Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 PM

54 posts, read 68,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Pittsburg must be quite a bit cheaper than Seattle. There's no way in hell you're going to find a decent place that's $800 for four bedrooms. Not in the city of Seattle at least unless they want to be living in a poor neighborhood in south Seattle.

They'll wanna be in a young neighborhood like the U district and i'd expect the four guys to pay around $400-$500 each in that area but I've never lived in the u district.
Significantly cheaper. The median price to buy a home in Pittsburgh is about $115,000. My parents live on the eastern side of the state, its the same thing there. Its insane - you could own a single family home with mortgage, insurance and taxes for about $700 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
$800 for a two-bedroom will be hard. $1000-$1200+ is more realistic.
That's a good range. $1000 is $250, that's the $200 range. LOL Anything under $400 is realistic since I will be supplimenting.

His goal is to keep it as low as possilbe so he can afford to have as much fun as possible when he's not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Service level jobs seem to be available in Seattle, per my wandering eyes this week.
Great! Since they're still "finding themselves" that's the type of work they will be doing.

My son graduated high school with an associate's degree. He wants to take time off to figure out what he wants to do.

Quote:
Pittsburg must be quite a bit cheaper than Seattle.
I'm quite aware that I live in one of the country's best kept secrets.

It's way cheaper! Four of them could get by for $100 to $150 each here!

Quote:
There's no way in hell you're going to find a decent place that's $800 for four bedrooms.
4 bedrooms? LOL

I said 2 bedrooms!

Quote:
Not in the city of Seattle at least unless they want to be living in a poor neighborhood in south Seattle.
Why wouldn't they want to live in a poor neighborhood? They're poor themselves!

These kids are not snobs. As I said, they're very capable of slumming it.

They'll want to live as cheaply as possible so they can have money to enjoy the experience.

Quote:
They'll wanna be in a young neighborhood like the U district and i'd expect the four guys to pay around $400-$500 each in that area but I've never lived in the u district.
Is that the professional "young neighborhood?" If so, that's not where they want to be.

They'd want to be in the poor neighborhood where the artists live, not the last neighborhood the artist gentrified to the point the artists couldn't afford it.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSF View Post
Significantly cheaper. The median price to buy a home in Pittsburgh is about $115,000. My parents live on the eastern side of the state, its the same thing there. Its insane - you could own a single family home with mortgage, insurance and taxes for about $700 a month.
You got it. My first mortgage (including insurance and taxes) is less than $600. That's how I can afford to send my kid to Seattle to "find himself!" LOL

It is more expensive on the eastern side of the state though, especially around Philly. But even the rural areas are becoming more expensive becuase it's starting to become the suburbs for DC, Baltimore, NJ and NYC. Everyone is jumping the border over there to take advantage of the lower cost of living. Fortunately for us in the western side, there is nobody nearby to want to jump the border so our property values will remain stable.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 PM

54 posts, read 68,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You got it. My first mortgage (including insurance and taxes) is less than $600. That's how I can afford to send my kid to Seattle to "find himself!" LOL

It is more expensive on the eastern side of the state though, especially around Philly. But even the rural areas are becoming more expensive becuase it's starting to become the suburbs for DC, Baltimore, NJ and NYC. Everyone is jumping the border over there to take advantage of the lower cost of living. Fortunately for us in the western side, there is nobody nearby to want to jump the border so our property values will remain stable.
My parents live in near Allentown, PA. Makes me think about taking my Bay Area California income and using it to buy investment rental property back home. If only to generate some cash flow out of my savings.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSF View Post
My parents live in near Allentown, PA. Makes me think about taking my Bay Area California income and using it to buy investment rental property back home. If only to generate some cash flow out of my savings.
That's not a bad idea if there's a commuter train going to NYC because everyone is leaving New Jersey and Long Island for eastern PA.

You'll have to research the rental situation there. It's my understanding that people are cashing in their high priced real estate and buying in eastern PA. Those who don't own real estate in the expensive areas are moving to PA so they can afford to buy. As a result, I'm not sure how much of a high demand there is for rental property from newcomers, but you can easily generate some cash flow renting to locals, just not sure how much.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Its quite possible to get by here w/o a car... it's just best to live closer to Seattle to do so. My husband's friend rents a house for about 1800/mo in West Seattle and has 4-6 roommates -- it's definitely a good fun life. Your son and his friends will have a lot of fun interesting experiences.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
Banks? What are you Bill Gates or something? Use credit unions and avoid the fees.

Quote:
Ahh, why is mommy sending her son here. I take it you're a single mother. He wants to move out on his own. He should be taking the responsibility here and the expectation should be that he's paying you back every cent. He's 19 and not a child.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Mothers like to do things for their sons, noexcuse. Families should work together, just as societies should work together.

Public transportation is fine, it's very expensive to keep and park a car in Seattle.

Bank of America works well for transferring funds through online banking, in my experience. I don't know if it's any different for other banks.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks, Woof! I'll definitely check out Bank of America!

(LMAO @ noexuse projecting innaccurate assumptions that couldn't be more off-target on every point.)

Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
Laugh all you want, but a 19 year old son's mommy posting on here to figure out how he can move to Seattle is what is funny. More sad than funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area