Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM

21 posts, read 47,399 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Seattle and want to live downtown for the first year or two, as I'll be working long hours and want to avoid a commute. I'm focusing on these options:
  • The Olivian
  • Metropolitan Tower
  • Harbor Steps
  • Cobb Building
  • Renting a condo in Belltown

Olivian and MT seem like they would be the quietest (I'd be on a high floor), Harbor Steps and Cobb Building are closest to office (but may be louder given traffic), and a Belltown condo would allow me to avoid dealing with a property management company (although I have concerns about safety/noise in Belltown).

I am a single female, so safety is a concern, and I want to get the quietest apartment possible (hence, focus on high floors and good construction). Does anyone have thoughts on/experience with any of the above options? I'm going to visit Seattle later this week, but I'm sure the leasing agents will do a hard sell and I won't be able to really evaluate the apartments in the way that I'd like.

Feel free to suggest something else if you think I've left a good option off the list!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SienaWren View Post
I'm relocating to Seattle and want to live downtown for the first year or two, as I'll be working long hours and want to avoid a commute. I'm focusing on these options:
  • The Olivian
  • Metropolitan Tower
  • Harbor Steps
  • Cobb Building
  • Renting a condo in Belltown

Olivian and MT seem like they would be the quietest (I'd be on a high floor), Harbor Steps and Cobb Building are closest to office (but may be louder given traffic), and a Belltown condo would allow me to avoid dealing with a property management company (although I have concerns about safety/noise in Belltown).

I am a single female, so safety is a concern, and I want to get the quietest apartment possible (hence, focus on high floors and good construction). Does anyone have thoughts on/experience with any of the above options? I'm going to visit Seattle later this week, but I'm sure the leasing agents will do a hard sell and I won't be able to really evaluate the apartments in the way that I'd like.

Feel free to suggest something else if you think I've left a good option off the list!

Thank you!!
A lot of downtown Seattle gets pretty quiet in the evenings, so I wouldn't rule out the Cobb Building. It certainly has character, and they did a pretty amazing job transforming it into residences.
I don't know why, but I've always found the area right around Harbor Steps to be a little creepy. That's not based on facts at all. I think Belltown might be the noisiest of the choices you mentioned.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Great, thank you! I made an appointment to visit The Cobb Building on Friday. I'm curious to see the renovations. It looks really terrific!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I work at Pier 69, and yes, Belltown has trains, lots of long ones, and in the summer you have cruise ship horns, though some people like those. Cobb is a great central location. Harbor Steps can get some questionable night time
pedestrian traffic, but all the others mentioned would be fine too.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the insight, bisjoe! I didn't know about the trains or cruise ship horns. Good tip! Given what you and Ira500 mentioned about Harbor Steps, I think I'll cross that off the list, too. It's really helpful to be able to narrow things down. Much appreciated!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 10,503 times
I am excited to hear what you think.. My husband and are very seriously considering a job offer which would relocate me to Seattle..

I will be working downtown, long hours and weekends... We were looking at Mercer Island or downtown Bellevue..

We have a dog, which freaks out around loud noises..

Please post what you think of them..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhspark View Post
I am excited to hear what you think.. My husband and are very seriously considering a job offer which would relocate me to Seattle..

I will be working downtown, long hours and weekends... We were looking at Mercer Island or downtown Bellevue..

We have a dog, which freaks out around loud noises..

Please post what you think of them..
Both nice, safe, and not too bad a commute, but lately the traffic through and in Bellevue has become horrible. Long signal lights, and not enough lanes for the number of cars. It can take 1/2 hour at commute times to go a mile.
Even Saturday when I was there it took me a good 15 minutes from bellevue Square to the 405 N on ramp, should be about 3 minutes. If you choose there look for fast access to I90. You don't want to have to go on 405 to 90 if you can help it. Commuting to Seattle from Mercer Island is a breeze, if you can afford the housing there.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Congrats on your job offer, cmhspark! I would have a similar schedule. I'll be sure to post an update when I return. I don't have a car and didn't want a bus commute, which really limited my options. If I had a dog and were willing to commute, however, I personally would opt for Upper Queen Anne. Close enough to be a reasonable commute, but with a real neighborhood feel and space for dogs to play!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,503 times
We thought about Upper Queen Anne, but guess the apartments we have seen are kind of old and frumpy looking...

We like the more new side of things at least the interior.. We like structure, but dont' want to live in something that hasn't been touched since 1970's

Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,314 times
To SienaWren - I would love to hear about pricing on the Cobb; I am doing high level research for temporary living for a friend that is having a major remodel done on his condo. Best of luck in your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area