Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreentori View Post
Are there areas in Bellevue with good schools and good access to Seattle that I could rent a decent place for $1500 or less? Mercer Island would certainly improve my commute but I just feel like it is SO far out of my price range.

Do you really think a commute from North Seattle (Green Lake for example) or even Shoreline would be longer than from Issaquah?

Thanks!
Shoreline is about 8 miles closer to Seattle but you could still spend some 40 mins on i5. Traffic to Issaquah is a lot more flowing and soothing (given the nature you see on the way). Another thing to think about: i90 could perhaps get clogged with people who are trying to bypass the 520 bridge... but the living in North Seattle option might not be better as people can simply go up i5 and go around to i405 or use the route 522 (then the N. Seattleites will get annoyed, start using hwy 99, which then crowds up as well). People will try to find a short cut anyway they can.

To answer your questions, yes... there are places in Bellevue you could rent for less than 15oo/mo. Check out Craigslist (I just looked into it, there's even a Mercer Island listing for less than 15oo/mo). Look into Newcastle as well.

Have you checked Madison Park? They have those apartments on the water... my friend rents an apartment @ the Edgewater apartments, a 2bdrm for less than 14oo/mo (free parking too!). I know you're wary about SPS, but MP has the very highly rated McGilvra elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
How about West Seattle?
A pretty easy commute to Beacon Hill, some nice cool, urban, hip, friendly neighborhoods with views, and some good elementary schools, namely Alki, Schmitz Park, and Lafayette.

But as I have mentioned, I'm not a fan of the Seattle Public schools. I am a veteran of surviving three kids through the Seattle Public Schools. There are some really good schools within the Seattle district, but navigating the Seattle school district requires vigilance. Other districts like Bellevue, or Issaquah are more consistently trustworthy, but Seattle you have to be on your toes. It's almost as if the thinking at the school district headquarters goes something like " Hey, this school is doing really well. Kids like it, parents are involved, test scores are high. How 'bout we fire the principal and transfer some teachers to different schools? Or maybe we should just close the school since it's too successful?"
Fortunately, in a lot of neighborhoods the parents are really involved and well organized, so they successfully fight the school district and keep those schools really good, but you shouldn't have to?
Other districts recognize that they have a good thing going and let it do it's thing. In Seattle too often some mad scientist is at the reins, or too much political stuff plays a part that doesn't enhance the education of most students.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
As a veteran of five kids through the SPS (with a couple private school detours), I agree totally with Ira ... without diligence on parents part, there is little hope. Our kids elementary went through exactly the steps he outlined - move the principal causing the teachers to leave and things go downhill.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
You are living on a school teacher's salary and there are lots of school teacher's living in Seattle. Homes on Beacon Hill are probably less expensive then in Issaquah, plus your living expenses will be less because you will have eliminated the commuting cost. Just don't expect to live as high on the hog as a Microsoft employee and you'll do OK. Just forget about living in Mt. Baker, Capital Hill, Queen Anne or Madrona and Madison Beach.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM

64 posts, read 216,210 times
I really don't want to live in Beacon Hill as a single mom with a little boy. I actually really like the area, but wouldn't feel safe and the public schools there are not so great. I am not even thinking of buying on my salary anyway, unfortunately. I do like West Seattle and it is close to Beacon Hill. I am confused about the "good" schools in SPS - why would SPS fire the principal and transfer teachers? Don't they want to have good schools? Yes, the idea of navigating SPS is worrisome. In the back of my mind I know that your child's education is only as good as the teacher they have (I have a friend in Issaquah who seems to have a terrible kindergarten teacher for her daughter), but things seem like more of a gamble in general with SPS. I don't know.

Inkpoe - I will check out the apartments you mentioned. I do like Madison Park - I was just there for the 1st time last month.

Thanks for all the input - all of it has been helpful as I roll the idea of moving around in my mind. It really is so much more complicated with kids involved!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 PM

64 posts, read 216,210 times
What areas of Bellevue would I look in for a shorter commute to Beacon Hills/Seattle? There are so many rentals that it is confusing and Bellevue is pretty big. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area