle, we really don't care about your religion and don't much like to talk about it. If you come here with a big banner that says "I'm liberal and agnostic", that will make most uncomfortable. We may be largely liberal, etc. but we don't make a big thing about it.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Most people are either agnostic or universalist in their thoughts in Seattle. There is a higher percentage of Atheists in Seattle than anywhere else in the nation except San Fransisco. Seattle is overwhelmingly liberal, to the left of Obama. The rest of the area is either right of center or centrist. Rural areas are typically republican.

But I have yet to see a heated argument about politics in public here. It just doesn't happen. People don't care too much about politics insofar as how it affects their daily life here. The best example would be the rise in parking fees and the tolls which will go on 520 and I-90 (and most likely all highways in the area in the next 15 years). People care about the issues, not so much about the political affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area