Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Proposed monthly payments: $750 rent / $70 insurance / mostly grocery shopping for food
3 - 6 months 3 15.79%
6 - 9 months 2 10.53%
9 - 12 months 8 42.11%
Over 12 months 6 31.58%
Other - explain below. 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 PM

76 posts, read 258,015 times

Advertisements

Really looking forward to being in Seattle next month. I may be able to keep my job and work remotely, which would be nice because then I wouldn't have to slum it and would be able to enjoy the city more when I get there. Thanks to everyone who provided their opinion and voted on the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Why on earth would you relocate somewhere without having a job first. You can likely make it a year, but why would you even do this?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 PM

Adventure and life experiences. I know money is a necessity, but there are many things I value above it.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Why on earth would you relocate somewhere without having a job first. You can likely make it a year, but why would you even do this?
Why on earth would you hinder progressing in your life just to hold on to a job? Money isn't everything.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:42 PM

My company is allowing me to work remotely from Seattle so I should be fine financially speaking. Now I just need to figure how, when, and where.

The responses did give me a better idea of COL so thanks everyone.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM

282 posts, read 806,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibound1 View Post
My company is allowing me to work remotely from Seattle so I should be fine financially speaking. Now I just need to figure how, when, and where.

The responses did give me a better idea of COL so thanks everyone.
Regarding the how, since you have a savings already and since your job will let you work remotely, it seems you need to plan with your boss and agree on a move date. Depending how far the move is, do the math on if it makes sense to:

A) Rent a rental truck (I suggest Penske if you go this route)
B) Rent space in a trailer/pod (I've used ABF's u-pack in the past and really liked it)
C) If you don't own much and/or cheap stuff. Considering selling most of it and use your savings of not having to do A or B to buy new stuff here.

When... really anytime from spring to summer is a great time to move. I do suggest getting here before July 4th simply so that you can enjoy the awesome, albeit it short, summers we have here. Just keep in mind the other 9 to 10 months will be completely opposite.

Where... it all comes down to your budget, lifestyle preference, and location to work. If you think this is a relationship you can keep going for years to come, then you can really live anywhere. If you're not sure, be careful about moving too far out in the boondocks.

Definitely rent before you buy. Not only is it much cheaper to rent than own here, but you need to really know the communities before making a large investment.

Honestly, your major hurdles are out of the way it seems, the rest shouldn't be too hard to work out. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the detailed response, Capo. Initial thoughts:

When
by end of June, but sooner than later.

How
I plan on selling pretty much everything, aside from what I can fit in my car. I don't own a lot of stuff. Friend and I are jumping in my vehicle for an epic warrior road trip and finally really SEE the countryside. We will weave our way through the fabric of land and make amends with American dream.

Where
Right now I'm looking to rent in Lynnwood or similar neighborhood, perhaps a 6 month lease so I can get more familiar with the area. I still need to research the areas to see which one I would fit best into. I'm looking for an area that hopefully has people around my age, diverse crowd, good eats, and decent rent prices.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 AM

304 posts, read 850,919 times
It should last you ten months provided that you rarely buy new clothes, you usually do your own personal care, you limit your traveling to save gas, you avoid parking fees, you turn lights and heating off when you leave a room, you don't own a pet and you eat most of your meals at home.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
You may be able to find a room in someone's house for $400/month, with food and other living expenses, I'd give you 18 months if you spend nothing on
entertainment.
I agree. One year easily, 18 months with limited entertainment.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibound1 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response, Capo. Initial thoughts:

When
by end of June, but sooner than later.

How
I plan on selling pretty much everything, aside from what I can fit in my car. I don't own a lot of stuff. Friend and I are jumping in my vehicle for an epic warrior road trip and finally really SEE the countryside. We will weave our way through the fabric of land and make amends with American dream.

Where
Right now I'm looking to rent in Lynnwood or similar neighborhood, perhaps a 6 month lease so I can get more familiar with the area. I still need to research the areas to see which one I would fit best into. I'm looking for an area that hopefully has people around my age, diverse crowd, good eats, and decent rent prices.
That's funny - I did the same thing last September! I sold and gave away the overwhelming majority of my possessions, and I only brought what I could fit into my car; I just have a few boxes of books and important documents left in Dallas. The road trip from Dallas to Seattle was perhaps the most enjoyable single experience of my life, and it sounds like you also plan on having great fun during your excursion.

My moving/transportation costs were just under $700. I stayed in 5 different hotels, traveled about 2200 miles, and I had to fuel up with premium gas in a car that gets between 24 and 27 mpg on the highway. That's amazingly cheap for a down payment on a new life in a vibrant city like Seattle.

If you have an AAA membership, it is sometimes significantly less expensive to book a hotel directly through the hotel's website rather than using a service like Expedia.com, and you also get to earn points that may net you a free night later down the road. My AAA membership paid for itself during my journey, and I only have to stay one more night in a Wyndham hotel to get my free night (but I don't need to stay in a hotel right now, LOL).

It's a good idea to stay in the Lynnwood/Edmonds/Shoreline area until you get a better feel for Seattle because these areas offer an incredible bang-for-the-buck. Even if you limited your monthly rental budget to $600, you could easily find a room in a newer home with a private bathroom in this area.

There are so many interesting and beautiful neighborhoods in Seattle that it may take a little while for you to narrow down where you ultimately want to live.

The groceries are reasonably priced in Seattle (even compared to inexpensive Dallas), and there are also many farmers markets and fruit stands available.

Unless you have an expensive drug habit, dry-clean your socks and underwear, eat T-bone steaks for breakfast, or soak your feet in $300 bottles of wine, I don't understand how you couldn't make $20,000 last for more than a year in Seattle based on what you have already mentioned. Since you will come with a job already lined up and specialized IT skills (something that no thief can ever take away from you), you are in a great position to move forward with your life here in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area