Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM

157 posts, read 217,707 times

Advertisements

I second Mt. Si, although it's kind of touristy IMO. It's about 4.5 miles, including the scramble/haystack at the top (awesome view from the top). Mt. McClellan is good too (much less touristy), and the Mailbox trail (very challenging, as it pretty much is consistently elevating as you go), all on E-90. I would check those out once it's a little warmer.

If you're not insisting on mountainous terrain and want to stay in Seattle area, I highly recommend Discovery park for jogs. I like to run down to the lighthouse, and back up the hill. It's a good hour of running or so depending on your pace. And the views for sunrise/sunset are pretty amazing from here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,524,729 times
Poo Poo Point - also known as the Chirico Trail. Well it's not 5 miles (it's 4) but it's a fantastic hike and it takes off from Issaquah. On a clear day, the views are fantastic.

Tiger Mountain - Poo Poo Point

Old 04-11-2011, 02:19 PM

476 posts, read 1,133,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
If you're not insisting on mountainous terrain and want to stay in Seattle area, I highly recommend Discovery park for jogs. I like to run down to the lighthouse, and back up the hill. It's a good hour of running or so depending on your pace. And the views for sunrise/sunset are pretty amazing from here too.
@rbkoreaus Is Discovery Park paved?

I'm seeking soft running/hiking trails (gravel, dirt, mulch...anything unpaved) around Seattle proper. I believe Greenlake has a gravel footpath adjacent to a paved trail. That's about all I'm aware of.... Just now reading bisjoe's KC map.
Not sure whether it warrants a separate thread, don't mean to hijack this one.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM

476 posts, read 1,133,241 times
Default For the other trail runners/hikers out there...

Well, I answered my own question. Discovery has a gravel 2.8 mile loop with off-shooting trails, some leading to the beach, accessible from both the South (plains view) and North (evergreen view) entrance. There are paved routes available as well.

Always a challenge for me to find decent trail descriptions so I'm sharing this with the other enthusiasts. There's more location specific information here: Five places to run trails in the Seattle area

Discovery Park
Terrain: Seven miles of rolling hills through a former military base, along beaches, high bluffs, forests and meadows. Views across Puget Sound to the Olympic Mountains, with the Cascades' Mount Baker to the north.

Tiger Mountain State Forest
Terrain: More than 80 miles of old logging roads and several miles of single-track dirt trails. A popular place for mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders. Forested trails provide long, steady climbs to views from the summits.

Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park
Terrain: More than 35 miles of running on old mining roads and dirt trails through thick evergreen forests. Hosts an extensive network of lower-elevation trails for year-round running.

Mount Si
Terrain: A quad-busting run, this strenuous, 8-mile round-trip trail gains 3,100 feet in elevation. Runners are rewarded with a sweeping view of the Snoqualmie Valley at the top. Can be crowded; this is a popular hiking spot.

St. Edward State Park
Terrain: Six miles of single-track dirt paths around a partly manicured, partly wild park make this a good place for beginning trail runners. The park lies on the eastern shore of Lake Washington. Run through forests, fields and along the shoreline.

Happy Trails! (sorry, Could. Not. Resist.)

Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 AM

579 posts, read 1,208,105 times
Quote:
I highly recommend Discovery park for jogs. I like to run down to the lighthouse, and back up the hill. It's a good hour of running or so depending on your pace. And the views for sunrise/sunset are pretty amazing from here too.

I was going to say this. We did the walk this week, starting at the visitors center, taking the south trail through the woods to the beach, to the lighthouse, and returning back around the other direction. It was the most beautiful walk I have EVER been on. The environment changed so much in just one trip, from dense dark green moss covered forest, to the open meadows.....you could see bald eagles nesting in the trees...the beach was beautiful and sunny, and the walk back past the ponds there were beautiful views of sailboats, the coast, Seattle skyline and a different kind of tree, more decidious....

I should add it took us 2 and a half hours walking (poor husband held back for me). We don't move there till June and we were in town looking at housing. I thought no problem I can do this....I'm late thirties so relatively young, but have back/knee problems so not in the best shape. It took me an hour at least to get to the light house, and like I said, it was beautiful.......but the walk back up those stairs through the forest beats ANY stair master I've ever been on, and older people in their sixties were flying by me as I was gasping for breath. Everyone was wearing their REI and excersize clothes, some had walking sticks, they were well prepared......I had on jeans and a Dooney and Bourke purse, clearly I was a tourist. Lets just say when I got back to the hotel I slept like a baby. The walk was Tuesday and I am just now able move about without pain.

I can't wait to get there, you guys have the best parks I have ever been to. My goal is to start practicing and eventually do that run in an hour like the rest of you. I've also never seen so many fit, healthy people walking and biking everywhere, it's really enspiring. I highly recommend the Discovery Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area