Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 28,020 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking here for a while and appreciate everyone's thoughtful advice to others. I'm moving to Seattle in 3 weeks, with my husband and our 2 cats to follow once our house sells. Initially I'll be living in furnished corporate housing but hope to find a new home for us to either buy or rent within the next 2 months. We currently live in Belmont, MA and are used to a high cost of living area. I'm particularly looking for some advice on areas we should consider and things we should check out to get to know the area.

We'll both be working in downtown Seattle -- myself in the South Lake Union area and my husband is considering a position a few blocks from Gas Works Park. We'd like a quiet, friendly, safe, semi-walkable (although quiet is more important than walkable) neighborhood with as reasonable/low-stress a commute as possible given where we'll be working. We're considering commuting via bicycle or public transit.

Our budget is around $600K to buy a place or ~$3000/month rent. We're planning to look for 3+ bedrooms. It seems like Magnolia, Greenlake, and Mercer Island would be good locations to consider. However, there are seemingly so many neighborhoods that I've only seen on a map. Do you have suggestions on some in particular to add to my list to explore once I'm there? We both enjoy running and biking (road and MTB) so proximity to running/biking trails would be nice.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Mercer Island, Magnolia, and Greenlake are all good choices.
You're not going to get a lot of house on Mercer Island for 600 thousand. , but you could probably rent something nice there for 3000 a month.
Other neighborhoods you might consider:
Wallingford. The area near Gas Works Park is nice, quiet( except on July 4th), has cool old houses, and has that walkability thing. A reasonable walk to Voula's Offshore Cafe, the best omelets in Seattle.

Madison Valley/Madison Park/North Capitol Hill:
Nearby trails in the woods, big trees in the neighborhood. Pleasant shopping and dining.

Top of Queen Anne:
It just feels good being in that neighborhood. Stable, established nice neighborhood.

West Seattle( Lincoln Park):
You want quiet? Nice views of Puget Sound and the Olympic mountains, big trees, a little further from work but not insanely long...for some reason West Seattle always looks a little brighter to me than other parts of the city, and that's important in a place that sees a lot of clouds.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks Ira500! I've looked online at most of the areas you mentioned but I hadn't considered West Seattle -- it seems really nice. I'll have to check it out once I arrive. I'm also enjoying the "favorite neighborhoods" post.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:30 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
'Running and biking': You should look for a place near the Burke Gilman Trail. That would be Fremont, Wallingford, University District, Ravenna, View Ridge, Matthews Beach and Sandpoint.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Looking near the Burke Gilman Trail sounds like a great suggestion, I appreciate it Vinylly. We currently live near a commuter bike trail that I enjoy taking to work in warm weather.

Another question -- I've read a lot about the tight rental market. Is there anything available to rent month-to-month? How do other people manage finding a place to live while hunting for a place to buy? Get a lease then break it/sublet it or keep living in temporary extended-stay housing?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanddancer View Post
Looking near the Burke Gilman Trail sounds like a great suggestion, I appreciate it Vinylly. We currently live near a commuter bike trail that I enjoy taking to work in warm weather.

Another question -- I've read a lot about the tight rental market. Is there anything available to rent month-to-month? How do other people manage finding a place to live while hunting for a place to buy? Get a lease then break it/sublet it or keep living in temporary extended-stay housing?
Every once in a while you can find homes available for short term rental, like three months. Some people choose to sign six month leases, and fully expect to live there the whole time, with the expectation that home prices will be lower six months down the road...And then there are people who decide that they're going to spend a couple of days looking for a house and just find one.
I think the easiest and maybe least stressful way would be to keep living in extended stay housing.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
I'll speak up for my favorite running/biking neighborhood (of course, I live there so am biased) - the Seward Park area. Uncrowded running along the shore of Lake Washington ... biking along same. Road is closed every Sunday to allow only bicycle/pedestrian traffic. Nice homes, close to Columbia City. And bike/bus commuting to your job is very doable.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 PM

Hi tobester! I'll definitely check out Seward Park when I get there in a few weeks. Ira500 -- I appreciate the insight.

Between moving and exploring all the great neighborhoods pointed out to me, I have my work cut out for me. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area