Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times

Advertisements

I am from NC and have an on-site interview at amazon a week from now.

I plan to fly in a day earlier: Need to find a motel/hotel for one night (Saturday). Any pointers on motels/hotels? What areas should I look at?

Nothing fancy but something with free parking and perhaps free breakfast. I'll be renting a car for one day from the airport to check out the area.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Do NOT get a motel that's inexpensive on Aurora Avenue/Highway 99 north
of downtown Seattle. You'll be awakened by the noise of hookers and drug deals.

I'd stick to a known name like Marriott or Holiday Inn, even Best Western in the area near the airport. Downtown and near Amazon there are only expensive hotels frequented by tourists and business people. Those charge for parking.

Since you will have a car you should have no trouble getting to the interview on time, just leave plenty early in case of traffic. If you want to be closer and don't mind paying more, the Marriott Waterfront is really nice at about $200/night.

Seattle Waterfront Hotels | Marriott Waterfront Seattle WA Hotel

Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Where is Amazon putting you up? You might have them call the hotel and see if you can get the corporate rate but on your own dime so that you can get settled in and relaxed prior to your interview. It will be a rigorous day of interviewing to say the least so if you come in having gotten settled that will be to your benefit, esp with the time change. My husband came out of management consulting which is also a rigorous interview process but for his AMZ interviews, he had to be at the top of his game. You will likely meet with at least 5 people or more and all of the opinions matter. That being said, he really enjoys working there and obviously if they are flying you out they are serious about you but we do know a few friends that we thought were slam dunk superstars that didn't get offers.

Also, do you know where you are interviewing? They are still located in several buildings between downtown and South Lake Union. There is a nice Silver Cloud Inn at South Lake Union that I would highly recommend.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times
I am yet to get the amzn building location for the interview.

For Sunday, they have put me up at this hotel:
Courtyard Marriott Lake Union
925 Westlake Avenue North, Seattle Wa 98109

It's about $150 incl taxes so I don't want to spend that kind of money for the previous Saturday night. I'll reach sat by 1pm, pick my rental, look around, spend Saturday night on my tab and then check in Sunday afternoon at the hotel amz provides.

I was looking for 1 day a hotel+car combo deal on expedia etc... I just need to know what area's to avoid. I was thinking of finding something near Bellvue or Tukwila etc... I have no clue of the area. .

Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM

282 posts, read 807,127 times
Good luck on your interview!

As a preface, keep in mind that hotels (and most everything) will be noticeably more expensive out here. The $50.00 to $75.00 a night specials at a nice hotel, with free parking, breakfast, etc. that they often have in your area usually start for at least $100.00 a night here, and definitely up from there if you're wanting to be in downtown Seattle.

Bellevue and the like are across the lake and are more of a suburbia type feel. Bellevue does have a nice downtown, but rates there are likely to be more as well. If you're wanting to go a bit for low-end and stay close to the action, keep in mind you may get something a bit shady. It's possible you can find some specials, you never know. I suggest you contact AMZ and tell them you want to get in a day early and ask them if they have a corporate code you can use to get a discount.

In general, be prepared for a cost increase for almost everything coming from NC. Make sure you do your homework if they extend you an offer to ensure your compensation is appropriate for your level in this area.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:54 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Check out Expedia. They frequently have deals of all sorts, although not usually on Saturday nights. We recently stayed at the Monaco for $100 - in a room that normally goes for $300 and change.

I also second the Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union, before we had our four-legged child it was the defacto location for us. We now tend to use the La Quinta in SeaTac (that area has no Drug Dealer/Prostitution issues)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area