Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 AM

24 posts, read 63,410 times

Advertisements

Reviews like on yelp and google places etc.? Where would you go for in-print reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Whatever method you choose to make yourself known, good online or in-print reviews are key these days. It seems that more and more people read them, and rely on them when choosing a business. I know I do!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsea View Post
Reviews like on yelp and google places etc.? Where would you go for in-print reviews?
I am thinking of publications here in San Diego, such as "The Pennysaver" and "2 For 1", that have reviews of businesses. How one gets one's business reviewed there, I have no idea.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Definitely take advantage of Free Google maps business listings, so you show early on a search. (have your previous customers populate the 'reviews')

Recently there was whole webinar on free web marketing techniques. (I will try to find it, probably done by SCORE, SBDC, or SBA).
here you go https://google.connectsolutions.com/p72503390/
https://docs.google.com/present/edit...dHJxcGc2&hl=en
https://docs.google.com/present/edit...cWp4d2d4&hl=en

Spend some time in the resource section of Business Tools | SCORE
Attend workshops done by local chapter Seattle Score
(FREE counseling too) A good idea is to ask to present your business at a monthly meeting and get some 'group' feedback.

Talk with Helping Businesses in Washington State Succeed for Over 30 Years - WSBDC

Join some small business forums in your industry cluster.
FORM a local chapter of INDUSTRY cluster AND offer to publish the newsletter (A GREAT way to get quick networking and access to the 'Movers and Shakers' in your industry AND to interview suppliers and keep abreast of growth opportunities.)

Get a small display / fliers into antique stores where the 'wealthy' locals shop.
Offer to do some work for a local Theater group (eclectics that would be into spending on their own 'upholstery' projects)
Offer to do some work for a local Museum, or Historical Site (with lots of wealthy volunteers who will see and adore your work / contribution.

Join or attend some furniture making guilds.

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-04-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 PM

Thank you, it is a great piece of information, I have copied the links, in case they will be removed, I will see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Definitely take advantage of Free Google maps business listings, so you show early on a search. (have your previous customers populate the 'reviews')

Recently there was whole webinar on free web marketing techniques. (I will try to find it, probably done by SCORE, SBDC, or SBA).
here you go https://google.connectsolutions.com/p72503390/
https://docs.google.com/present/edit...dHJxcGc2&hl=en
https://docs.google.com/present/edit...cWp4d2d4&hl=en

Spend some time in the resource section of Business Tools | SCORE
Attend workshops done by local chapter Seattle Score
(FREE counseling too) A good idea is to ask to present your business at a monthly meeting and get some 'group' feedback.

Talk with Helping Businesses in Washington State Succeed for Over 30 Years - WSBDC

Join some small business forums in your industry cluster.
FORM a local chapter of INDUSTRY cluster AND offer to publish the newsletter (A GREAT way to get quick networking and access to the 'Movers and Shakers' in your industry AND to interview suppliers and keep abreast of growth opportunities.)

Get a small display / fliers into antique stores where the 'wealthy' locals shop.
Offer to do some work for a local Theater group (eclectics that would be into spending on their own 'upholstery' projects)
Offer to do some work for a local Museum, or Historical Site (with lots of wealthy volunteers who will see and adore your work / contribution.

Join or attend some furniture making guilds.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsea View Post
Thanks, for your suggestion. But, I don't feel right about advertising in a place where customers have to pay fees. Customers who want to upolster their furniture often trying to save money, and paying upfront for saving money probably would not work for my type of business.
Newsea, I am always trying to save money...I am a CPA so it's in my DNA. But I feel the $40 annual subscription is worth it because it has saved me so many headaches. I remodeled two bathrooms with a contractor I found on Angies List. He was fabulous and I never would have found him otherwise. I move than saved enough money on him to pay for Angies List for years to come. I found my landscaper, painter, roof/gutter cleaner, electrician, carpet cleaner, plumber and even a driver to take us to the airport off of there. Because I stick to people who are only A rated with many reviews, I have had a great experience and have saved $ for sure. To each is own but I know most of my friends use Angie's List and consider it well worth the money. My painter said he almost hates it now when people review him because he already has so much business off of AL, he can't get back to everyone in a timely fashion and he feels his customer service suffers. It's a good problem to have esp. if you are starting out in a new city.

