U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM

501 posts, read 764,494 times

Advertisements

I mean which areas have the most concentration of tech companies? I'm moving to NW and I want to live outside the City--being more of a subrub/one story/greenery person (may be renting something on acreage even). So, I'd want to live outside Seattle proper but be close to work, without having to take stuff like ferry or being stuck in long commute. Is there a "silicone valley" near Seattle are companies pretty much concentrated around area where Microsoft is?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,563,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
I mean which areas have the most concentration of tech companies? I'm moving to NW and I want to live outside the City--being more of a subrub/one story/greenery person (may be renting something on acreage even). So, I'd want to live outside Seattle proper but be close to work, without having to take stuff like ferry or being stuck in long commute. Is there a "silicone valley" near Seattle are companies pretty much concentrated around area where Microsoft is?
I'd say that in the Seattle area there are a few mini Silicon Valleys:
Downtown Bellevue. Redmond. Downtown Kirkland. Pioneer Square within Seattle, Fremont within Seattle. Issaquah. Microsoft is in Redmond, of course, but also has people in Issaquah, downtown Bellevue, and Pioneer Square. Google has a presence in Fremont and in Kirkland. Adobe is in Fremont. Amazon is in downtown Seattle, near South Lake Union.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,240,750 times
Depends on what kind of tech company. Microsoft and Nintendo rule Redmond, Microsoft, Expedia, Drugstore.com, Bungie, and many, many others dominate Bellevue. Queen Anne has F5 Networks, Big Fish games, and others, but that's Seattle. Could go on all day. It all just depends on what kind of tech company you're looking for.

Just like not every tech company in SV is concentrated (if you posted this in the California forum, people would be pointing out Los Gatos, Palo Alto, Mountain View, etc.), such as the case here.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,337 posts, read 66,135,624 times
The only areas that really meet your requirements are Issaquah and Redmond, where you could live outside Issaquah on Squak or Tiger Mountain or Hobart, or in Fall-City/Carnation/North Bend. For those it means Microsoft, (but then they could assign you to work in Seattle or Bellevue) or one of the smaller companies in those areas.

If you get an interview post the work location and we can give you ideas. Generally affordable property with acreage is going to come with a commute. There are properties near Microsoft with acreage but they are going to cost 7 figures. Look at Bridle Trails in Bellevue.

http://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/2...ls-Bellevue-WA

Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Issaquah sounds good.... more away from the Bay. I'm looking for generic software company clusters.... By acreage, I meant renting, not buying, a guesthouse would suffice.
Yes, Mountain View and Palo Alto are definitely a part of the cluster in Silicone Valley... I lived in Mountain View in 2009-2010. I'd say that Mountain View was mostly just Google company though. Sunnyvale, San Mateo, San Francisco, Cupertino, San Jose, companies really were all over the place--but then, commute wasn't painful at all, and it was possible to commute from Mountain View to San Francisco even, with hardly ever being stuck in traffic.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM

4,246 posts, read 8,294,849 times
Silicone Valley has great views. A lot a guys dream about living there. I hear the produce there is excellent, especially the melons.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

I intensely disliked Silicone Valley. Wouldn't want to live there for a long time. If I had to live in Bay area, I'd rather live in Santa Cruz, or close to Berkeley. Great views got pretty old pretty soon....
SV felt like the place where locals had been displaced/thrown out by newcomers, with only the wealthiest being able to stay, not a nice feeling.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,294,849 times
Well I'm glad there's guys out there that prefer the real thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area