Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 PM

15 posts, read 49,851 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Vancouver BC to Seattle's eastside. I want to pick the best / most appropriate school for my teenage son going into 9th grade first and then find the house / townhouse after.

He does well academically and also loves to play soccer. I just don't know how he stacks up against WA kids compared to Vancouver BC. I don't wnat to burst his bubble. Which high schools on the east side (Kirkland/ Redmond / Bellevue) have a freshmen soccer team as I understand some only have JV and Varsity? I want him to be able to play.

Also , looking for a not so pretentious school as we are not!

Also, how do i select the right middle school for my daughter going into 6th grade. AGain, prefer a school where fashion and meanness is not prevalent.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
"best" is difficult to define. Many Eastside high schools are great so that's the upside. I can't speak to soccer prgrams as many kids play Select most of the year which then takes a hiatus for high school soccer season. So you might check with some of the Select coaches on which high school programs they prefer. The Select programs I am aware of are Crossfire and Eastside FC, though I know I am missing a few. As far as a starting point for researching schools, here is a link to a Report Card website.

Washington | School performance | Fraser Institute

We live in Sammamish in the Issaquah School District. Our kids will matriculate to Pine Lake Middle and Skyline High School. We have heard great reviews on both schools over the years and have witnessed the older kids in our neighborhood go on to great colleges and do well. So that's encouraging. Even better is that we love the area with it's natural beauty, proximity to the water, skiing and hiking. It's also very family oriented with a lot of open space surrounding it.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 AM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times
You really can't go wrong with any school on the Eastside. The high schools in Bellevue are so close in national rankings that there's not too big of a difference between them.

The interesting thing about this area is that the whole fashion/class separation is not an issue. Yes, there are billionaires living in castles on Lake Washington, but there are also working-class people who live in 50-year old homes.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM

17 posts, read 33,236 times
I agree with Texastrigirl - Skyline High and the catchment middle and elementary schools are very good. (Issaquah School district) which is not as pretentious as Bellevue school district.
Not sure about the boys soccer, but the girls won the State tile in 2008 and 2009. They renovated and added 24 classrooms in 2009-2010 to accommodate freshmen classes.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Thank you for your input! It is so hard to get a true feel of a place and have to buy so quickly without having time to experience a place. I am considering Kirkland or Redmond, otherwise I like the sounds of Issaquah being close to trails and skiing etc.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Will you be commuting downtown? The 520 bridge project might entangle the commute a bit for a few years. Not that I-90 won't be congested because of it as well but that's one of the main reasons we chose Sammamish (though we are just a few blocks from Issaquah). Other reasons were natural beauty, fantastic schools, bigger lots and the crown jewel of Pine Lake.

I looked at 31 houses in 2 days between Issaquah and all over Sammamish so it's possible. Kirkland is a great place to live though. Love the downtown!!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanandJeretta View Post
(Issaquah School district) which is not as pretentious as Bellevue school district.
Say wha?

I've attended Newport HS (of Bellevue SD)... pretentious is not what I would describe it.

Do not forget to check out the Northshore SD (Bothell/Woodinville area). Juanita HS has the Cambridge Program, being one of two schools to have such program in the entire West coast. It might be too late for your son to join in, but your daughter could in the future.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
All 3 Sammamish High Schools are great, Eastlake, Skyline and Eastside Catholic (private), same with all Bellevue schools. The best though, are Mercer Island, but it's not exactly affordable there.Sammamish and Issaquah are both close to the mountains, and both have hiking trails. Kirkland schools are not bad but not the same as those mentioned above.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 PM

How does Redmond schools stack up to the aforementioned (Sammamish and Bellevue SD)?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Here's how I would rate them:

1. Mercer Island

2. Bellevue

3. Sammamish
4. Issaquah

5. Redmond

The gaps indicate the difference between them.

Sammamish and Redmond schools are all in the same district, but it's pretty spread out and therefore the schools vary. In Sammamish part is in Lake WA district, part in Issaquah District, but both Skyline and Eastlake are great schools with very successful soccer programs. They are less than a mile apart and Eastside Catholic is in between, another great school but $16,000 a year tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area