U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM

72 posts, read 191,858 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

Time to move to seatlle in a few months... We have been loking at new constructions in the area of Issaquah, sammamish...
We are familiar with the builder from the East coast but have no clue about the one we saw on the west coast in Seattle.

Would be nice to have some feedback on the reputation, quality of finishing, quality of material, good and bad stories with the one who are currently building...

- Murray Franklyn
- Burnstead
- W. Buchan

Thanks
Pecosbill
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,427 posts, read 70,717,185 times
All 3 of those men tioned have been around a long time and have a reputation for doing good quality work.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM

9,638 posts, read 26,087,063 times
I agree with bisjoe. Those are all builders with good reputations.
Do note, however, that there is also W. Buchan's brother John, who also builds quality homes, but is in financial trouble. William the younger brother was smart and didn't overextend himself, where John the older brother borrowed heavily and went more upscale, and is now left with a lot of homes he's not able to make payments on. Bank Of America has started foreclosure proceedings against him on 46 properties.
I recently was in an older Burnstead home, and it definitely stood the test of time. Very solid, good quality, even 35 years later.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 23,001 times
I have rented other builders in the Seattle and East side. I now own a William Buchan. I call it my Billy Buchan home and it has stood the test of time. I'm an engineer so I'm anal.

I have to say the quality is top notch and it is over (1991) 21 years old. Maybe things where made in USA back then or maybe it was the construction crew. When we do upgrades throughout the home, the little things are done right behind walls and underground that stand through to me.

Top notch quality inside and outside and generally higher resell value.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,215,200 times
I dont know about the good ones, but stay away from quadrant, dr horton, and polygon northwest. I have friends that had homes built by them, and the quality really sucks, its like living in an apartment, but your in a house that is 8 feet from your neighbor.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 AM

1,628 posts, read 6,560,473 times
Connor and CamWest (now owned by Toll Brothers) also have good reputations and projects in that area.

I'm a fan of the Burnstead also. Ira, is one of the Burnstead brothers a little more upscale than the other also? Kinda seems like it, but all Burnsteads are nice.

We're considering a new home from American Classic Homes right now - anyone have experience/opinions on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecosbill View Post
Dear all,

Time to move to seatlle in a few months... We have been loking at new constructions in the area of Issaquah, sammamish...
We are familiar with the builder from the East coast but have no clue about the one we saw on the west coast in Seattle.

Would be nice to have some feedback on the reputation, quality of finishing, quality of material, good and bad stories with the one who are currently building...

- Murray Franklyn
- Burnstead
- W. Buchan

Thanks
Pecosbill

Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM

370 posts, read 1,020,386 times
Default Murray Franklyn

I am living in a Murray Franklyn home. Solid, no creaks and or other noises. The nice thing about buying now is the influx of the national builders who have cash and have bought prepared lots. I have friends who lived in Pulte homes and I have been looking at Toll Brothers homes too. Schnieder homes also builds a good product. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM

1,920 posts, read 3,646,219 times
Roger MacPherson Construction & Design has some nice homes in Sammamish.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 56,592 times
I owned a new Murray Franklyn built in 2006 and it was the biggest piece of crap house I had ever bought! Buyer beware!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,989 times
Default Murray Franklyn homes - Greystone

Buyers beware of the quality of Murray Franklyn homes. They are not worth even half of what they are listed at based on their quality. The quality of construction is very poor. We just bought one in Redmond 98052 Greystone area a few months ago, there are problems in every part of the home. I am not sure how they are even passing inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area