Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,207 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving out to Seattle this summer. We don't make much money, about $35k between us. We want to live in a safe, walkable community with lots of culture. Not interested in a rich ritzy upper crusty neighborhood, just a nice friendly community. But NOT a ghetto! We want to pay about $800/mo in rent. So where would be a good spot for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:38 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
South Seattle maybe? Columbia City? Some of the less in demand areas is what you'll probably need. Any plans to increase that income? I'm not sure how you plan to live, have kids or retire on income of that level.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 PM

188 posts, read 670,434 times
One of the things I love about this city is that you can get a studio and in many cases a 1 br in every neighborhood in the city for $800. I'd say the more desirable neighborhoods that fit your criteria would be Capitol Hill around 15th Ave, Wallingford, Ballard and Lower Queen Anne. If you were looking for a bit more space for your money, I'd recommend Phinney Ridge, Greenwood, or Roosevelt. The U District is a great deal and tons of fun, but it is absolutely filled with college students, be that what it is. If you're commuting south of the city I'd recommend Columbia City as well.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM

56 posts, read 127,533 times
Why hassle them about income? You may not be sure, but plenty of people can and do live, have kids and retire on those income levels, even in Seattle. Besides, they have 30+ years to build wealth, if that's what they want to do.

Anyway, stay north of the ship canal or south of I-90 and you can find decent, up-to-code 1-bedrooms starting at around $700 in neighborhoods that are still a quick drive or bus ride to downtown, but also still pretty quiet.

North of the canal: Wallingford, Fremont, Ballard, Green Lake area, Ravenna.

South of I90: Beacon Hill and the aforementioned Columbia City. Rainier Valley too, though if you're worried about ghetto that's one with some bad "for Seattle" areas. The RV also has light rail.

Also at 35k for two you might qualify for non-profit mixed-income housing--still market rate/non-section 8, and you'll get more for your money than purely private buildings.

Last edited by ryanmm; 03-19-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
True, but just throwing it out there. It's not an inexpensive city.

One thing that they might want to look for is renting a house with other people. For $800, you could possibly get two rooms, or one large room with walk in closet and bathroom. That's the less expensive way to do things provided you can get along with others.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 64,827 times
If you're looking for interesting and/or occasionally bizarre, I would look into Fremont. Its a fun neighborhood. I used to work down there and knew several people who were renting in the area for less than $1000/month. This was a few years ago, so I can't say what the rent is like there now, though. Its very safe, I used to walk around Fremont at all times of day and night getting to work and never had any trouble.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:50 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
How much room do you need?

$800/month would be difficult in the immediate downtown area, although there are places like Williamsburg Court (Denny Triangle) that can be had. The old brick buildings are a steal, imo. Half the price of the yuppie failed condo-turned-apartment buildings that surround them. If you need more than a small one bedroom or studio, you'll be pushed farther out. I'm not a huge fan of studios for couples. It works for some people, but most people need some space for themselves at times.

http://www.padmapper.com/
PadMapper rocks. Setup filters for the price range and are you want it will email you new listings it finds on the internet.
http://www.hrg.org/
Also worth a look as they tend to be a little nicer than the market-rate buildings in the same price range.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjars View Post
If you're looking for interesting and/or occasionally bizarre, I would look into Fremont. Its a fun neighborhood. I used to work down there and knew several people who were renting in the area for less than $1000/month. This was a few years ago, so I can't say what the rent is like there now, though. Its very safe, I used to walk around Fremont at all times of day and night getting to work and never had any trouble.

You would be hard pressed(impossible?) to find rent in Fremont for $800/month. Also, it has *definitely* become more and more yuppified in the past few years...not nearly as ecclectic/hippy-ish/bohemian as it used to be.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
Oh if you are willing to share a studio, look into the Lowell/Emerson apartments on I believe 8th between Spring and Seneca. The Emerson especially has very large studios (you could potentially separate the bed in the alcove space, huge walk in closet, and eat-in kitchen). It's on First Hill, but far enough away from the hospital, yet very close walking distance to capital hill (plus all of the buses are right there). Easy easy easy walk to downtown as well. Lower Queen Anne might and Capital Hill might be good for some lower priced studios as well (check out craigslist, but as always be careful...all of the city's have spammers on there so don't give any $ until you've seen the place in person).

Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
You would be hard pressed(impossible?) to find rent in Fremont for $800/month. Also, it has *definitely* become more and more yuppified in the past few years...not nearly as ecclectic/hippy-ish/bohemian as it used to be.
Last few? My first trip to Seattle in the summer of 2000 it was already well into gentrification. Condos next Lenin? Yuppie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area