Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM

83 posts, read 87,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I didn't suggest you buy a cheaply made DVD. You can decide to invest a little more to buy a well-made DVD.

In any case, this is a good first step to learn about a city before deciding if you should spend thousands of dollars visiting a place. I and many other people use this approach.

People's posts on this and similar forums help, although, very often, posts are so contradicting each other, it can be confusing to make much sense out of them.

Honestly, I know Seattle pretty well, but, in this case, don't know what advice to give. Is Seattle a must-see city in the US? I don't know. If you only want density, maybe don't spend your money on Seattle. Otherwise, Seattle offers many other things, which, reading your first post, you may be not particularly interested in. Simply because Seattle offers at least as much outside of the city as in the city limits.

I didn't intend to harass you with the DVD thing, though. Sorry, if it came that way.
Thanks for this post.

I watch travel shows and the travel channel religiously. If I'm watching TV then it stays on the travel channel. They just very rarely go to Seattle. Seems like the only cities featured on the west coast for travel are LA, SF and Vegas. Anthony Bordain No Reservations went there once but he did a whole episode on the pacific northwest as one, not just one hour alone on Seattle. I rewatched this episiode, but it did not help much. Do you know of any good shows or dvds on Seattle? Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Last edited by anp80; 05-10-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
I would consider San Francisco and Vancouver B.C. more as 'must see' cities then Seattle. San Francisco because it's more 'urban' and interesting, Vancouver because it's more 'urban' and perhaps one of the five or six most beautiful cities in the world.
I have already been to SF.

When coming out to Seattle I was planning on a combo vacation between Seattle and Vancouver in one. I enjoyed this post because you were comparing Seattle to other cities. Thanks for your post.

Last edited by anp80; 05-10-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp80 View Post
I have already been to SF. When coming out to Seattle I was planning
on a combo vacation between Seattle and Vancouver in one. I enjoyed this post because you were comparing Seattle to other cities. Thanks for your post.
Yes, I think Vancouver and Seattle in one combo will do. Even Vancouver alone will do. Vancouver is not in the US, though. Start with Seattle and plan to spend two days in Vancouver for each day spent in Seattle. Especially considering that you're looking for density and urbanity.

In general, it looks to me as if Seattle was not made "for tourists". I can't think of almost anything in Seattle I can consider being a tourist destination. Don't understand me wrong: Seattle is a nice city. It's just not a touristy in the way NYC, SF or Vancouver is. Which is not a bad thing, of course.

Of course, locals will tell you about Pike Place market, Space Needle and Seattle Center and so on. Well, I don't know... I'll stop right there, I think, otherwise, NUB aka ThePPF will get too hard on me.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 05-10-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM

217 posts, read 561,446 times
Quote:
Do you know of any good shows or dvds on Seattle? Thanks for posting your thoughts.
Why buy a cheap DVD when youtube.com is at your fingertips?

Seattle Drive-by (Interstate 5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RNL7Me0Oo8&feature=related

Broadway - Seattle

YouTube - Broadway - Seattle

Ballard - Seattle

YouTube - Ballard - Seattle

Solstice Parade @ Fremont

YouTube - Solstice Parade @ Fremont

Downtown Seattle - Pioneer Square - Transit Tunnel

YouTube - Downtown Seattle - Pioneer Square - Bus Tunnel - Streetcars

Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM

^ thanks, I will watch those videos. I have already done every street in the downtown happening area on google maps.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I went to Seattle for the first time this year, at New Years when it was insanely cold.

I had a great time. I really liked the city, and there was seemingly a lot to do and see. It felt a lot different than visiting NYC, and that was a good thing.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Also, yes, I do find Seattle to have many similarities to San Francisco and know many people that agree. I am surprised by some that think they are so completely different.
Funny, I lived in San Francisco for about 18 years before moving up here to Port Townsend, and I don't think Seattle and SF are all that similar. They're perhaps more similar than other large cities are to each other, though, so perhaps that's what people mean. And many of my friends from SF have relocated to Seattle, so there must be something about Seattle that appeals to them the same way SF did.

Hmm, the more I comment, the more I think maybe I need to re-think my opinion.

At any rate, I love both cities. I think Seattle is a lot cleaner, though. Whenever I've spent time downtown the streets aren't full of trash the way Market St. in SF is. If I wanted to live in a large city again, I'd definitely choose Seattle this time.

As far as it being a "must see" city, that's hard to answer for someone else.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM

299 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I do think Seattle is a must see city in the USA. One of the nicest urban meets nature places in the USA with great urban and nature scenery mix. The third nicest skyline in the USA. It has lots of nice urban amenities. Lots of great cultural events. Many other things to enjoy about it too that I can go more into specifics about.

Also when you visit Seattle, try to go when sunny weather conditions are expected but then again this is true about most places where it is just better to visit a place when it has sunny dry weather.

Actually, I know so many New Yorkers that were lmpressed by their visits to Seattle and you know how a lot of New Yorkers can have such high standards when they visit places.

Actually, Seattle is 4th or 5th on my list after New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Washington DC.

Also, yes, I do find Seattle to have many similarities to San Francisco and know many people that agree. I am surprised by some that think they are so completely different.

Other than New York City, Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, and Boston there are other must see cities and places in the USA.
Of all the postings on this topic that speak the truth yours is the best by far. Anyone that hasn't had the opportunity to visit the emerald city and its surroundings is missing out on so much. Seattle has just about anything a tourist could want - urban city scape with tons of activity and the beauty of the mountains and lush green forests close by for the outdoors types. There are some similarities to San Francisco but I think Seattle area is more reasonably priced - I know some people will laugh at that but the bay area is very expensive. Seattle has nearly everything San Francisco could offer but the metro area is smaller, friendlier and easier to get around I think. The bay area is too big and congested.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM

299 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
I was thinking about visiting Seattle for a vacation. I have already seen every city on my lists that was desirable, but Seattle is that one city I can't make up my mind on.

I prefer extremely urban cities such as: DC, NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF.....basicly urban canyons and high density.

I was wondering if you believe Seattle is a must see city? Am I missing out on anything extremely special by not seeing Seattle?

I just don't want to spend my hard earned money and be disappointed in a city.

Any info you can give me or questions you need to ask me to help steer me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Seems like most everyone has chimed in but I want to add that I'm a newbie to the Seattle area and am not disappointed in my decision to move here. There is so much to see and do in and around the city- for visitors and residents alike. You would be missing out on so much culture and beauty by not coming here. Sure, you can go to the hot tourist spots like Las Vegas, Disneyland, Florida, Grand Canyon and all that if you want to fight the crowds but why bother? Seattle is 1 of the most beautiful cities in the country. You won't be disappointed. Some people don't like the climate- we get a lot of gray skies, drizzle, and rain in the fall and winter, and even well into the spring sometimes, but if you like sunny weather better it would be best to hold off until summer.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Seattle is a beautiful city and you would miss out if you didn't visit. The unique combination of mountains, water, forests and vibrant downtown make Seattle a must-visit destination. Downtown, you have excellent restaurants that serve wonderful local seafood like Dungeness crab and salmon(there are many sites devoted to ranking them), Pike Place Market, shopping, and access to a ferry that will take you across the sound and bring you back to a view you won't soon forget. Pioneer Square or Belltown for nightlife, or check out a neighborhood like Capitol Hill or Fremont (Seattle resembles SF when it comes to districts/neighborhoods). When it's clear, you can see Mt. Rainier to the southeast.

I've been to every city that has its own pro sports team, and Seattle is one of my favorites.
As usual, alohahuey takes the words right out of my post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area