Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,454 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Seattle area and really love a home in Auburn. However, we have two children, 1 and 4, and we are concerned about the things we have read regarding the school district. Can anyone provide any input on Auburn schools?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,574 times
The schools in Auburn are not known to be very good. You can look at sites like GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools to get some ideas. When my hubby and I were house shopping we ruled out Auburn because of the schools.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Agreed, definitely not among the best. In general the better the schools
the higher the home prices, it's the first thing realtors are asked by home buyers. Look at cities like Bellevue, Sammamish and Issaquah. The prices will be higher but you might luck into a short sale.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Auburn schools are a mixed bag, and that's the difference between a place like Auburn and a place like Bellevue. Auburn has a few very good schools, but also a lot of mediocre and bad schools, where almost all of Bellevue's schools are at least pretty good. Lakeland Hills Elementary in Auburn has a great reputation, and there's a good middle and decent high school there as well, but you have to be careful in a place like Auburn that you don't end up living in a part of town with bad schools, and there are many.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
As an Auburn resident I currently have children attending the Auburn Schools. The schools are trying their best to work with what they have. The middle class community supports the schools to the best of their ability. The district, as a whole, really focuses on reading and math skills. One of my kids is an honor student and one of my kids is the opposite of an honor student. The thing that I appreciate is that even though my boys are so different in character they are treated with an equal amount of respect by their teachers and administration. Their teachers use a student centered approach in their teaching styles, which allows my kids to learn at their own pace, and still meet requirements. The school utilizes their paraeducators to provide the best and most possible learning opportunities for all students and this is super important to me.
There are schools that do service some parts of the community that are extremely low income and with this comes learning disabilities and behavior. However, those schools know what they are up against and are working dilligently to maintain a standard of providing the best possible learning opportunities and the combat behavior and learning disabilities.

Basically, every district has its issues. Auburn has a bad rap for having bad schools and it just isn't true. Yes there are schools with a higher rate of free and reduced lunches than others, but in Auburn there is a rich mesh of cultures that has come together and learned, through trial and error, to livei n harmony. Any kid will benefit from the diverse cultures of the schools and the creative ways the teachers have come together to teach.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:00 AM

234 posts, read 499,027 times
Hi, I lived in Auburn for a few years. Both of my kids go to school in Auburn and LOVE IT. I am a teacher myself from a neighboring district and have been pretty happy with their school. Really caring teachers and a fantastic principal. I personally think it's cool my kids go to a diverse school with a number of different languages spoken and income levels, but for some reason that tends to scare a lot of people off.

I also work with several other teachers and co-workers with children at Auburn schools and I haven't heard anything negative from them beyond minor stuff you hear from parents at any public school. Now, our kids all go to one of several higher performing schools so yes that probably makes a difference as Auburn is much more diverse ethnically and income wise than Bellevue or Issaquah. My kids' babysitter will be graduating from Mt. View High School, is an honor student in the running start program, and has already been acccepted to both the University of Washington and Western Wahington University. I also work with a woman who has a daughter that just finished medical school. The daughter graduated from an Auburn high school.

Yes the Issaquah and Bellevue schools are great for the most part, but I think it's unfortunate Auburn gets labelled as inferior. Honestly I would rather live in Bellevue or Issaquah if I absolutely had to make a choice, but it has little to do with the schools my kids would go to. Anyways, if you want more info shoot me a PM. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area