U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,303,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Buses should cost $1 per mile, but they don't.
Now they want to add more fees to the car registration on top of the sales tax we already pay.

The bus system is here unfair.
Were you here when registration ran hundreds of dollars?

$1/mile is cab fare. Absurd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,303,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post
So you want the bus fees to increase? $1 per mile seems pretty expensive.

I know I will ge flamed for this but....

The state should implement Vehicle Inspections.
Inspections for what? There is already emissions testing for the populated counties.

My out of state vehicle required an inpsection when I registered it in 1994.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM

151 posts, read 506,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Inspections for what? There is already emissions testing for the populated counties.

My out of state vehicle required an inpsection when I registered it in 1994.
I am not sure if other states have similar requirements but in TX we had annual inspections that covered emissions and the following:

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old

The cost can vairy between counties, but the most expensive is $39.75.

This would at least fix a lot of the burned out headlights and tail lights I see out there.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/index.htm (broken link)

-Tex

Old 03-08-2011, 05:05 PM

471 posts, read 2,531,746 times
new york state did too...registration was only every 2 years, but inspections were yearly.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM

271 posts, read 1,142,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Were you here when registration ran hundreds of dollars?

$1/mile is cab fare. Absurd.
Nope, I lived in CA where it was much higher though.

People have no problem paying high registration fees IF these fees were spent on the road, but they're not.

$1 per mile cost IS the actual cost of using the bus, its subsidized by tax payers by over 90%.
It is actually cheaper to provide free no extra taxi cabs to everyone who uses the light rail, crazy costs here wasted on badly designed transportation systems.

I think they should raise the cigarette tax as its those people that I see at the bus stops, smoking there illegally of course, and of course littering right after. Its those people who should pay the real cost of taking the bus.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM

7,696 posts, read 14,024,360 times
Quote:
I think they should raise the cigarette tax as its those people that I see at the bus stops, smoking there illegally of course, and of course littering right after. Its those people who should pay the real cost of taking the bus.
We have the 3rd highest cigarette tax rate in the US, behind NY and RI. Somehow, even if we were the 1st, our government will still proclaim that we don't have enough money.

Speaking of the whole budgeting for the public transportation, let compare with other similar sized cities and how much they budget for their system:

- TriMet (Portland) - $233 million;

- DART (Dallas/Fort Worth) - $385 million;

- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System - $100 million; and

- RTID (Denver) - $241 million.

We are paying 1.3 Billion (tax) dollars into the transit system. And apparently that's not even enough that they have to do add another $20 to our tabs. $20 tab increase for Metro transit moves out of Senate

So, no... I personally don't think smokers should be billed extra. We should be encouraging responsible and better fiscal planning and designing system.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM

56 posts, read 116,585 times
Quote:
Nope, I lived in CA where it was much higher though.

People have no problem paying high registration fees IF these fees were spent on the road, but they're not.

$1 per mile cost IS the actual cost of using the bus, its subsidized by tax payers by over 90%.
It is actually cheaper to provide free no extra taxi cabs to everyone who uses the light rail, crazy costs here wasted on badly designed transportation systems.

Then be prepared to pay 3x to 4x compared to what you pay to drive now, because that's how much more cars are subsidized compared to transit.

Course that will never happen, and rightfully so. Transport infrastructure is subsidized no matter the mode--car, bus, train, ferry, plane, whatever--otherwise there'd be no infrastructure. It's part of having a civilization.

Last edited by ryanmm; 03-10-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 AM

56 posts, read 116,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
We have the 3rd highest cigarette tax rate in the US, behind NY and RI. Somehow, even if we were the 1st, our government will still proclaim that we don't have enough money.

Speaking of the whole budgeting for the public transportation, let compare with other similar sized cities and how much they budget for their system:

We are paying 1.3 Billion (tax) dollars into the transit system. And apparently that's not even enough that they have to do add another $20 to our tabs. $20 tab increase for Metro transit moves out of Senate

So, no... I personally don't think smokers should be billed extra. We should be encouraging responsible and better fiscal planning and designing system.
These numbers all seem very low; indeed, the first one I checked is way off. Trimet's 2010 budget was $858 million:

Trimet approves $858M budget for 2011 | Oregon Capitol News (http://oregoncapitolnews.com/blog/2010/06/25/trimet-approves-858m-budget-for-2011/ - broken link)

Given that the Portland metro is about 2/3rds the size of Seattle's, that's roughly comparable spending for a system of good, if not great, quality.

Dallas' 2011 budget is $1.25 billion, down from $1.6 billion in 2010:

http://www.dart.org/debtdocuments/Bu...1-proposed.pdf

That buys them a crummy system (I've personally endured it, and quickly switched to a rental car), due to their lower density and much greater metro population.

I'm not gonna check any more...perhaps you're quoting operating or capital budgets?

Last edited by ryanmm; 03-10-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM

9,638 posts, read 24,760,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Where'd you get this info on transit costs? I can't seem to find it. What I did find was a discussion comparing Portland's TriMet to King County Metro and Sound Transit, and it appears that the Seattle area's operating costs are a little bit higher than Portland's if the service was equal, but that Seattle provides about 50% more transit service. I think the farebox revenues from the typical Metro bus pay for about 25% of the operating costs, and it's far less on the Sounder train:
King County Metro + Sound Transit != TriMet « Transit Sleuth

Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM

73 posts, read 162,126 times
I agree 100% on what bisjoe said. The freeways up here have about the same waits and backup except in major cities (Chi/NY/LA/SF) you have wider freeways with more lanes and here it's like 3 lanes.

Public transit doesn't look that interesting to me...I have a co-worker who takes a metro bus trip from door to door and spends transfer points in the rain and they aren't very punctual from what I gather. I don't know why anyone would want to sit at a bus stop in the rain up here...especially since it gets dark so early...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
When I compare it to the Bay Area where I lived, it's the same backup at about the same times of day, the difference is that here it's 2-3 lanes in each direction rather than 8 like down there.

While there is bus service all over Seattle and into the nearby cities, the frequency is such that your commute can be a lot longer taking it. Where I live in Sammamish, it would take walking or driving a mile to the nearest stop, then with transfers, over two hours to get to work in Seattle. I can drive that in about 35 minutes. To cut it down to under an hour I'd have to drive 20 minutes to a park & ride, may as well drive the last 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area