Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,841,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Honestly, you sound like a pretentious, condescending d-bag, and I am not at all surprised that you have had a negative experience, because it sounds like you came here with a crappy attitude before you even stepped off the plane. And it's not like you even came here from a cool part of California.......You are from the *shudder* central valley. The only place in California that actually makes Spokane look cool.
Hello, pot, meet kettle.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:02 PM

576 posts, read 1,816,299 times
I wonder how many of toughguy's posts could be PMs.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,044,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
I wonder how many of toughguy's posts could be PMs.
Are you saying toughguy might have PMS?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,588,397 times
Yep, I have Put Motherf****** in their placeS syndrome.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 PM

769 posts, read 2,228,707 times
Quote:
The thing is, people come in here spouting off some pretty offensive stuff, and it is praised as being "direct"...but then someone retorts in an equally nasty way, and that comes off as passive aggressive. Please explain the difference to me. Some dude from California starts hurling insults about how much the people suck here, and we are expected to sit there like some docile chump?
Ironically, people like him don't realize that talking trash about Seattle on the internet is the same type of passive-aggressive syndrome that Jenni chick was talking about with the nasty email.

Can someone please tell me how you're "directly" solving Seattle's social problems by complaining about them on an internet forum?

Old 11-18-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Ironically, people like him don't realize that talking trash about Seattle on the internet is the same type of passive-aggressive syndrome that Jenni chick was talking about with the nasty email.

Can someone please tell me how you're "directly" solving Seattle's social problems by complaining about them on an internet forum?
I am actually more of a hen than a chick , but I think the difference is that someone posting negative details about the overall essence of a city is different than sending flaming emails to individuals. I think coming out and saying things about a city, whether negative or positive, is actually pretty direct. The nasty email that someone sends isn't really passive aggressive per se. The nasty email is the result (my old professor's hypothesis) of someone not being able to directly address interpersonal conflict. I suppose real passive aggressive behavior would be being upset with someone and then walking away from them when they start to talk or suddenly giving them the cold shoulder - especially when the person on the receiving end of the behavior has no idea there's a problem.

Anyway, no person can directly solve Seattle's social problems. I think most comments are to provide first hand information the people considering a move here.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,588,397 times
Actually he said he can't discuss his hatred for Seattle with the locals, because they have the gall to stick up for where they live. So in other words, he keeps it bottled up and then rants on the internet. Sounds pretty passive agressive to me.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:59 PM

769 posts, read 2,228,707 times
Quote:
Actually he said he can't discuss his hatred for Seattle with the locals, because they have the gall to stick up for where they live. So in other words, he keeps it bottled up and then rants on the internet. Sounds pretty passive agressive to me.
BINGO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I am actually more of a hen than a chick , but I think the difference is that someone posting negative details about the overall essence of a city is different than sending flaming emails to individuals. I think coming out and saying things about a city, whether negative or positive, is actually pretty direct. The nasty email that someone sends isn't really passive aggressive per se. The nasty email is the result (my old professor's hypothesis) of someone not being able to directly address interpersonal conflict. I suppose real passive aggressive behavior would be being upset with someone and then walking away from them when they start to talk or suddenly giving them the cold shoulder - especially when the person on the receiving end of the behavior has no idea there's a problem.

Anyway, no person can directly solve Seattle's social problems. I think most comments are to provide first hand information the people considering a move here.
True, you could say no one person can change Seattle; but you and other people seem to somewhat suggest that it cannot be changed, and you'll just have to deal with it using 3 options: accepting it and becoming part of the loner-mentality pervailing in Seattle; moving away to another place; or complaining about it on the internet. People once said you couldn't get rid of slavery in the U.S., segregation, or give women the right to vote but they all were done. You may be laughing at the idea that I'm comparing slavery, segregation, and women's suffrage to the "Seattle Freeze" but I'm mainly using it as an example. I'm mainly trying to say that no matter how bad this social freeze is in Seattle you can find ways to change it or overcome it. Try inviting people over with beer (which would work better in Portland), or with coffee (which would work better in Seattle). Look for other lonely transplants and try to connect with them. There are tons of you on this forum alone, why can't you p.m. each other, or post ads in the newspaper?

What I want to know is what is all this constant complaining going to do for the situation? If you're going to discuss the freeze, then discuss it. But what are these tons of people who keep whining about it on the internet accomplishing? Somebody please answer me that.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
BINGO!

True, you could say no one person can change Seattle; but you and other people seem to somewhat suggest that it cannot be changed, and you'll just have to deal with it using 3 options: accepting it and becoming part of the loner-mentality pervailing in Seattle; moving away to another place; or complaining about it on the internet. People once said you couldn't get rid of slavery in the U.S., segregation, or give women the right to vote but they all were done. You may be laughing at the idea that I'm comparing slavery, segregation, and women's suffrage to the "Seattle Freeze" but I'm mainly using it as an example. I'm mainly trying to say that no matter how bad this social freeze is in Seattle you can find ways to change it or overcome it. Try inviting people over with beer (which would work better in Portland), or with coffee (which would work better in Seattle). Look for other lonely transplants and try to connect with them. There are tons of you on this forum alone, why can't you p.m. each other, or post ads in the newspaper?

What I want to know is what is all this constant complaining going to do for the situation? If you're going to discuss the freeze, then discuss it. But what are these tons of people who keep whining about it on the internet accomplishing? Somebody please answer me that.
The Seattle Freeze and passive aggressive behavior are two different things. I thought this post was about passive aggressive behavior and not the freeze. The freeze has it's own thread stuck at the top of the page. At least, that was my understanding.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,841,405 times
Quote:
Did you ever consider that the poster's intent is not to solve Seattle's problems, but is, perhaps, just a form of catharsis for them? I think it's silly to consider that a person has hopes of sweeping change by posting on a message board. They're not looking for change, they're looking to see if maybe, just maybe, they're not completely alone in the way they feel.

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area