U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,930 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Seattle at the end of June for a 12 month project. My work will actually occur in Bremerton, but I am going to live in Seattle and take the ferry over to Bremerton. I recently went to Seattle for the weekend to get an idea of what life may be like over there. For the 72 hours that I was there, I seemed to enjoy it and could see myself happy there.

I need advice on where to live. I am a 33 year old single woman and moving from the east coast to the west coast is a very drastic change for me. I don't want to live in an area where all the fresh-faced college graduates hang out and believe getting drunk is a good time, yet I don't want to live in an area with mostly families. Where do all the young, single professionals live? I'm thinking the age range between late 20s to mid 30s. Also, where are the "safe" neighborhoods? I don't know anyone in Seattle (aside from my new coworkers) and I'm flying a bit "blind" in terms of where to live and where the social crowd goes to hang out for those of us who are "stuck in the middle" between college days and family days.

Ideally, I would like to live in the city so that I can just walk to the ferry or take a no-transfer bus ride to the ferry docks. My prefered price range for a 1-bedroom condo is between 900 to 1200 per month. Should I bring my car too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,358 posts, read 66,135,624 times
For a year you can manage without a car. Ballard, Wallingford and Greenlake
are probably the best areas for you, but a little far from the ferry. Lower Queen Anne and Belltown are within a walk, bike or short bus ride. Queen Anne is more expensive and older, Belltown a little younger, and less safe at bar closing time.

There are really nice condos/apartments on the waterfront within a half mile of the ferry but not in your price range.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,760,256 times
The Bremerton ferry takes about an hour each way. The further you live from the terminal the more time you'll spend on your commute, especially if you are getting there by bus. Bus service isn't quite as good on the Kitsap side, so you'll have that part of your commute to deal with as well.

Are you sure you don't want to just live in Bremerton for the short year that you are here? You'd still be a ferry ride away from all that Seattle has to offer, but you'll actually have time to enjoy the area instead of spending 4 hours a day getting to and from work. There are lots of nice places to live on the west side of the Sound.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM

543 posts, read 1,402,580 times
I'm in my 30s and just moved from Seattle to NYC with my husband last fall. I had lived there for 12 years after moving from northern VA (Alexandria)....so I have experienced what you are about to embark on.

We lived in Fremont for the last 7 years and loved it (we don't have kids). Great access to public transportation; you can get to the waterfront door to door in about 20 minutes (26, 28 or 17; 5 gets you downtown as well but not as close.

I personally would NOT want to live in Belltown just based on what it has evolved to but that's just me. Lower Queen Anne could be great, too. Maybe get a bike for the nicer weather days? Capital Hill can be really great, too; just not ON or right off of one of the main roads. I had lots of single friends my age who lived up there and loved it.

I personally would not want to live on the Bremerton side and I think you are smart to be looking for an area you would like in Seattle. You can always read, get ready for work, eat, etc on the ferry. They even have hair dryers in the women's restrooms. Living on that side would leave you with limited options when you might want to stay out at night in Seattle....I speak from the experience of knowing people that lived over there and it being an issue for them.

Good luck...I do think you will like it, we certainly did, although we are very happy in nyc now. Definitely very different areas and energy (east/west coast).

Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 PM

19 posts, read 37,459 times
Harbor Steps apts have large studios for 1200 or less

Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 AM

236 posts, read 388,540 times
I'm a little late to this thread so you're almost in Seattle now probably.

I would reconsider bringing your car or at least plan to rent one on a regular basis to explore the area. Seattle is nice but it's a big city. The areas that you can get to from Seattle are amazing. A few that come to mind, driving the Oregon Coast to California; amazing and, of course, you don't have to drive all the way to California. Mt. Saint Helens, Mt Ranier, Mt Hood, Olympic Penn, San Juan Islands, Hood River Scenic Drive, Vancouver, Vancouver Island, just too name a few, as there are too many to list all.

If it was me, I would probably not want a multi hour commute everyday but you seem quite firm on that. Start taking vitamin D3 now, most health professionals recommend 5,000IU every day even in the summer.

Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM

7,751 posts, read 14,658,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
I'm a little late to this thread so you're almost in Seattle now probably.

I would reconsider bringing your car or at least plan to rent one on a regular basis to explore the area. Seattle is nice but it's a big city. The areas that you can get to from Seattle are amazing. A few that come to mind, driving the Oregon Coast to California; amazing and, of course, you don't have to drive all the way to California. Mt. Saint Helens, Mt Ranier, Mt Hood, Olympic Penn, San Juan Islands, Hood River Scenic Drive, Vancouver, Vancouver Island, just too name a few, as there are too many to list all.

Good Luck!
OP could always use Zipcar for exploration. Having a car while living in DT Seattle is simply an additional and maybe unnecessary burden.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM

19 posts, read 37,459 times
Yep, parking in downtown is ~$200/month
I once could not start my car because it was sitting idle for too long and battery died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area