U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,368 posts, read 66,152,660 times

Advertisements

The bears are coming out and apparently having trouble finding food. These were taken about two blocks from us in Sammamish, near Mead Elementary.
Another was spotted in the same area this weekend.

SLIDESHOW: Mother Bear, 2 Cubs Seen In Sammamish - Photos - KIRO Seattle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 12,523 times
Wow, my husband and I just returned from a trip to Seattle, he interviewed and we neighborhood searched together. We LOVED Sammamish, but we both wondered what types of critters live around the area. This at least partly answers the question. Thanks for the link!

PS We were there when the bear was shot in Lynwood.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM

The bears are pretty rare, we've been here 18 years and only twice before have heard of sightings. The deer eat our hostas and rose leaves,
we regularly see opossums, and racoons. We also see 2-3 coyotes a year but only when dark in the very early morning.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,139,759 times
We love living in Sammamish! This same momma and cubs were likely spotted on Mother's Day near our house by Pine Lake in a tree. There are plenty of deer and my neighbor has seen a cougar in the greenbelt before. There is a bald eagle or two that have a nest in Pine Lake and they fly over our bus stop some mornings. Very cool! The school my kids used to go to (Sunny Hills) has sent home e-news a few times saying wildlife was sighted in the area. Their playground is part forest. It's not something to worry about safety wise though. I have yet to hear of anyone in Sammamish being attacked by a black bear. I have heard of two bear attacks the whole time I have lived in Seattle and one was up near Lake Chelan and the other was a man mountain biking in another area of Seattle. Both times dogs were involved. You do have to be aware of wildlife anywhere in WA though!

It's not just Sammamish either. My husband works with someone who has a great photo of a cougar sunning next to her kid's Little Tykes playhouse on their patio!!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 12,523 times
It's not just Sammamish either. My husband works with someone who has a great photo of a cougar sunning next to her kid's Little Tykes playhouse on their patio!! LOL

We loved Pine Lake and will likely focus our search around that area. We ate lunch at Pine Lake park and we saw the eagles flying above.

I'm accustomed to black bear and deer (spent summers in Northern WI). So neither are much of a deterrent for me. We were considering whether or not to fence the back yard my youngest at 5 is small for her age and might be tempting for cougar. We also have a medium sized dog that would likely scare off most animals.

My experience is if the animals are wild enough they are easily scared off by loud noises/barking (and usually avoid populated areas) if they are accustomed to feeding on trash or being fed by people they become overly friendly, as happened in northern WI a while back.

What about wolf packs? Are there any in the area?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak Parker View Post
What about wolf packs? Are there any in the area?
No, just the coyotes. Wolves have been re-introduced to areas east of the mountains but have never been here.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 PM

127 posts, read 376,817 times
One of my son's scout leaders saw some bears on his deck recently, probably the same ones;

From Sammamish Patch Blogs: Bears Spotted Sunday in Sammamish - Sammamish, WA Patch

Old 06-13-2011, 01:53 PM

If you want to see one, there's a good chance on the trail that starts on Lake Alice Road in Fall City and goes to the viewpoint of Snoqualmie Falls.
We have seen bears 3-4 times while walking or biking about half way from the Lake Alice Road parking area to the falls end.

We have seen bears several times there, and you see droppings from them and coyotes all over. If you go, stop for a burger and fries at Small Frye's.

Preston-Snoqualmie Trail | Washington Trails | TrailLink.com

Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,139,759 times
I have never seen evidence or heard any critters messing with my compost cans or trash cans. A little surprised by that to be honest with you but it's not been a problem. I will see deer in my front yard occassionally but we live right off a wetland area that also has a lot of berry foilage in the summer.

So glad you like the Pine Lake area. I feel very blessed to live in such a beautiful area. It's been 4 years and I still feel like I see the beauty with fresh eyes each day!!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,580,902 times
I wonder if they've been seen in the newer developments? I always hear of human encroachment on natural habitats as being a primary driver for people running into bears. But is there any merit to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area