Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 PM

11 posts, read 11,652 times

Advertisements

Hello, I wanted to get some advice from some people in the seattle area, i am single and in my late 30's. i am looking to move to seattle and wanted to see what part of town or any surrounding areas would anyone recommend me. i have been in austin my whole life and i always wanted to visit or move to seattle but now with my youngest out of the house, i thought this would be a good time to make a change. i do have two dogs, so anywhere where its dog friendly, Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM

21,991 posts, read 15,743,872 times
There's nothing wrong with wanting to move to a new place and shake up your life but I would recommend that you come visit first. You might even taking a driving vacation and check out Portland too (only three hours away). You certainly don't want to move to a place you have never actually seen. Just a thought

Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,926,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There's nothing wrong with wanting to move to a new place and shake up your life but I would recommend that you come visit first. You might even taking a driving vacation and check out Portland too (only three hours away). You certainly don't want to move to a place you have never actually seen. Just a thought
I second that advice! Austin and Seattle are very different - in climate, topography, and atmosphere. I love both cities, but if you've lived in Austin all your life, you should really visit Seattle before committing to a move there! It will be a big change - maybe a good one, but a change nonetheless

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,372,107 times
The grass is always greener ...

I second taking a vacation. Take two. Once in the winter, like now, where it is raining ... almost daily ... and multiply that by 150. Which is how long winter is here with the near constant rain. By rain I mean drizzle.

Then take a vacation here in the summer, where it is GLORIOUS and second to none.

Then make up your mind.

And it might be a good idea to find a job first, Seattle is MUCH more expensive than Austin.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 AM

11 posts, read 11,652 times
Thank you all for your advice, and i will just do that vacation trip in the summer time, seacove i never thought about portland but that is on my agenda to see when i am on vacation. i know its a huge move, expensive and way different from austin but a new scenery won't be a bad idea. lucky with my job i can just transfer anywhere.. again thank you all...

Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,712,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewoman56 View Post
Thank you all for your advice, and i will just do that vacation trip in the summer time, seacove i never thought about portland but that is on my agenda to see when i am on vacation. i know its a huge move, expensive and way different from austin but a new scenery won't be a bad idea. lucky with my job i can just transfer anywhere.. again thank you all...
People are telling you to take a trip in the Winter/early spring - when it's nothing but cold and wet from Oct 15 through June 15th

If you come in the Summer- you'll think it's heaven on earth.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM

282 posts, read 807,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
People are telling you to take a trip in the Winter/early spring - when it's nothing but cold and wet from Oct 15 through June 15th

If you come in the Summer- you'll think it's heaven on earth.
I agree with this completely. Yes, do check out the summer here, it's probably the best place in the country during summer time. 60s/70s (occasional 80s/90s), low humidity, sunny, beautiful scenery, etc.

However, that lasts 2 months, 3 max. The rest of the year (as in, the majority of the year), it's dark and wet.

MAKE SURE you visit for several days during the winter and imagine having that most of the year. It can definitely be a challenge if you did not grow up with (l'm not from here originally either).

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 AM

93 posts, read 264,071 times
We are in much the same situation. Me being married, late 30's, and waiting for my daughter to graduate (next year) so we can leave Texas. Visiting first during the winter is good advice. So is saving up money and having a job first. Or you could just jump in with both feet and don't hesitate. If you pause, next thing you know, you'll be 60 and still in Texas. Go now! You can always come back or go somewhere else. Everyone needs to find their place in the world. It's a wonderful thing. There's a good chance we will end up in Edmonds. GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewoman56 View Post
...i am single and in my late 30's. i am looking to move to seattle and wanted to see what part of town or any surrounding areas would anyone recommend me. i have been in austin my whole life and i always wanted to visit or move to seattle but now with my youngest out of the house, i thought this would be a good time to make a change.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM

21,991 posts, read 15,743,872 times
TotalFat, I get the "jump in and commit" aspect. But moving is so expensive. There are many reasons to visit first but one of the big ones is, if you visit first, you might find that an area close by is much better suited to you. As an example, when we came to Seattle, it was just for fun. We had planned on moving to Portland but wanted to visit first to be sure. When we got to Portland, we didn't get "the feeling". It all felt wrong somehow. I say this knowing that many in Portland, feel the same way about Seattle.

We were sitting at dinner, a bit bummed. You may remember the movie "Under Siege". It was playing in the hotel. And at the front desk was a flyer to tour the USS Missouri (I think that's it). My husband thought that would be a fun thing to do so the trip wouldn't be wasted. He is not an early riser on vacation but the next morning, he was the first up. The ship was docked in Bremerton. We left so early, we were probably in Seattle by 9:00 a.m. This was everything we thought Portland was going to be and more. We spent the whole day going everywhere including that ship. We left knowing exactly what we wanted to do. I had traveled to Seattle and Portland for work but you rarely look at a city the same way when you are on a work trip (airport, hotel, meetings, airport). If we had just moved without visiting (hard for me to conceive) we would have made a lot of expensive mistakes. Not every place is suited to everyone. And I personally think Portland has less rain, so someone might find Portland preferable for that and many other reasons. The cost to visit is nothing compared to the cost of moving twice.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,783,197 times
Just as a side note: a lot of other women in your age group in Seattle are still running after toddlers. So just be prepared to have conversations about poo and breastfeeding again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area