Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,573,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The pizza thing was a JOKE. I don't care if you eat pizza all day and night.
No one has ever called me a hippie, quite the opposite. I just don't wear my politics on my sleeve at work. I work in a corporate tech environment between Seattle and NorCal and dress very corporate.
I have never smoked pot (or cigarettes) or any other drug. I drive a 4Runner and live on the Eastside. And I vote blue. See how wrong your cliches are?
Apparently for all your abilities to dress yourself and picking out Toyota's, you never learned the difference between the words "you" and "they". I never specifically said anything about YOU other than your comment about eating salmon (and if that was your idea of a joke, you really need to learn what a joke is. You can't say you're all for "pushing lower emissions and exercise and green living" and in the next sentence expect people to assume you're being tongue in cheek when you tell someone who wants pizza they should eat something healthier like fish). The only "joke" is you actually expect people to believe you were joking, given the flow of your comment.

Go back and read my post, find those subtle little differences, order Hooked on Phonics, learn what those differences mean, then get back to me.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,637,595 times
The difference between "you" and "they" can be hard to discern when you use my quotes to respond to.
A wink after a silly line is typically regarded as a joke but that's okay.
Aren't you scraping the cream, making as much money as you can before returning to your native country anyway?
Just because I drive a 4Runner, doesn't mean I think Prius' (or VWs) are bad. They're good, just not Costco-friendly.
You have a lot of anger; have you tried yoga? Or herbal tea?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:48 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,327,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

On the issue of Chicago pizza: You can have Gino's deep dish Chicago pizza shipped to you here in Seattle. Sure, it costs a pretty penny. But let's be honest: Since Seattle can't offer up a dish anything like it, sometimes it's worth it to pay the premium. I mean hell, if I'm willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a meal at Canlis, what's the big deal with plopping down 70 bucks for 2 awesome pizzas (24 and change for each of the pies, 20 dollars for shipping)?

Xanathos, I take back all the bad things I ever said about you.

I would give you a hug, but then I'd likely spread whatever the hell got me sick this past week. I wouldn't wish whatever I had even on my worst enemy.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 PM

56 posts, read 127,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
That isn't really the issue here though. I could bring up a couple points about some of spending practices that Mayor Schwinn that is just bizarre. He complains about how we don't have enough money, but has no problem spending $15K per intersection to redefine bike lanes and bike boxes. His push for $4 street parking as one of the solution to fixing the budget. Not to mention of the Mayor's horrid behavior about the whole MOHI deal.
If these bike boxes keep cyclists safer, allow traffic to flow better and and ultimately get me to my destination faster I'm fine with $15,000. That's pretty small pototoes...buys what, 1/4th of a bus driver, 25 feet of sidewalk, and two feet of highway? Hopefully some traffic and civil engineers signed off on them and it's not a largely politically driven thing.

As for $4 parking that largely doesn't affect me as I avoid driving downtown whenever possible. That amount is also aimed at keeping a space or two free on each block and thus keep commerce and circulation up, and help reduce the number of the circling-for-spaces drivers.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 PM

299 posts, read 664,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That said, as larger urban areas go, Seattle is one of the better ones IMHO.
Ditto. Every city has problems with traffic, crime, and other not-so-pleasant things but that's part of city life. Seattle is certainly more of a true city and more of what I've been searching for in a city than where I'm from. I'll be moving up there very very soon, this month in fact.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Xanathos, I take back all the bad things I ever said about you.

I would give you a hug, but then I'd likely spread whatever the hell got me sick this past week. I wouldn't wish whatever I had even on my worst enemy.
Oh, don't worry, give it 5 minutes and I'll say something to make all of them come rushing back. Since I don't have a collection of views that fit into any one tidy box, it's almost guaranteed to offend everyone at least some of the time.

On the issue of food delivery, it's just the byproduct of having been in so many places and wanting to continue to have access to places that put each place on the culinary map. Seattle's a great foodie town in what it does have, but there are a surprising number of things you simply can't get here (which could be labeled another 'Seattle con'). At any given time if one were to drive past my house they might find the UPS or Fedex man has left me a box with (ex.) pastrami & corned beef from New York, pastas & sauces from New York, pizzas from Chicago, chowder from Boston, lobster rolls from Maine, BBQ from Texas and Memphis, various Cuban foods from Miami, taffy from Michigan, etc. None of which are available in any sort of respectable quality here, save maybe the pasta.

