Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2006, 11:55 PM

7 posts, read 39,538 times

Advertisements

I'm French Canadian, relocating from Montreal to Seattle in less than 2 weeks, to start working at UW and doing my doctorate in Piano Performance there. I'm looking for a house to rent because I want to buy a grandpiano and be able to practice without having neighbor problems. I've been looking online and it looks very difficult to find an affordable, preferably furnished detached house to rent. I found one in Lake Forest Park that looked great. How would that be? Would the commute kill me? How is the area? I don't know Seattle at all, have been there only one day last February for my audition! Thanks for your help!! Or if you have any suggestions to help about different areas or tips to find what I'm looking for... thank you!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 AM

42 posts, read 198,976 times
Congratulations!

Affordability is a big issue in this area. I think Lake Forest Park (LFP) is a nice area. It's an older, established community close to Seattle. And, the commute should be reasonable from there, to the University.

Edmonds, Kenmore, and some parts of Bothell are close to LFP, and would still be a reasonable commute, but it may be more expensive to rent than LFP. Another option is Bellevue. It's across the lake, which means you have to commute over a bridge, but it's not bad to the University and there's lots of bus service. You might find home rental prices in the same range as LFP there too.

Others might be more familiar with rental prices than I am.

Best of luck.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. I was looking into bus commuting but it sounds terrible -- especially because my working hours mean I won't be finished before 10.30pm, 4 nights a week. According to the Trip planners and schedules, means long wait at transfer point and buses running once an hour at nights. I wouldn't get home before 12.15am or so. Not great for a single female walking by herself.
So I was thinking maybe I'd have to buy a car. How much per month would you estimate the cost of a car in Seattle (for this 12 mile or so commute back and forth, 5-6 times a week)? and how much does insurance average -- I have no clue, only know the Canadian costs. If it's all too expensive maybe I'd get a scooter instead!?... The bus sounds like a nightmare, I don't know if I'm right. Is there any night service for people going out late at night like in most cities? Or is it just dead after 12am like in the bus schedules I found? Thank you very much for your help!

Old 08-28-2006, 11:09 PM

454 posts, read 913,516 times
Francou,

If you can get a place in LFP that meets your criteria, nab it!

As for a car, yes, seriously consider getting one. While Seattle is moderately safe for walking around, as a father of a female college student, I would not be comfortable with my little girl walking around and busing that late at night.

If you get an economy car, figure 20 MPG for a 15 mile round trip, 6 times per month would translate into 18 gallons of gas, or about $60 per month. Be aware that seattle is a autocentric city. Once you have a car, you will find you drive around more than just the 15 mile round trip.

Car insurance is something you would need to make a call to an agent in the area (google search would do well). They should be able to get you a cost. Believe me, if you can afford it, do it.

As for a car, you can check our local version of craigslist. (seattle.craigslist) You can get basic transportation for around $2,000.

Keep in touch as you investigate your options. Will be happy to assist in any way I can. CJMom is also a very reliable source for information.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 PM

Thank you both for your help. I decided to "nab" this house in LFP! I'll see once I get there how I cope with the buses, and investigate about getting a car. I'm looking forward to get there (in about a week!) and start my new life on the West Coast! I'll post again if I have other issues. It's great to know that people like you are there to help, for people like me who are coming from outside and don't know anybody or anything yet in the area! Thanks again, Cheers, francou

Old 09-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,766,554 times
This thread is closed. If you want to continue go to :
https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ent-house.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area