U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM

76 posts, read 147,284 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking to relocate from London and has more or less been told he can work in Seattle if he wants, with a few different companies, mainly based in Bellevue.

We'll only start seriously considering a move if there's enough for me to do (I don't do bored, lonely housewife well!). I work in theatre and run a relatively successful company in London at the moment. I know there are few places which will match London's theatre scene but I'm used to working off west end for little or no money so wondering if there is any kind of fringe theatre scene in Seattle.

Also, where do we start in terms of looking at neighbourhoods? I don't currently drive, though I guess would learn if we moved to anywhere not London, we have a toddler so vaguely family friendly would be good! I've lived in London since teens and do much better in a vibrant city environment than out in the sticks, would rather a diverse than a "safe, wealthy" area....any suggestions on where to begin?! We'd want to rent somewhere with min 3 beds, not sure what our budget would be but I imagine absolute maximum $2,000/month
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,581,075 times
If you're looking for the vibrant city environment, that really leaves only a few neighborhodds:
Capitol Hill
Queen Anne
Ballard
Fremont
West Seattle ( Alaska Junction area)
South Lake Union
Columbia City
Capitol Hill and Queen Anne are the most densely populated and closest to downtown.
They say Seattle is a big theatre town, and there's a lot of stuff going on ( Seattle Rep, ACT Theatre, Intiman Theatre and others) but the Fringe Festival went bankrupt and some other companies have gone out of business. Not exactly an easy business to thrive in, financially.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,765,593 times
There are a few fringe theaters in Seattle, but I think that they are more a labor of love for the participants than they are a place to make a living. Most of the people I know who are in theater have other jobs to pay for what is essentially their hobby. There are a few larger repertory theaters in Seattle, but they are non-profits and most are having significant funding issues at the moment. (Intiman Theater just put out an emergency call for cash donations from its supporters, and other companies aren't doing that well either.)

Your history on the West End could be a benefit to you, at least to open some doors. But every part of the arts community is struggling right now as people find that they don't have the money they used to for theater tickets and donations.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM

76 posts, read 147,284 times
to be honest I won't have a green card and have been creating theatre for nothing for the last 6 years anyway (that's how it works in London!) so the financial side isn't important, it's more about whether there is a scene to get involved in at all. Believe me, I'm more than used to working in an industry that has little or no money coming in (thankyou for making it that much harder coalition government!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area