Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM

175 posts, read 227,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Less hassle to just go to Vancouver if that's what you are interested in. There's plenty to do there and not have to make the 3 hour drive.

On another note...If it's sunny, the drive does have some pectacular sights, and the 1 hour detour to Deception Pass is an unforgettable experience. Pure Pacific NW scenery and then the dual bridges of the pass...breathtaking.
I am thinking the same thing. Is there any Canadian cities to recommend really close to Vancouver.....roughly one hour away for a day trip from vancouver?

I am aware of Victoria! How is Victoria for a day trip?

Any other cities close by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel guy View Post
I am thinking the same thing. Is there any Canadian cities to recommend really close to Vancouver.....roughly one hour away for a day trip from vancouver?

Victoria is an awesome city to visit. It's known as the city for newlyweds or nearly-deads
It's quite awhile to get there and back though on BC ferries, it's about 4 hours each way. It might be worth it, as there is lots of great Canadian history to explore.
For me I would it in two days personally. I have done it in a day, and you'll feel like you're rushed.

Other great towns/cities are Squamish (66km/41miles) which is known as the outdoor adventure capital of Canada. Awesome hiking, great sightseeing. Have a lot of friends that have moved there actually, because of rising house prices in Vancouver. Great little town, lots of great restaurants and coffee shops. If anything, do it for the drive. Try to keep your mouth closed from the astonishment. It will blow your mind.

Whistler is only another 56KM/35 miles north of Squamish. Huge resort town, site of 2010 winter olympics, lots to do there as well. I go every year twice a year, and even if you don't hike or bike it's still a wonderful town with lots to see and do.

Bowen Island is great too, only a short 30 min ferry ride from West Vancouver. Lots of cool little hikes, lots of cool little shops to visit. I always love going over there, it's so peaceful.

Gibsons BC is another cool little town. 40 min ferry ride from Vancouver. Never been there, so can't tell you much about it. Was the site of the TV show "beachcombers" if you've heard of it.

hope this helps!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:18 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,097,714 times
+1 on Whistler. The drive there is spectacular, the resort is World Class, and the village a bunch of fun.

Harrison Hot Springs is a nice resort to stay at, a bit spendy, but still nice and right on a picturesque lake.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:56 PM

381 posts, read 861,582 times
Quote:

Seattle has some cool urban settings: Downtown, Pioneer Square, Belltown and Capitol Hill, among others. Not as urban as San Francisco or Vancouver overall, but it does have its own unique flavor and is more urban than most US cities outside of the NE corridor.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,982,625 times
Wink Via Hurricane Ridge

This may not apply, as your interests seemingly primarily urban, but if driving and wishing a nice hike you might visit Olympic National Park. Specifically the relatively short drive well up from Port Angeles to Hurricane Ridge. A spectacular view, and good hiking is guaranteed, if the weather cooperates.

This would be celestially dependent, and you didn't say, but if this trip in the winter then never mind, unless you wish to see a lot of snow. With, as far as I know, the access road to that place closed throughout the winter, except on weekends. If in the summer, however, one might expect more reliably blue skies, great vistas, with some of them afforded by short but quite pleasant hikes just north and up to look over and across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. A lovely, simple, and fast excursion, well, at least from Port Angeles.

Getting there from Seattle entails a beautiful drive, quite possibly a ferry ride, and more time. It could be worth it depending on how you arrange things. If wishing to visit Vancouver Island and Victoria, this might be done as a continuation of such a trip, as there is ferry service between Port Angles and Victoria. In other words, taking the long, scenic route to Vancouver BC. Time-wise, it should be perfectly possible to begin your day in Seattle, visit Olympic NP, and end it in visiting Victoria. Do check, however, as ferry service between PA and Victoria may not run in winter; but if winter, you may wish to forgo such an excursion anyway.

As an ever so lovely place, Olympic NP offers any number of lovely hikes, with many at a low enough elevation to seldom see snow, although quite possibly a lot of rain in winter. Presumably you have neither the time or inclination to venture so far off the beaten path. But Hurricane Ridge is another matter, and will not be forgotten if visited.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 AM

175 posts, read 227,180 times
I need help again with Seattle!

I am was wondering if you guys could list the top streets in Seattle with the most activity, shopping, dining, urbanity, etc.

I would like to view these on google maps.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,192 times
Quote:
I need help again with Seattle!

I am was wondering if you guys could list the top streets in Seattle with the most activity, shopping, dining, urbanity, etc.

I would like to view these on google maps.

Thanks.
I would do anything between 1st 2nd ave - between Stewart street and pine street downtown.
Pioneer Square- 1st 2nd ave between S king st and yesler way. Actually Yesler and 1st is a good starting point.

Anywhere around there is pretty cool to look at, that's the areas I remember the most.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,131,708 times
Actually, Vancouver is a much more beautiful city then Seattle. It sits right at the foot of same really spectacular mountains. I always felt, with these mountains as a backdrop and it's bay, Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world along with Hong Kong. If you drive up I-5 from Seattle (you'll want to get out of Seattle fast) you'll also see some very beautiful countryside and mountains as well and I would highly recommend this as one segment of your trip.
I go to Vancouver often, getting across the border is a snap from Seattle, usually the Canadian boarder patrol will just wave you through after asking you what is the purpose of your trip and how long you will be staying. It's the U.S. border patrol that will hold you up. So it's easier going up then coming back. I do the trip easily in 2 1/2 hrs., coming back will take you longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area