Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 30,386 times

Advertisements

I will be working in the Kirkland area, but my significant other will be attending UW. We really like the Green Lake/Phinney Ridge, Wallingford, and Fremont areas but I've been reading nightmare stories about the 520 floating bridge in either direction. Which is worse, living in the Fremont area and commuting to Kirkland, or living on the east side and commuting to UW? I guess those are our only two options. So, what kind of traffic/drive times am I looking at coming from either direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Depending on the time of day that commute could range from 25 minutes to well over an hour. The 520 bridge can be totally backed up in both directions for both morning and evening commutes, because while people like me living on the eastside work in Seattle, many also live in Seattle and commute to Microsoft. There will also be an expensive toll on 520 starting in May or June, both directions. If at all possible, which ever way you commute, try to get early hours like 7am-4pm to minimize the commute time.

I live in the middle of Sammamish, and work on the waterfront. It's almost exactly the same distance in miles via 520 and 90. leaving at 6am I can get to work in 25 minutes on either bridge, but coming home at 4pm
I90 is 35 minutes, 520 is 55 minutes. Most of that is congestion in Seattle,
which despite the tunnel construction is still far worse getting to 520.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Well, you might as well avoid the drive for both of you. It makes sense for the person who's going to UW to take the bus, since parking there is extremely expensive. There's fairly good bus service from Kirkland to the U district. Make sure to find a place near a bus stop...or you could drive to the South Kirkland P & R and get a quick bus over.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
AND, to compound your problem you're going to be paying a heavy toll to cross the bridge !!!
Sorry, we can't help you solve your problem because now, commuting in either direction is a nightmare.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-21-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
AND, to compound your problem you're going to be paying a heavy toll to cross the bridge !!!
Sorry, we can't help you solve your problem because now, commuting in either direction is a nightmare. This is all the fault of folks like you for moving up here. It didn't use to be this way.
I wouldn't try to blame the poster. The mess on 520 is largely due to expansion of the Microsoft campus, which despite the traffic mess has brought a lot of jobs to the area that were not here before. Those people are still working, and adding taxes to the state piggy bank which
is getting pretty low these days.

Blame it on our government for allowing the expansion and new home developments without any infrastructure to support it.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
The Northshore area has lots of possibilities, and if your BF is athletic, or wants to be, the Birke-Gilman Trail (that becomes the Sammamish Trail) will easily take him to either UW campus from that area. There are some very nice apartments and condos available near the trail, and the commute to Kirkland from that area is perfect for a job in Kirkland.

Best wishes.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM

24 posts, read 43,574 times
Here are a couple of links that might be helpful, in case you don't have them:

Washington State DOT Travel Times - make sure to check during the times you're likely to travel
King Country Metro Transit

I don't have a lot of personal experience with the routes, though, since I live and work on the Eastside. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,153 times
I live in Beacon Hill and I have worked in Redmond for over 3 years. I recently moved offices to Bellevue.

I have taken the ST545 daily and you need to adjust your timing to NOT get stuck in traffic on 520. Even if you do get stuck in traffic at least you can sit back and relax on the bus. The best times for me were before 8 am and before 5 pm on the ST545.

I just moved to a new office in Bellevue and I now take the ST550. This crosses I90 and is so much faster. I can even take the 9 am bus and NOT get stuck in any traffic. The only time I was stuck in traffic was on the 5:30 pm bus but that is to be expected.

You can always take the ST550 to the Bellevue Transit Center and get on one of the Metro routes to Kirkland.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 AM

34 posts, read 108,554 times
An eastside commute is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone...if I were to pick, I'd much rather live on the eastside and commute that direction but I'm the type that prefers suburb living as opposed to highly congested areas. OP, it would be helpful if you told us when the commuting will take place...

Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 AM

72 posts, read 178,637 times
easter weekend i spent 2 hrs on the 520 sat morning and went all but 20 feet..not kidding..live in kirkland and take the bus to uw..parking in udistrict is 10 - 20 dol/day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area