Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times

Advertisements

The 2010 census data is trickling out and showing some pretty remarkable changes in Seattle and the surrounding area over the last 10 years.

Census 2010 | Seattle Times Newspaper

The most interesting thing to me is the sharp decrease in minority populations in the traditionally minority-dominated Central District/Capitol Hill area in Seattle and the huge increases in the outlying suburban areas. Gentrification of the CD is really pushing minorities further and further out into the suburban areas. I also noticed that Tacoma's population has decreased in the last ten years.

Interesting data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
The 2010 census data is trickling out and showing some pretty remarkable changes in Seattle and the surrounding area over the last 10 years.

Census 2010 | Seattle Times Newspaper

The most interesting thing to me is the sharp decrease in minority populations in the traditionally minority-dominated Central District/Capitol Hill area in Seattle and the huge increases in the outlying suburban areas. Gentrification of the CD is really pushing minorities further and further out into the suburban areas. I also noticed that Tacoma's population has decreased in the last ten years.

Interesting data.
Living in the Auburn/Federal Way area as a kid form '92 to '97, there were already a fair number of Asian and some Latin families in there area - some black folks too, but still not a very big population. It still had a tangibly white, lower/working-class majority at the time, and was a mixture of midcentury-to-70's single family houses (don't know what you'd call them - usually a big box with a dug-out driveway and garage and lower floor with a den), or a bungalow or rambler, or cheaper apartments.

To my surprise, when I started dating an Asian-American gal in Seattle, she said that her family had moved from North Seattle to Auburn in the early 00's. When I went to meet her family, they had a large, generic, newer house; everyone on their cu de sac was also Asian-American. When I went around, there were more Asian restuarants and shops than in most of Seattle. I was pretty surprised... the area bore very little resemblance to what I'd recalled from my youth.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Lots of people couldn't afford their first house anywhere else but the CD in the last ten years, when the real estate prices were spiking. There is also less mistrust of minorities as neighbors among Seattle residents, IMO.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
Wow I didn't know Renton had 90,000 people! Way to step it up Renton!

I'm not surprised that minorities outnumber whites in Renton, Tukwila, Seatac and Kent. Those cities have long felt more diverse than Seattle proper. The great thing is that the south end suburbs aren't segregated by ethnicity the way they are in other U.S. cities.

Also looking at the under 18 population in Bellevue, it looks like Asians and East Indians are the future in that city. In the last ten years or so Bellevue has gotten a Vancouver B.C. feel to it. It's good to see the Seattle area growing when so many places are struggling.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I noticed that here in Sammamish the Asian population has increased to
19.3 percent of the current population, compared to just 7.9 in 2000.

We're up to 45,700 people of which about 1/3 are under age 18.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 PM

299 posts, read 666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
Wow I didn't know Renton had 90,000 people! Way to step it up Renton!
That surprises me too. I'll be living in Renton, and it looks and feels like a semi-rural area, at least where I'm going to reside. Beautiful scenery though.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
That surprises me too. I'll be living in Renton, and it looks and feels like a semi-rural area, at least where I'm going to reside. Beautiful scenery though.
Renton's big increase came as a result of the annexation of the Benson Hill area, not so much as a result of people moving in. It is semi rural in a lot of spots. I've got neighbors a few houses down with sheep.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,559 times
Don't forget the northern suburbs. Lots of Russians in Lynnwood in the last few years. And it's kinda of ironic that lots of areas of Capitol Hill are almost exclusively white. Don't mention that to the residents though or their self esteen will be bruised.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Don't forget the northern suburbs. Lots of Russians in Lynnwood in the last few years. And it's kinda of ironic that lots of areas of Capitol Hill are almost exclusively white. Don't mention that to the residents though or their self esteen will be bruised.
Not just Capitol Hill, but Greenlake, Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, and Queen Anne. All neighborhoods full of people who are proud of how diverse Seattle is, but please, would ya keep that diversity in the south end?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Not just Capitol Hill, but Greenlake, Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, and Queen Anne. All neighborhoods full of people who are proud of how diverse Seattle is, but please, would ya keep that diversity in the south end?
Well, at least there is diversity in Ballard, Scandinavian and other whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area