U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,473,139 times

Advertisements

This is insane! Seattle this past week is on steroids. I have never seen such a change in a city. I need to find someone who will take me out on his/her yacht or boat in return for some kind of work or payment. How expensive is it to rent your own boat for a month and do they require a license to operate it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,140,265 times
What kind of boat are you looking for and do you want to go out on Lake Washington or on the Sound?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 PM

No idea...something at the cheaper end. I can swim well, but never operated a boat before. Probably best if I work at the docks part-time first if I can get a job:-)

Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM

19 posts, read 37,466 times
look into sailing meetups at www.meetup.com, you might get a free ride and meet cool ppls

Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Well, if you want to sail, you could go to Center for Wooden Boats. They often give free rides on weekends. Lessons to sail are really inexpensive and sometimes free, depending on the day.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,369 posts, read 66,152,660 times
The state does now require a boating safety card, sort of a drivers license.

Rentals are not cheap except for the canoes and rowboats available at the
University of Washington and those don't require the card. As I recall that's only for 15hp or more power boats.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,935,901 times
Step #1: If you are interesting in boating you can do a Google Search on yachting or buy the Yachting magazine on the magazine racks. Decide if you want a motor yacht or a sailing yacht and how large of a yacht you want.
Step #2: Rent a small boat for a few hours on Lake Washington. This is safe and won't cost you much. As you get yourself more adapted to boating then you will get an idea of what you want.
There are many used yachts for sale on every public dock. You should by this time have an idea as to what you want.
Step #3: As you hang around on the docks you will get acquinted with some yachters. If they are members of a local yachting club and they like you then they could recommend you for membership if you request it. Many of these clubs provide sailing or safe boating lessons.
Step #4: Be prepared for countless weekend hours and money working on your yacht, cleaning and keeping it up to ship-shape. Of course, if you are a millionaire you can afford to have somebody else do the dirty work.
This is how I got into yachting: As a youth, we had a private lake on our farm and we had a nice boat. When I moved to Seattle after graduating, I was still interesting in boating.
The principal of the school where I taught was an avid yachter and belonged to the local yacht club. When the club had events, like the opening of the yacht season, or races in the sound, he always asked for me to help as a crewman. Since I hung around on the docks a lot I could see which yachts were sale, so I picked up a nice little sale-boat.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Boating safety cards get phased in depending on your age. And you have a certain amount of time to get them although some rental places may require them. If you want to buzz around on a small ski boat, you can rent at a few places, one being Carillon Point on Lake WA near Kirkland. On Tuesday nights there is a Duck Dodge sailboat race that is pretty laid back where people need crew. And down at Leschi on Wednesday nights are more sailboat races...but you'd like need some experience for those. Again, Center for Wooden Boats is an option and also hanging out at a few marinas might get you a ride...Bell Harbor, Magnolia, Elliott Bay.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Okay thanks for the advice. Considering the very few months where you can sail in Seattle, I am definitely not planning to buy a yacht or boat. Will try to rent one or go on a Meetup event.

Is the water warm enough to swim in (if you fall out of the boat) right now? It seems like one would still die from cold if one tried to swim for more than 10 mins or so at the momernt. We are in Spring right now and not summer based on the temperature.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:44 PM

My husband raced in a Thistle fleet for a while and they capsized a few times in rough conditions in April. It was pretty darn cold but he was okay. We took our boat up to Poulsbo yesterday and our nav system said it was 59 degrees in the water. Here's a chart on how long it takes for hypothermia to set in...

Hypothermia Prevention: Survial in Cold Water | Minnesota Sea Grant

I have already seen kids in Lake Sammamish tubing without wet suits as of a few weeks ago. You could also try the Neptune Sailing Club. Great rates for rental and club fees with really nice boats.

Would also recommend Sail SandPoint at Magnuson Park. You can get really inexpensive lessons there (it's a non-profit) and they have fun little boats to buzz about on.

I highly encourage you to get out on the water. It's one of the best things about living here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area