Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times

Advertisements

Is this a safe area? Just curious since apartments, etc. appear to be cheaper here for central Seattle. I'm presuming this is like the 'China Town' area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
There isn't much in the way of apartments in Chinatown. Most of the buildings are quite old and about four to six floors high brick buildings. The first floors are storefronts and the upper floors are dingy rooms, -maybe some apartments. That's the reason they are probably cheaper then elsewhere in town. At night there is a lot of resturant activity and there are a lot of bums and vagrants, but probably no more dangerous then anywhere else in town because everywhere else is full of bums and vagrants as well.
Most of the real Chinese now live in Mercer Island or Bellevue. Chinatown now has a lot of Vetnamiese and SE Asians. Infact, the Eastern side of Chinatown is now referred to as 'Little Nam'.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
There's lots of apartments in the ID. I don't know where Vinylly is going, but the buildings I'm thinking of are on the east side of ID and on the north end there's some apartment buildings about 10-15 stories tall.

Safety though is a concern. Just a couple weeks ago there were some youths fighting and one got stabbed. There's also an Amtrak station nearby which always attracts a "special" crowd, and there's also a few bars or corner stores which attract another type of crowd. For the most part though, don't go looking for trouble and you won't find any. To me the ID is safe.

Though ... I grew up on the South side of Chicago, where gun battles between kids who can't shoot straight happen daily. I didn't live in such areas but every day you hear something like that happening there. Not here in Seattle.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I used to live in one of the perennial flophouses, the Alps Hotel. I think that was back in the 90s. I've heard they've renovated it nicely to studios, they used to be all single rooms. They had an ancient elevator that had to be operated by an even more ancient, troll-like elevator man who would try heroically to manually get the elevator floor to level with the hallway floor, but who would end up having to warn us to watch our steps anyway.

I remember once the cops came in on my floor and one of them said, "Smells like something died in here". I pointed out to him that it was probably the literally rotting industrial carpeting, but then again it might have been one of the many rodents that had met its demise behind the walls. Most of us living there were just waiting patiently for death. Sometimes management would put out those horrible glue traps ..... sometimes the rats or mice would scream a little before dying ..... then I would flip them outside down into the alley.

See, that is one more reason why you should not walk in alleyways late at night. Yes, the International District back then had thugs wandering through it at night. I don't think they mostly lived there, I think they were just thugs from other places who liked to hang out there, perhaps because of a taste for Asian food or Asian women. I didn't see the night time people there very often during the day.

I liked living there, but I'm not one to have to fear getting mugged or beaten up, since I look like a sort of huge, mutant toad. I can agree though with Esker, it's not anywhere near as dangerous as Chicago or parts of LA.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Think old, grungy apartments over stinky restaurants, and plenty of scum around at night. I go there for lunch some times, some places have great $5 specials, but I'd not suggest living there. Sometimes I take the bus and transfer there, at 6:30am there's still some unpleasant characters around.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Thanks for the details!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area