BTW, you can't keep people from reviewing you on AL either and you pay them nothing for reviewing you. They can put you there whether you want to be or not. The way I see it, it's just covering another avenue of advertising. It's as simple as asking a "how did you find us?" question and if they say AL, you follow up with them and ask them to write a review.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM

304 posts, read 851,077 times
You need publicity. Bellingham has a "Wig Out" parade every year. Maybe you can stage a "mod-out" haircut parade down the street one day (if your customers are willing to sport your look walking down the street). Put the video on youtube and call up local tv and radio stations to tell them about it. You could even stage a flash mob in a local mall where people wearing your mod cut perform a little jingle about your salon.

Another publicity move is to offer a free mod cut on a specific day in exchange for donating something (i.e. a warm coat for the needy or toiletries for a local battered women's shelter). Get local TV stations to bring their crews out to your salon and film a story about it.

mod interpose: *sigh* ok, ok, I'll let this one stand. Everybody go ahead and get your 2-cents in now as we are going to close this thread shortly as it really now belongs in the business forum. So go ahead and everybody get their "mod cut" jokes out of your system now. --'r

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-05-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
You need publicity. Bellingham has a "Wig Out" parade every year. Maybe you can stage a "mod-out" haircut parade down the street one day (if your customers are willing to sport your look walking down the street). Put the video on youtube and call up local tv and radio stations to tell them about it. You could even stage a flash mob in a local mall where people wearing your mod cut perform a little jingle about your salon. Another publicity move is to offer a free mod cut on a specific day in exchange for donating something (i.e. a warm coat for the needy or toiletries for a local battered women's shelter). Get local TV stations to bring their crews out to your salon and film a story about it.

mod interpose: *sigh* ok, ok, I'll let this one stand. Everybody go ahead and get your 2-cents in now as we are going to close this thread shortly as it really now belongs in the business forum. So go ahead and everybody get their "mod cut" jokes out of your system now. --'r
Haven't laughed this hard in a long time.
Rocco, thanks for letting us keep this going.
"mod cuts: the next thing in hair care!!!"

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 AM

I have got here many answers as where on the internet I can go and what usually average business do when they need to advertise, I am not so good at it, and really appreciate it. But, what I was hoping for is East Seattle specific information. I was hoping this thread will be helpful for people who are in the same shoes as I am - struggling a tough battle to fit in in East Seattle business community. I did not look forward to get my thread closed, but I guess it is my fault I was not specific enough, like - what news paper in East Seattle should I give my ad to and where do you guys look for services in "local" sources. I like this forum and moderators do a good job keeping it clean, if you think this thread does not reflect life of the people here then kill it anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygir

Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 AM

I will ask my customers if they have account with them. How did you got convinced to open account with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Newsea, I am always trying to save money...I am a CPA so it's in my DNA. But I feel the $40 annual subscription is worth it because it has saved me so many headaches. I remodeled two bathrooms with a contractor I found on Angies List. He was fabulous and I never would have found him otherwise. I move than saved enough money on him to pay for Angies List for years to come. I found my landscaper, painter, roof/gutter cleaner, electrician, carpet cleaner, plumber and even a driver to take us to the airport off of there. Because I stick to people who are only A rated with many reviews, I have had a great experience and have saved $ for sure. To each is own but I know most of my friends use Angie's List and consider it well worth the money. My painter said he almost hates it now when people review him because he already has so much business off of AL, he can't get back to everyone in a timely fashion and he feels his customer service suffers. It's a good problem to have esp. if you are starting out in a new city.

BTW, you can't keep people from reviewing you on AL either and you pay them nothing for reviewing you. They can put you there whether you want to be or not. The way I see it, it's just covering another avenue of advertising. It's as simple as asking a "how did you find us?" question and if they say AL, you follow up with them and ask them to write a review.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I just opened it on my own because I had heard it was a great place to find reputable people and with a large landscaping job or bathroom remodel, it's nice to have in-depth reviews on someone when you are spending that kind of cash. It has never, ever steered me wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area