And, one day when I leave here to go off on my next adventure, I'll start getting things like triple coconut cream pie, Walla Walla onions, and geoducks.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmm View Post

As for $4 parking that largely doesn't affect me as I avoid driving downtown whenever possible. That amount is also aimed at keeping a space or two free on each block and thus keep commerce and circulation up, and help reduce the number of the circling-for-spaces drivers.
This is the type of poli logic that fails. If you charge $2.50 an hour for parking and there are 100 cars parked on a given block, and then start charging $4 an hour for parking and all of a sudden there are only 83 cars on a block, that doesn't mean that you somehow magically had 120 people swing by, park, shop, and then leave. It means you have less people coming by.

Case in point: I had very easy access to street parking on 1st and Union/University for a trip I had to make to Pike Place this afternoon, which is something I can't recall ever seeing on a Saturday (especially on a sunny day like today). It's not because people were getting in and out of the area faster - it's because they simply weren't bothering. Even with the reduced foot traffic as a result of the renovations, there was a noticeably smaller crowd than usual there today. A downtown restaurant I frequently go to when I'm in the area was also noticeably less crowded.

(And no, I didn't park at one of those spaces, either).

Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 AM

260 posts, read 766,418 times
I love the Seattle, the city itself. However, I almost never hear laughter here. People are serious. If that is you, then you will fit right in.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 AM

56 posts, read 127,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
This is the type of poli logic that fails. If you charge $2.50 an hour for parking and there are 100 cars parked on a given block, and then start charging $4 an hour for parking and all of a sudden there are only 83 cars on a block, that doesn't mean that you somehow magically had 120 people swing by, park, shop, and then leave. It means you have less people coming by.

Case in point: I had very easy access to street parking on 1st and Union/University for a trip I had to make to Pike Place this afternoon, which is something I can't recall ever seeing on a Saturday (especially on a sunny day like today). It's not because people were getting in and out of the area faster - it's because they simply weren't bothering. Even with the reduced foot traffic as a result of the renovations, there was a noticeably smaller crowd than usual there today. A downtown restaurant I frequently go to when I'm in the area was also noticeably less crowded.

(And no, I didn't park at one of those spaces, either).
It has to be a balance...if parking in a, dense, high-demand, highly space & land constricted area (downtown Seattle) is subsidized to the point that it's free or very very cheap, people will consume nearly limitless amounts of the subsidy and use parking for far longer than is necessary, making the situation worse for everyone else. Some will park all day and night, for days at a time. To the point that it once again becomes difficult to find a cheap space, necessitating ever more subsidy.

I appreciate your anecdote, but if I go to Pike Place next Saturday and it's busy and there's no parking, is your point then proven wrong?

Better to price parking at something approaching market rate, and have drivers pay more of their costs and not rely so much on the public. If they're not willing to pay market rate, then switch modes, go somewhere else, or stay home. The people who stay away will be more than replaced by others.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmm View Post
It has to be a balance...if parking in a, dense, high-demand, highly space & land constricted area (downtown Seattle) is subsidized to the point that it's free or very very cheap, people will consume nearly limitless amounts of the subsidy and use parking for far longer than is necessary, making the situation worse for everyone else. Some will park all day and night, for days at a time. To the point that it once again becomes difficult to find a cheap space, necessitating ever more subsidy.

I appreciate your anecdote, but if I go to Pike Place next Saturday and it's busy and there's no parking, is your point then proven wrong?

Better to price parking at something approaching market rate, and have drivers pay more of their costs and not rely so much on the public. If they're not willing to pay market rate, then switch modes, go somewhere else, or stay home. The people who stay away will be more than replaced by others.
There you go with your "subsidized parking" myth....again. Those parking spaces are not subsidized. The streets and meters are paid for already. 2.50 an hour is a reasonable national rate for a metropolitan area.

And there you go with your "the price is approaching market rate". And again with having to point out to you that you're smoking crack or have never left the Seattle area if you think 4 dollars is "approaching market rate", since it's the highest in the entire nation. I can park in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Chicago etc. for less than 4 an hour. There is not a city in the country other than this one that charges that. It's not "market rate".

Sorry, but if you keep repeating lies and faulty logic over and over, it won't make it true. People like you who are in favor of the rate hike have harmed downtown businesses, and are ultimately shooting yourselves in the foot because there will be less income in the form of sales taxes as less people arrive and B&O taxes as businesses shutter up. It's a quickie cash grab initiated by a clueless person who has his priorities all mixed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area