U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 PM

72 posts, read 191,581 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently looking for a potential position in First street in Downtown Seattle. I am going to start looking for housing options but not sure where to start... I would like to spend around 30 min for my commute...
With 3 kids we are looking for a safe, good school and outdoor area... the ideal wiould be a "master plan community" with a rec center or similar....
Budget around 600 Kusd.

Any zip code or area to look for would eb great and I can strat my search.

Take care.
Pecosbill
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,453,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecosbill View Post
Hello,

I am currently looking for a potential position in First street in Downtown Seattle. I am going to start looking for housing options but not sure where to start... I would like to spend around 30 min for my commute...
With 3 kids we are looking for a safe, good school and outdoor area... the ideal wiould be a "master plan community" with a rec center or similar....
Budget around 600 Kusd.

Any zip code or area to look for would eb great and I can strat my search.

Take care.
Pecosbill
Ugh, Master Plan Communities.

There are many neighborhoods in the city of Seattle that have recreational facilities that are not master planned communities. I would caution against buying in one; those types of housing are harder to sell because of the number of similar dwellings on the market at any given time. Green Lake, Queen Anne and Wallingford would be good places to start. If you want something a little more remote, try Bainbridge Island...your commute will be over water, but you will be able to walk to your office from the ferry (or take a short free bus ride to it).

Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM

23 posts, read 62,952 times
Pecosbill,

I would suggest looking at the Issaquah Highlands. It's a planned community and is just a really scenic area (in my opinion). The community has a number of parks and other areas for kids. I think the commute to downtown during rush hour might be 45 minutes. However, there is a park and ride in the highlands community and you can bus it in.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 PM

127 posts, read 383,958 times
Yeh, the Issaquah highlands express bus service (218) gets you to/from DT (Pioneer Sq) in around 35 mins. There are HOV lanes and transit tunnels so traffic is rarely an issue.
Some people don't like IH that much though, so perhaps you should look at other areas out near Issaquah such as Pine Lake, Klahanie, Sammamish.

All the schools are the Eastside are highly rated, so that's one less issue to constrain your location.

But do look at sites such as Seattle Bubble • local real estate news, statistics, and commentary without the sales spin. before jumping in and buying a property as there is still much on going debate about when we will finally hit the bottom of the Seattle RE market.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM

23 posts, read 62,952 times
Good points Addyladdy. I would also include the Newcastle area. It is just south of Bellevue and much more reasonably priced (in my opinion). It is split into 2 school districts with Issaquah being the better one (Renton the less desirable). We live in the Newcastle Highlands area and really like the neighborhood. Additionally, I think it is fairly easy to get into downtown from Newcastle. I drive into the U-district (north of downtown) and it varies from 35-45 minutes for me. I suppose 30 minutes might be the average time if you are driving in.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,805,486 times
To my knowledge, there aren't any "master planned" communities in the truest sense here because there's so much the area has to offer that entire communities with entertainment, infrastructure, etc. don't have to be built from the ground up like they do in places like Phoenix, where nearby there's a road, some dirt, a couple bushes, and a small hill for a mountain. Here, there's lakes, mountains, forests, deserts, and trails. Biking, hiking, skiing, golfing, fishing, canoeing, river rafting, jogging, camping, etc are all here to name a few things to do here. You don't need some architect with some idea of how things should be.

So ditch the idea of the idyllic white fence neighborhood (good fences make good neighbors! ) ethos and live someplace close to the things you want.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,421,966 times
Well, no Issaquah Highlands is definitely Master planned community. I would consider Redmond Ridge and the nonsense in Canyon Park also to be planned communities.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks for all your replies, I honestly don't know the area so "master Plan community" was more with regards to have an area with kids around, school and markets etc not located 10 miles away... We also generaly enjoy newer constructions... We currently leave in a development in NJ (300 homes) and we enjoy it. I guess for us the most important would be proximity of things and maybe on top a nice scenic view... We love to be outdoor... Again many thanks for your feedback and I will dig into the area that you have kindly provided.
Take care
Pecosbill

Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Just spend some time looking at Sammamish, looks promissing
We would rent when arriving but we will buy within a year (relo incentives) so important to pick up an area that we can rent and buy without changing the kids school...
Cheers
Pecosbill

Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,562,491 times
I have to put in my vote for Issaquah Highlands. We lived there for 3 years, and want to go back. It has everything you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area